Is belly fat really the last to go?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No. It depends on your genetics.

For a lot of women, it can be, but also you do see women with the typical "hourglass" shape: small waist/belly and larger hips and chest. It really is different for everyone.

For me, it seems like 90% of my fat gain goes on my belly. It goes on there first, before anywhere else, and comes off their last! It really is frustrating but with time and patience it will reduce from that area too. For some women I know, their stomach is flat, but all their weight is on their hips/thighs. Same scenario, time and patience. We all have stubborn areas.
  • dziningme
    dziningme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating sugar, high fructose corn syrup and processed foods from your diet and see if it helps. It helps me ALOT. Drink lots of water too. About a gallon per day. Abdominal exercises will strengthen and tone the ab muscles, but "abs are made in the kitchen". Clean eating is the way to go. Good luck. :)
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am at 21% body fat 5'2" and 110 and am a pear. Below my belly button and my hips and upper thighs refuse to go away. My shoulders and chest have no fat left on them at all and the veins show on my arms. It is frustrating.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it's your body type, determined by genetics, that determine where the fat will be stubborn. 2/3 of women are pear and store weight bellow the belly button. When women complain of belly fat, it's usually a lower stomach pooch. It's not the same as the fat around the abdomen and heart that apple shapes (some women and all men) tend to store. The good news is that it's not as dangerous for your health. The bad news is that it's stubborn as all get out.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The last place to lose is always the place where you want it gone the most. It's the Murphy's Law of weight loss.

yup
  • Tararatus
    Tararatus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me that's struggling to get rid of that last bit of belly fat! But after raving reviews about hula hooping I'm buying a weighted hula hoop have heard they get rid of the fat on the belly and tone it up went to buy one today and had sold out I really want one and think it will be fun aswel as effective :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Fat is burned all over. Honestly, it is just a myth/misconception.

^This^

It burns off evenly, but if you store more in your tummy area, it seems like you're burning it off slower, but only because there's more of it. As long as you're doing core work, there's nothing more you can do, outside of lipo.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my gut is huge, so it seems like it comes off my stomach quickest. i lose inches there fast.

face is last. :(
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always lose it there first. My thighs are the last to go!

me too!
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    For me personally, it's the leg and arm fat that's the last thing to go!!! It just won't go away!
  • chrisbeavers311
    Options
    This is copied from an article on the subject but I think it provides the best answer.

First of all, your body stores fat in your midsection (your abdomen, hips or buttocks) due to basic biomechanics. The midsection of your body is the best place to store extra energy because it takes less energy to carry it around. Remember, fat storage is a survival strategy, so your body wants to maximize energy efficiency in the creation, storage and use of body fat.

It wouldn't make sense to have a lot of extra fat on your fingers and toes because you'd have to swing those around when you moved and that would require extra caloric expenditure. So given that your body wants to store fat as a way to have portable energy, it makes perfect sense that it would prefer to store that fat in your midsection.

Secondly, from an anthropological point of view, the placement of body fat also has some implications for mate selection. This is especially true in women, where fat is stored in locations like the hips, buttocks and breasts to actually create a more attractive physical body in order to attract a potential mate. In this way, the fat is stored in predetermined locations on your body for much the same reason that a male peacock has brightly colored feathers -- it's part of the mating game, so to speak. Exaggeration of physical traits is a common evolutionary strategy for mate attraction in primates, including humans. And body fat can be used cosmetically to pursue this strategy.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/006981_abdominal_fat_body.html#ixzz2sPzeEu9N
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've always lost back and belly fat first. Arms are the last unfortunately, as far as seeing big changes. But I think that it's just that I see the dramatic changes in those areas first, because measurements prove that I lose in all areas steadily, when I'm keeping with the program.

Same for me...except my arms do lose slower based off measurements.

Your body type does play a roll in where you'll be more predisposed to lose first.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me that's struggling to get rid of that last bit of belly fat! But after raving reviews about hula hooping I'm buying a weighted hula hoop have heard they get rid of the fat on the belly and tone it up went to buy one today and had sold out I really want one and think it will be fun aswel as effective :)

You can't spot reduce so you'll lose in that area when your body is ready to lose it.

I'm sure it would help strengthen your core though and will more than likely be tons of fun...:)
  • callowaymk5
    callowaymk5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have started this process about a month ago and notice areas toning except my belly!
    I do focus T25 and insanity 2 times a week and weights 2 days a week
    High protien low carb/sugar diet
    I feel great
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it is....It is the absolute LAST place that I lose weight. :( And the FIRST place that I put it on! Booo!

Ever heard of the mysticak chinese dish Chin2Fat? thats the last place - if your belly can't store anymore it starts to shift up to your boobs and chin / neck area! nothing worse
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    I always lose it there first. My thighs are the last to go!

Same here!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I never have stomach fat. My love handles, on the other hand, won't budge!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    For me yes. It's been a 2 year journey to getting healthy and yesterday I saw the first glimpse of ab definition. ;) It's also the first place I gain when my diet is crap. **sigh**
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the first to go for me, which is quite surprising considering I'm a pear shape, I guess my body hangs onto fat in the bottom half a lot more than top half.