Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    fascinating128499311920312500.jpg
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing though... proven scientific research isn't absolute. It still has different effects on different people with different body types and different ailments. I DO want to hear from people similar to me, about their experience. Do you know why? Because my doctor is an idiot. Because sometimes things that aren't supposed to work, do work.

I do my research before I try anything, and talking to LOTS of people forms part of that research. I love MFP for that. I also know it's full of people telling me muscle is heavier than fat. And it's ok to eat anything and as much as I want as long as I do Tae Bo.

*OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!!!!????!!!!*

Oh yes, she did. Popcorn in hand, bring it.

If it wasn't for MFPeeps telling me what worked for them, I would probably still be the same as I was, if not worse than before. I would never have found out about all of the awesome programs that I know of now and I would not have a clue as to how to handle EDs.
    PS. I would be careful with the Tae Bo on here.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    2375254148_3201d51045_o.gif

:laugh:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    LMBO
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get that things have to be backed up by science. But I would hope people would know: 1) unless a replier quotes their source it's an oppinion 2) personal experience is actually valuable, and emotionally its nice to know others are struggling with your issue too and 3) regardless of what you may learn from other's experience, a (real, not virtual) doctor trumps internet advice. If this is all a common understanding, we're good.

So, you want to tell me why you've hit a plateu and how you have busted through them in the past? Go ahead! I'd love to hear it! Doesn't mean I'm going to try and give myself gastric bypass surgery just because someone said it worked them. Please, give readers some credit!
  • surgesilk
    Options
    My alien probe buddy told me you are all full of crap.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When there is debate among the so called "experts", I think there remains room for dialogue among the unlearned or unworthy in your eyes. Here is what you should do.

Start a group.
    Yes, and all the willing can flock to your cause to glean what you offer.

Count me OUT!
    But I am sure the stampede to your group is loud and thunderous.

Right?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

9789062.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Because it's unhelpful. Who are you? And why does your situation have anything to do with mine? What works for you may or may not work for anyone else, and without any actual supporting information, no one can gauge whether or not your advice is suitable to their situation.
    Then don't ask! If someone asks for advice, they may want to hear what has worked for other people. By the way, I never give fitnes/diet advice on here because I'm "no one". Give people enough credit to look through the advice they're given and see what might work for them.

Then you're already doing what I'm asking the masses to do... use a little discretion when posting. If you're not at least reasonably well informed on a topic, don't give advice on it.

Obviously it's different if someone is asking for different options or asking about what other people have had success with. But when someone is asking for information, advice, or suggestions on how to accomplish something, actual information needs to be given.

And seriously.... give people credit to sift out the crap??? Have you seen some of the questions asked around here? There are way too many people new to fitness, and way too many people who have bought into the crap they see during infomercials to assume anything.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So, basically if anyone wants good information, they're supposed to contact you? Well, unless they need spelling and grammar help. You start a thread sure to cause drama, yet your profile says you try to stay out of drama. I love irony.
    Not at all. There are a lot of people on the boards who know this stuff inside out and backwards. Those are the people who should be doing the bulk of the posting around here, not the "you should eat your exercise calories because I do and it works for me" people.

If you're not going to support your advice with science, or at least logic, then don't post.

Because these people "know this stuff inside out"? Seriously? And how do they know it inside and out? CUZ THEY TRIED IT AND IT WORKED FOR THEM. Which, is exactly disputing the first thing you said on here, which is people shouldn't answer threads saying what worked for them. I would like to quote someone and ask then, if i by experience with my own weight loss, as well as the months of research i've done, as well as my doctor who specializes in sports medicine, as well as tony horton of p90x, as well as other top trainers in the world are not qualified to answer threads, then who is?? JUST YOU?!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You get what you ask for when you post questions on the boards. It is up to the individual what placebo they want to buy into.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I feel that even worse than giving poor advice is the people who take what they read on the internet as fact! I read some of these forums and I lose it when I read so many misleading facts and inaccurate information being passed around. I try to post links when I can to help clarify my statements....I wish others would too! If I see one more person offer suggestions for 0 or negative calorie food I might die! LIES!!! The worst is people believe it.
    STOP POSTING CRAP and STOP BELIEVING CRAP!!!!
  • surgesilk
    Options
    Smartest girl on here ^
    I
    I

9789062.jpg
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion from my own experience (sorry...), but if it weren't for someone telling me what worked for them, I am almost certain that I would never have met my goal, despite all the "facts" given to me by MFP and its experts.

I am very thankful for some well-meaning individuals who cared enough to tell me their own experience.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Not at all. There are a lot of people on the boards who know this stuff inside out and backwards. Those are the people who should be doing the bulk of the posting around here, not the "you should eat your exercise calories because I do and it works for me" people.
    If you're not going to support your advice with science, or at least logic, then don't post.
    What's wrong with answering a question with "this works for me"? Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't post? Unless you're a new mod of whom I'm not aware.

Because it's unhelpful. Who are you? And why does your situation have anything to do with mine? What works for you may or may not work for anyone else, and without any actual supporting information, no one can gauge whether or not your advice is suitable to their situation.
    Wrong!
    I see great value in people sharing with me actual results.
    You can keep your boring studies, science and hot air.

Show me RESULTS!
    I have them, and I want to hear from others who have earned results as well.
    No, this is just how it works here, and thank heavens the creators of this community feel likewise.

It would be a boring, lonely place if you had your way.
    Again, go start a group or your own community, and let's see how that works for you.
    I predict FAILURE!

Prove me wrong.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with answering a question with "this works for me"? Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't post? Unless you're a new mod of whom I'm not aware.

Wrong!
    I see great value in people sharing with me actual results.
    You can keep your boring studies, science and hot air.

Show me RESULTS!
    I have them, and I want to hear from others who have earned results as well.
    No, this is just how it works here, and thank heavens the creators of this community feel likewise.

It would be a boring, lonely place if you had your way.
    Again, go start a group or your own community, and let's see how that works for you.
    I predict FAILURE!

Prove me wrong.

settle down guy....it's the internet.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like pie.

Mmmmmmm.. now I want pie!!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    ATTENTION MFP-

I'm currently drinking a cup of coffee.

This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

I also just burnt my tongue while drinking this coffee.

Still, this coffee is quite tasty.

That is all, carry on.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    ATTENTION MFP-

I'm currently drinking a cup of coffee.

This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

I also just burnt my tongue while drinking this coffee.

Still, this coffee is quite tasty.

That is all, carry on.

Do you like your coffee like you like your women? Ground up and in the freezer? :O
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    If I want an answer that I know is backed up by science, I'll go ask my doctor. Not a website forum. Come on, this isn't hard. There's tons of made-up, wrong, pointless, irrelevant, misleading, and sometimes just plain dangerous "advice" on the boards. If a person hasn't figured that out, maybe they should get off the internet. And maybe other persons should accept that this is NOT a medical advice board, and who posts what cannot be filtered by an idea of who knows what for real. Best of luck, anyhow.
This discussion has been closed.