Public Service Announcement

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    BILLY BANKS!!!!
    Who? That name sounds awfully familiar...just can't place it. hmm....
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Not at all. There are a lot of people on the boards who know this stuff inside out and backwards. Those are the people who should be doing the bulk of the posting around here, not the "you should eat your exercise calories because I do and it works for me" people.
    If you're not going to support your advice with science, or at least logic, then don't post.
    What's wrong with answering a question with "this works for me"? Who are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't post? Unless you're a new mod of whom I'm not aware.

It depends on the way the question was written.

If someone asks for "opinions", then its to be expected that there will be varying answers. But if someone asks for "truths", then you'll probably want some science to back up your claims.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Because it's unhelpful. Who are you? And why does your situation have anything to do with mine? What works for you may or may not work for anyone else, and without any actual supporting information, no one can gauge whether or not your advice is suitable to their situation.
    Then don't ask! If someone asks for advice, they may want to hear what has worked for other people. By the way, I never give fitnes/diet advice on here because I'm "no one". Give people enough credit to look through the advice they're given and see what might work for them.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious .... who is qualified to answer these questions according to you?

People who actually know what they are talking about. People who actually understand the concept of exercise calories or starvation mode or metabolism or whatever else is in question. NOT people who simply repeat what they read in a previous thread.

Yes but who gets to decide who knows what they are talking about and who 'doesn't'?
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This post was only slightly arrogant in a very large way. Thank you for that.
  • kuyjlc
    kuyjlc Posts: 1
    Options
    goodness. everyone retract their claws and breathe. cant we all just get along? :flowerforyou:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Yes but who gets to decide who knows what they are talking about and who 'doesn't'?
    The OP does. Have you not been paying attention? :laugh:
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Who cares what you think about experts and advice, OP... I sure don't. Why don't you stop flapping your jaw and go for a run. This is a FITNESS site, not a popularity contest.

Have a good day. Or don't. Whatever.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better now?
    Gosh...this is so mean!
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Because it's unhelpful. Who are you? And why does your situation have anything to do with mine? What works for you may or may not work for anyone else, and without any actual supporting information, no one can gauge whether or not your advice is suitable to their situation.
    Then don't ask! If someone asks for advice, they may want to hear what has worked for other people. By the way, I never give fitnes/diet advice on here because I'm "no one". Give people enough credit to look through the advice they're given and see what might work for them.

My advice to you is to go away :)
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Any reader begins with the understanding that what she is reading could be false, right? There's still a value to circumstantial evidence, if only just to point your thinking in a way you had not considered before.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

You can't simply assume the OP can sift through the crap. There are so many people who are new to fitness, and if they get bad advice, it can set them back, or get them in trouble with their program. Like I said before, it all depends on if they want hard facts or personal experience. Unfortunately, too many people use their personal experience as scientific fact.

Case in point - science proves smoking is bad for you. Many people know someone who seem to not suffer from smoking after 40 years of doing it. Which advice does a naive person take?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Personally, and this may only work for me, but, I like the opinions and hearing what has worked for other people. I realize that their way may not be the right way. I certainly dont really look for concrete answers here. I am mostly here for support and to be able to talk to people that have some of the same struggles. I am also incredibly interested in the lengths that people will go to accomplish their goals. When I want ACTUAL instruction, I go to my personal trainer, my nutritionist or my doctor. Since none of you are any of them, I will continue to just enjoy the interaction.

As a side note, there are very few people here who have not been in this situation for either a long time or are fresh to the concept. If someone is really stupid enough to take the "cat pee" diet seriously, they need to get sick so that they will be forced to talk to a doctor..... you know.... a professional..... with proof and junk.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    this is what i thought of...

jayzdiamond.jpg
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    And exactly how are the new people supposed to know who these "experts" are? And who gets to decide who is the expert.

I rarely post my opinions about fitness b/c I am no expert. But I have often posted to the newbies to look at all the responses they get, then look at those people's tickers and/or profiles. You can quickly figure out that someone who has an impressive loss or other accomplishments are the ones you should be listening to.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing though... proven scientific research isn't absolute. It still has different effects on different people with different body types and different ailments. I DO want to hear from people similar to me, about their experience. Do you know why? Because my doctor is an idiot. Because sometimes things that aren't supposed to work, do work.

I do my research before I try anything, and talking to LOTS of people forms part of that research. I love MFP for that. I also know it's full of people telling me muscle is heavier than fat. And it's ok to eat anything and as much as I want as long as I do Tae Bo.

*OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!!!!????!!!!*

Oh yes, she did. Popcorn in hand, bring it.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    But I love it when people tell me what works for them and their pine cone bird feeders.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    this is what i thought of...

jayzdiamond.jpg

OMG ILLUMINATI?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But I love it when people tell me what works for them and their pine cone bird feeders.

Think about it... if left to my own devices, I would have used honey and **cked it all up!
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    Here's the thing though... proven scientific research isn't absolute. It still has different effects on different people with different body types and different ailments. I DO want to hear from people similar to me, about their experience. Do you know why? Because my doctor is an idiot. Because sometimes things that aren't supposed to work, do work.

I do my research before I try anything, and talking to LOTS of people forms part of that research. I love MFP for that. I also know it's full of people telling me muscle is heavier than fat. And it's ok to eat anything and as much as I want as long as I do Tae Bo.

*OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!!!!????!!!!*

Oh yes, she did. Popcorn in hand, bring it.

Not all people have your insight though. The point the OP is trying to make is to give solid advice for people who haven't a clue. That is all. Some things ARE absolute too.
This discussion has been closed.