Won't eat THAT again...

Options
So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i don't eat canned soup because of the sodium content...........and I am surely NOT going to go back!

That is disgusting
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat canned soup either. Its cheaper and healthier to make a big pot once a week and freeze some if its too much for your fam to eat.

Between the sodium, and the weird way the chicken looks in the first place, I want NO part of it!
  • agraciana
    agraciana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of Campbells soup for lunch, and now I want to puke.

Yeh, I'll be making my own soup from now on.

It's scary how much we don't know about where our food comes from...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    this is why I make all my soup out of live chickens.

wait.

wut?
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    in the middle of the night once, my wife left a bag of bacon strips on the counter. It was dark, i was half asleep so i had one. It was a friggin dog treat!!! blech!!!!!
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    They market is is made with REAl Chicken.... Not LIVE chicken :(
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Gross! That reminds me of the show Food Inc. and what they showed about Tyson chicken. The chickens were alive but living in awful conditions and grown to be so big breasted that they could not even walk.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww but freshly dead chicken is still freshly dead chicken.
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows a truck driver who works for a company that picks up the "leftovers" from the supermarket butcher departments. The driver told my husband that he also picks up the euthanized animals from the animal shelters too. He said the majority of the animal products they collect is bought and used by a major cosmetics company. I actually cried when my husband told me this.

Of course, it could be worse. I could live in Oklahoma . . .
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

those chickens could have died of anything, so there is very little chance that campbell's puts them in any food designed for human consumption. they would eventually be caught, and this would be the end of the entire brand, overnight.

i've actually worked in food safety product development, and i tend to take every food horror meme on facebook with about a pound of salt.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Ewwwww but freshly dead chicken is still freshly dead chicken.

I agree. While I find it hard to believe that this is true, I have to point out that these chickens come from somewhere. If you want to eat animals, you have to kill them.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    So you want campbell's soup to put live chickens in there? Or slaughter them with their bare hands? o.O
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I had a friend in high school tell me all about hot dogs. I refused to eat them for years. Then I got over myself.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    this reminds me -

I used to work in a kitchen... once a week we would dump our fryalator oil into a big drum out back. whenever it was full, it was picked up by some company to be sold for MAKEUP.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Gross! That reminds me of the show Food Inc. and what they showed about Tyson chicken. The chickens were alive but living in awful conditions and grown to be so big breasted that they could not even walk.

Great documentary. I went vegetarian after watching it!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    They market is is made with REAl Chicken.... Not LIVE chicken :(

They're not rubber chickens. They're real, dead chickens.
  • creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Anything resembling a chicken nugget. After watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, I will never touch another for the rest of my life. Luckily, I had just given up meat entirely shortly before seeing that episode.
  • TimeToDoMe87
    Options
    I have heard that, and SEEN that. Thats why i refuse to eat CANNED anything!!! heck to the NO. Imagine fast food...
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It taste good right?... end of story. go chinese food!
  • wendimacon1
    Options
    I am not sure that organic is really the way to go. You really want farm raised. Have you seen Food Matters? They talk about organic a little bit. Organic is a little better but not by much.