Is belly fat really the last to go?

Options
I am here wondering if belly fat is really the last thing to go. I have heard that a lot and wanted to see your thoughts. Also, any tips to get rid of the mid section a little faster? I am in this for the long haul so I am not looking for an easy way out, but it sure would be nice to see more improvement in the middle along the way.

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it is....It is the absolute LAST place that I lose weight. :( And the FIRST place that I put it on! Booo!
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i have heard it is on women cos thats where we naturally hold fat to protect our womb and ovaries ect, not alot you can do people say just gotta do cardio and plank/situps to tone it as you go! i would love to see what people say on here though cos thats my problem area too!
    xx
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Not for me! it was the first to go.. I am rally middle heavy though.. I think they call it apple.... So besides my best girls my belly fat is going... :) Everyone is Diff!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would say yes on the belly fat last thing to go question!

i too and struggling with belly fat too, i have probably 10 maybe 15lbs of fat to lose total throughout my entire body. and about an inch of fat on my stomach to lose... uggghhhhh

it was easy for me to lose 50lbs..
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is indeed the last to go for 99.9% of the population. There is no way to spot reduce. You have to keep at it losing weight. Eventually your body will let it go.

The last 15 lbs or so is the hardest. That is the deep abdominal fat, and your body loves it like scrooge mc duck loves his money vault...
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I always lose it there first. My thighs are the last to go!
  • Mama2CnR
    Mama2CnR Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In my case, it is the last to go :( I'm 18lbs away from my goal and my belly (and inner thighs) are still pretty jiggely! Especially in comparison to the rest of my body now... I just started INSANITY the other day, and plan to alternate that with my regular gym workouts (3/4 cardio, 1/4 strength training) and hope for the best lol
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It isn't hard-wired to be the last thing to go. Generally you lose it first where you gained it last, so if you've put on some back fat this year, you'll lose that before you lose the belly you've had since high school. It can just *seem* like your belly is the last thing to go because it's what most of us focus on the most. It's the watched pot that never seems to boil.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, but in general for people who tend to carry the majority of their fat in the belly area, yes it's usually the last place to clear. Some people carry their fat in their lower body (butt/hips/thighs) and those people tend to lose the fat last in those areas. It's just the way it is.

As far as speeding it up, there's no magic mid-section shrinker. You have to continue on the path of healthy eating at a calorie deficit, hopefully doing some exercise, and you will burn the fat off your body.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    same here....but mine is going away slowly cause i started doing exercises targeting my stomach...YET WERE ALL DIFFERENT SO THIS JUST SEEMS TO BE WORKING FOR ME...just know it will go away...lol:)
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    for me, it wasnt really the LAST, but I lost proportionally all over, so my belly still looked big because the rest of me was smaller too.
  • joslynbolding
    Options
    Totally agree Ive lost over 90 pounds and it is the first place I gain and last place to leave. I try very hard not to obsess but I hate it !!!! So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The last place to lose is always the place where you want it gone the most. It's the Murphy's Law of weight loss.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Whats the best advice anyone can give as to what to do as you lose weight? i mean i have 2 kids and don;t want to be left with a massive apron once i lose weight, any suggestions on the best toning exercises?
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i think so... its hard as **** to get rid of...thats for sure
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot reduce" so it is different for everyone. My belly fat was the first to go and my waist measurement went down more than any other area on my body (from 45.5" to 27") but my hips and thighs were much slower to "shrink."

Just focus on getting healthy - eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drink plenty of water, and move your body. Your body will respond.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    same here....but mine is going away slowly cause i started doing exercises targeting my stomach...YET WERE ALL DIFFERENT SO THIS JUST SEEMS TO BE WORKING FOR ME...just know it will go away...lol:)
    you cant focus on a spot on your body, and lose weight there.. you're not wasting your time, but you could be doing much much more.. best of luck to you
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It is the last to go. I'm underweight at 101 yet I still have a protuberance right underneath my belly button. So when I do knee raises, I see that gross crease.
    But I tend to be all belly. Everything else is ok.
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    It's not for me, but we're all different. While I typically gain weight/lose proportionately all over, I have a good friend who always loses butt & breast first, belly fat last.
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on the person. For me, I am losing fat in my stomach faster than I am anywhere else. I don't think you can do anything to specifically target your stomach for fat loss. I believe fat comes off where fat comes off..... I learned that best thing you can do to help your body get rid of stomach fat is to just exercise regularly. However, this doesn't guarantee that you will lose stomach fat rapidly. Hopefully, that makes some sense. Good luck and keep up the exercise!