Bacon replacement

Replies

• teresaj0315
    teresaj0315 Posts: 26 Member
    never replace bacon! Just count it - study the food labels and find the lowest possible in calories and only serve yourself the "portion" on the package. You can eat bacon! I do on weekends ~ i can't live without my bacon! LOL
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    There is no replacement for bacon, no matter how much processing is done to try to make the imposters taste the same. BUT...as far as sausage patties go, the Morningstar Farms Veggie sausage patties are really good!

I call BS. A good quality turkey bacon is darn near identical to normal bacon. Even when I wasn't dieting a lot of times I'd buy turkey bacon instead. It's delicious.

I call BS on this calling of BS. Turkey bacon is no comparison. But my real suggestion would be, buy some things and try them out. People's opinions vary SO MUCH on the great turkey vs pork vs veggie debate! ;)
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    bacon salt., from Baconsalt.com. they believe ( like me) that everything should taste like bacon.. and its low sodium. i wish it was in stores.:happy:
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Just stick with bacon once in a while. Turkey bacon and real bacon are not that different with fat or calories the difference is that the serving size on turkey bacon is smaller so it is actually the same and turkey bacon has more sodium. I think if you dont' have it everyday, there is nothing wrong with having some real bacon once in a while.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Bacon really isn't as bad as it's made out to be, especially if you get center cut and don't eat like 10 slices...
  • I usally eat only one pice or just 1 egg, 1or 2 small pan cakes and a little white rice.Im full then.
  • MandieBellie
    MandieBellie Posts: 39 Member
    There is no replacement for bacon, no matter how much processing is done to try to make the imposters taste the same. BUT...as far as sausage patties go, the Morningstar Farms Veggie sausage patties are really good!

I call BS. A good quality turkey bacon is darn near identical to normal bacon. Even when I wasn't dieting a lot of times I'd buy turkey bacon instead. It's delicious.

^^ agree. BUT not all turkey bacon is flavorful. You have to find and pay for the better turkey bacon.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    turkey bacon!!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member

I respectfully disagree. I've tried several different brands. They smell like bacon, but the taste was not pleasant to me. Lots of people like it, but not me! Blech!

Im with you.. Definitely not the same.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    There is no substitute for Candied Pig.

Turkey bacon is not the same and neither is anything else.

Just eat the bacon rarely and work it into your calorie plan for the day and you'll be okay.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Just eat the bacon!! Two slices have like 4.5g of fat if you buy the center-cut style. Turkey bacon is highly processed and high in sodium and always comes out floppy or like a wood chip. BLEH

I agree. turkey bacon is like bologna. I also don't think fat makes you fat, only having more calories than you need! You could lower the calories overall by using egg whites in addition to eggs, center cut bacon, leaner sausage.
  • The Jennie O turkey bacon is really good the only version I like is definetely Jennie 0, also they have beef bacon in some places I would ask your local deli beef bacons really good.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

Agreed.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    I do my family a mixed grill every week, with bacon, sausage, egg and beans, it's just that bacon is really high in fat, as are the sausages, any ideas for a healthier option that I can eat with the family?
    :noway:

By the time they get done adding all the crap to make a turkey taste like a pig its worse for you than just eating the bacon. Just make it how you normally would and eat less of it.
  • Trying to replace Bacon is like trying to replace a soul. It's just wrong.

This is so true. I have my bacon on free days. I cannt live without it.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Just go with center cut bacon and enjoy.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    I happen to like turkey bacon. I work at a hospital that is 7th Day Adventist so absolutely no red meat and especially no pork at all.
    Its a pretty good substitute
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Bacon and sausage are regularly on my breakfast menu, and they don't register as high as fried potatos. Bacon fat is actually considered good for you... And frankly, I would rather carefully ration full flavor chewy crispy real bacon than eat any turkey substitute. I've tried to go to turkey brats and stuff and it's just not the same, it leaves me wanting something more, which ends up defeating the purpose.