Public Service Announcement

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
*gets on his soap box*

"Because it works for me" is not a good reason to give advice.
Because you read it somewhere (even here on MFP) is not a good reason to give advice.
Because your doctor or some other perceived expert said it is not a good reason to give advice.

You should only be giving advice if you *gasp* actually know what your talking about, if you actually understand the concepts being discussed.

There is A TOOON of info on MFP. Most of it is bad, or at least irrelevant without some context (which is rarely provided) to frame the advice being given.

People post on these boards looking for help getting healthy. Far too often people give them advice which is regurgitated crap the read/heard somewhere else. Sometimes it's based on the adviser's personal experience.

Guess what... the OP of that question is not you, so your experience has virtually no bearing on their question.

So the only way to have a meaningful (not to mention helpful) conversation is to actually understand the concepts behind the question/advice and discuss those concepts as they relate to the person in question, which means you also have to take the time to understand the question being asked.

You have to understand the big picture before you can discuss the smaller elements.

*steps down*

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    2375254148_3201d51045_o.gif
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I wish that gif had audio!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

:laugh:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't understand?

So if someone asks a question we are not supposed to respond?

I didn't know that. Thanks for the post. :noway:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    So, basically if anyone wants good information, they're supposed to contact you? Well, unless they need spelling and grammar help. You start a thread sure to cause drama, yet your profile says you try to stay out of drama. I love irony.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I like pie.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious .... who is qualified to answer these questions according to you?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So, basically if anyone wants good information, they're supposed to contact you? Well, unless they need spelling and grammar help. You start a thread sure to cause drama, yet your profile says you try to stay out of drama. I love irony.
    Not at all. There are a lot of people on the boards who know this stuff inside out and backwards. Those are the people who should be doing the bulk of the posting around here, not the "you should eat your exercise calories because I do and it works for me" people.

If you're not going to support your advice with science, or at least logic, then don't post.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i like turtles

OP is right though....way too many "my cousin is a trainer and he said to do this...." kind of comments on here.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    SQUIRREL!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Not at all. There are a lot of people on the boards who know this stuff inside out and backwards. Those are the people who should be doing the bulk of the posting around here, not the "you should eat your exercise calories because I do and it works for me" people.

If you're not going to support your advice with science, or at least logic, then don't post.

*Hands him the MFP police badge*
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm just curious .... who is qualified to answer these questions according to you?

People who actually know what they are talking about. People who actually understand the concept of exercise calories or starvation mode or metabolism or whatever else is in question. NOT people who simply repeat what they read in a previous thread.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with answering a question with "this works for me"? Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't post? Unless you're a new mod of whom I'm not aware.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    *Hands him the MFP police badge*

:laugh:
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options

hahahah
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    Do you feel better now?:flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BILLY BANKS!!!!

:bigsmile:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    But I can still recommend HCG to people because I heard on the commercial that it helps people lose weight, right?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    What's wrong with answering a question with "this works for me"? Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't post? Unless you're a new mod of whom I'm not aware.

Because it's unhelpful. Who are you? And why does your situation have anything to do with mine? What works for you may or may not work for anyone else, and without any actual supporting information, no one can gauge whether or not your advice is suitable to their situation.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    But I can still recommend HCG to people because I heard on the commercial that it helps people lose weight, right?

Yes, obviously HCG commercials are an exception.
This discussion has been closed.