Won't eat THAT again...

Options

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    SO weird because I saw the title of the post and assumed it would be people posting about foods they can no longer eat. My very first thought was, "I'll never eat Campbell's soup again. The thought of it makes me gag." and I had NO idea about what you posted. I just think it's nasty and when I open a can, I gag.

Interesting.....
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    this is why I make all my soup out of live chickens.

wait.

wut?

Uh oh, here comes the thread about the chicken pee diet. *eyes rolling*
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This makes me SO relieved that I am a vegetarian!

^^^^^^ This. I make myself a huge pot of vegetarian soup every week on Sundays. Don't miss the meat at all.

I went vegetarian over the summer and the only reason i went back over to the dark side was chicken broth...lol Silly i know but i love mrs. grass soup...lol Killed me not to eat it all summer :(
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, never cared for Campbell's anyway. I like Progresso and Healthy Choice.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Bynsky, LMAO!! I LOVE Douglas Adams and I nearly died laughing when I read that scene in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" for the first time, thanks for the laugh again!!!

As for who or what goes into chicken soup... who cares? Chicken is chicken, I use chicken when I make my homemade soup. The only canned soup I eat on a regular basis is Campbell's sodium reduced tomato and PC Blue Menu Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper.

I'm with everyone else, the chicken's gotta come from somewhere. Now unless he's leaving the chicken sitting there for an extended period of time to where it becomes inedible that's a different story but really, all animals have to killed at some point before we can consume it, so really who cares????
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Did you think the chickens were alive?

Confused here
    I guess for me its just the vision of having a pile of dead chickens on the ground that were not slaughtered for their meat but died for whatever reason and tossed out. I know there are people that "Dumpster dive" for food but I never really thought of food companies doing it?!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beeblebrox's table,
    a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with
    large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have
    been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

'Good evening', it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches,
    'I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts
    of my body?'

It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters in
    to a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from
    Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and
    naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

'Something off the shoulder perhaps?' suggested the animal,
    'Braised in a white wine sauce?'

'Er, your shoulder?' said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

'But naturallymy shoulder, sir,' mooed the animal contentedly,
    'nobody else's is mine to offer.'

Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling
    the animal's shoulder appreciatively.

'Or the rump is very good,' murmured the animal. 'I've been
    exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there's a lot
    of good meat there.'

It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew
    the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

'Or a casselore of me perhaps?' it added.

'You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?' whispered
    Trillian to Ford.

'Me?' said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes, 'I don't mean
    anything.'

'That's absolutely horrible,' exclaimed Arthur, 'the most revolting
    thing I've ever heard.'

'What's the problem Earthman?' said Zaphod, now transfering his
    attention to the animal's enormous rump.

'I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing there
    inviting me to,' said Arthur, 'It's heartless.'

'Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be
    eaten,' said Zaphod.

'That's not the point,' Arthur protested. Then he thought about it
    for a moment. 'Alright,' he said, 'maybe it is the point. I don't
    care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just ... er ... I
    think I'll just have a green salad,' he muttered.

'May I urge you to consider my liver?' asked the animal,
    'it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding
    myself for months.'

'A green salad,' said Arthur emphatically.

'A green salad?' said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly
    at Arthur.

'Are you going to tell me,' said Arthur, 'that I shouldn't have
    green salad?'

'Well,' said the animal, 'I know many vegetables that are
    very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually
    decided to cut through the whoile tangled problem and breed
    an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of
    saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am.'

It managed a very slight bow.

'Glass of water please,' said Arthur.

'Look,' said Zaphod, 'we want to eat, we don't want to make
    a meal of the issues. Four rare stakes please, and hurry.
    We haven't eaten in five hundred and sevebty-six thousand
    million years.'

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle.
    'A very wise coice, sir, if I may say so. Very good,' it
    said, 'I'll just nip off and shoot myself.'

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur.
    'Don't worry, sir,' he said, 'I'll be very humane.'

It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

:love: Douglas Adams actually DID know the answer.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This is partly why I am vegetarian.

:flowerforyou:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Did you think the chickens were alive?

Confused here
    I guess for me its just the vision of having a pile of dead chickens on the ground that were not slaughtered for their meat but died for whatever reason and tossed out. I know there are people that "Dumpster dive" for food but I never really thought of food companies doing it?!

So because they died of old age or whatever, that's somehow more gross than a chicken who was raised solely to be killed?
  • Kilotango55
    Options
    Have heard that pie manufacturers by whole cows, freeze the carcasses and grind them up bones, skin and all. Not sure they can still get a way with since CJD...but it wasn't unknown in the 80s just wish I can remember the name of the manufacturer...quite well known (UK)
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Well I will say this... we can't trust our food companies plain and simple.... gurantee our governers and political people don't eat anything but organic or fresh grown. They know what the food industry does with our foods... lol ;) They are funding it. Hormones, Antibiotics... etc etc etc...! I am not a fanatic on the whole eat organic, food comapnies torture animals but.. I did watch Food Inc. , I am a mother, and I have a heart lol :) Soo I would say organic is much healthier, and a lot less bad for you... but now a days, What isn't bad for you?
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with everyone? You never eat livestock that died from unknown causes! It IS totally different than a slaughtered animal. It is incredibly stupid and unsafe. That said I don't believe that story. I cook with cream of chicken on occasion and don't plan on stopping.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

I highly doubt that the dead chickens go directly in to a food product - more likely mixed in with other organic waste to fertilize crops. Many food companies contract out the growing of specific strains of vegetables that optimize their recipes.

FDA and USDA do not allow use of animals that died other than during the slaughter process in human food (I can't speak to animal feed), and if the fact that Campbell's buys dead chickens is so widely known by farmers as to be posted on FB, it would not escape regulators etc. It would have made the national news and the practice changed.
  • brandieb123
    Options
    OMG!!! Yes I read an article yesterday infact about what chicken nuggets are made of...GROSSSSSS!! Alot of processed meat has the bones, eyes, colon in it. We all know how companies like to cut corners sometimes and then spiffy them up if DHEC or OSHA or FDA comes in....imagine what is put in food when no one is watching!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I prefer Progresso lower sodium minestrone soup. Still not as great as homemade but its on hand if we need a quick meal.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options

wait.

wut?

First of all.. that was HILARIOUS. :)
    But yea.. consumers don't have any idea what they're eating in general. I heard a story about pickles once that pretty much changed the way I look at wild animals.. and urine for that matter. Thanks for the tip.. No pickles, and now, no Campbell's. And I'm sure we all know not to eat hot dogs.. unless you want to eat pig snout.
  • rachel_d_b
    Options
    I just watched a documentary titled Forks Over Knives...it changed my life. I am now serious about reading the labels of what I ingest...I never even thought about some of the stuff that is marketed for us to think is healthy until I watched this. You definitely have to be aware of what it is you are buying.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine on FB just posted about how her dad is an egg farmer and that he always has a pile of dead chickens in the corner of the barn (such is farm life). Campbell’s soup comes and buys all the dead chickens...not sure what happens next but that is all I needed to hear?! The more I read and learn the more I am convinced about an organic lifestyle! There goes canned soup! Have you ever heard anything like this that made you change your eating habits?

Was your friend an original poster? Or was this a "chain" status update? I'm willing to bet that has been copied, pasted, and spread more often that the flu.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of Campbells soup for lunch, and now I want to puke.

Yeh, I'll be making my own soup from now on.

It's scary how much we don't know about where our food comes from...

That is why it is important to ditch the boxed, packaged, frozen convenience foods and find local sources to purchase your food.

The majority of all the grains, vegetables and fruits in the stores are GMO. I want no part of GMO products.

I get Compassionate certified Pork, free range (like just run around the yard and scrounge up food, bugs, grass, etc) chicken and eggs, Beef and dairy come from local farms.

We no longer eat fish unless we go catch it ourselves. All of our fruits and vegetables are pretty much what is grown in local organic green house, CSA membership or if we do buy a few things from trader joe's, dierbergs or whole foods - it is organically certified.

I know where my food comes from. I can go directly to the source except for a few items.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

wait.

wut?

First of all.. that was HILARIOUS. :)
    But yea.. consumers don't have any idea what they're eating in general. I heard a story about pickles once that pretty much changed the way I look at wild animals.. and urine for that matter. Thanks for the tip.. No pickles, and now, no Campbell's. And I'm sure we all know not to eat hot dogs.. unless you want to eat pig snout.

YUM, I eat pig snout BBQ'd on the grill. It is awesome.