Why are some so desperate.........................

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
to lose weight that they fall for scams? Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN. Weight loss SAFELY comes down to a few things

Calorie deficit
Exercise to accelerate it and to help retain lean muscle (that means you have to strength train)
Rest
Good overall diet that ensures getting in all your daily essentials.

THAT'S IT!!!!! No pills, no gimmicks, no shakes, no cleanses, no HCG, no wrist bands, no infomercial gadgets..................

Follow above program and you will succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Body by Vi is really growing i think :P

I'm not sure why so many fall for it. Like the shakes and such are going to make you lose more weight.. even when you have the same about of calories? I don't get it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They are sabotaged by their own belief system.
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's easy to despair at these scams, but a combination of a lack of understanding of nutrition and fitness combined with false hope probably is what makes scams attractive. Annoying I know.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN.
    Sadly, this will never be cleared up. You may reach a couple of people here and there. But the gazillion-dollar weight loss industry isn't getting funded by people who want to eat at a calorie deficit and exercise. Everyone wants that bikini body in pill form.

At least a lottery ticket has a mathematical possibility....
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    yep.. i just saw a topic on here about hydroxycut too.. haha
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Wait you mean that butt jiggilator thing my mom bought in the 90s is not going to melt my fat away? I am writing the manufacturer now.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    And stick with it for several months and/or years. No quick fixes. No being impatient about "slow" loss (3lbs in 5 weeks is GREAT, yet someone was complaining about just today). No freaking out about temporary water gain.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    yep.. i just saw a topic on here about hydroxycut too.. haha

I tried hydroxycut when I was younger for 3 weeks. All it did was SERIOUSLY f** up my skin!

:explode: :mad: :explode: :mad:
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    But that's just what it is: desperation. It's that feeling that even one extra day of having a body you don't want means putting some major goal or part of your life on hold. It has to be soon, fast, now! We've been raised on magic and fantasies and happy endings; how can we possibly want anything less?
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    People aren't educated well enough to take care of themselves properly or to lose weight the right way. It doesn't help either that they are surrounded by convenience foods that are terrible for them. I really feel nutrition labels should be mandatory on ALL foods for this reason, including fast food products and things like that. At least that would leave out most of the guesswork for people...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,086 Member
    Options
    Wait you mean that butt jiggilator thing my mom bought in the 90s is not going to melt my fat away? I am suingthe manufacturer now.

Fixed that for ya.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Many of these products are easy to fall for (like Body by Vi) because people need to feel like the are being punished.....it's too easy to eat normal food - they do that everyday and look where it gets them ;)
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN.
    At least a lottery ticket has a mathematical possibility....

This made me laugh :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In this day and age though, people want weight loss.. and they want it now.

Why the hell would they want to actually change what they eat and exercise(basically the "hard way") when they can pop a pill that supposedly does it all for them?

There will always be a million and one excuses like there will always be a million and one diet pills/fads diets.. and there will always be a million and one suckers willing to try them in hopes that they don't have to do things the "hard way" and they can maintain their excuses.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    those marketing folks are good at what they....no money to be made by telling us to eat decent and exercise
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Uninformed, lazy and impatient
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    you mean if i take these pills, i wont look like the guy on the ad hawking them?

but, but, but, it shows a piture of before and after!!!!

It must be true, dang it
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    George Carlin said it best. "Some people are just f****** stupid!" :laugh:

Seriously, people love the quick fix. It's all instant gratification, and now now now. Nobody wants to put in the work, they just want it handed to them.
  • Mirage08
    Options
    AMEN!!! I had a friend asked me today had I heard about Sensa and was like not really. In my head I was no no noooooooo don't!! She mentioned what her "trouble areas" were and I was well let's start with those and get you moving a little more. I hoping she doesn't get it :/
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Body By VI isn't that yet another Pyramid Scheme or sorry I think they now call it a Multi-Tier Marketing Company.