Why are some so desperate.........................

Options

Replies

• tylersmama1224
    Options
    Unless you have been at the weight I am at now, and have felt that desperation to lose weight to not only look better, but to feel better, don't be so quick to judge. I am always weary of the crap that says it can melt away the pounds, but until you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't judge.

And I use Herbalife because it is a good source of protein which I need for the diet I am supposed to follow with my lap-band. It doesn't guarantee anything other than boosting your protein calories.
  • tylersmama1224
    Options
    to the Op, what is your take on Lap Banding and surgery?
    I have had four friends with success on this, particularly the sleeviing, they are now within a healthy weight range, and have kept it off for years.

I have a lap-band and while it was amazing at first and I lost everything I wanted to, I gained it all back after my pregnancy. I was told I could safely get pregnant with it and that is not the case. The band moved up on my stomach and the port broke lose. I loved it, but now it is nothing but a hassle.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think in this day and age nobody has any time anymore. Because they have gotten used to the 'convienence era' that we are living in they have become impatient and lazy and want everything now. It might not be so convienient when they have spent a complete fortune and realise they are now fatter and more unfit than they were when they first started. :sad: Then maybe they will realise there are no long term healthy quick fixes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    to the Op, what is your take on Lap Banding and surgery?
    I have had four friends with success on this, particularly the sleeviing, they are now within a healthy weight range, and have kept it off for years.
    Lap banding is surgery. Unlike shakes, cleanses, pills etc., the surgery forces the body to eat less. However, it still doesn't address issues with association with food and some can gain weight even with it being done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unless you have been at the weight I am at now, and have felt that desperation to lose weight to not only look better, but to feel better, don't be so quick to judge. I am always weary of the crap that says it can melt away the pounds, but until you have walked a mile in my shoes, don't judge.

And I use Herbalife because it is a good source of protein which I need for the diet I am supposed to follow with my lap-band. It doesn't guarantee anything other than boosting your protein calories.
    In my experience, I've encountered many females who have had the desperation that you do. Some have had lipo, some lap band and some having done crazy methods (like amphetamines) to try to lose weight to no avail. I don't need to "walk" in someone's shoes to see how people feel because to be honest my job is to get them out of that state of mind. If they were fine, then they wouldn't be overweight which is why they consult me for help.
    My post was not about judging, it's to educate people here that there is no MAGIC WAY to lose weight. It's to let them know that they can save their money and use it for more important things like real food.
    To be a success at this takes a lot of dedication, discipline and fortitude. Most people just have good intentions and that's why they embark on "easier" ways to try to beat the system, when in truth, there's no way to beat it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It's because society is making everybody lazy. We are no longer as active. Nor do we have to be. Kids are being raised sitting in front of computer or TVs (imagine them as adults!) and everybody drives everywhere. We are lazy people who don't want to work for it so of course people are going to fall for the quick fix.
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    To the Op, I feel like I could trust your advice given your qualifications,
    I have a Masters, and Bachelor of Science, so I am no dummy.

I am trying hard to lose weight, and eating habits, I've tried them all. I will go the surgery option if all else fails, I've give myself till October. I've only taken my weight seriously for four years now, but I need to stay in a pattern, consistency, and adjust to my lifestyle and food choices.

To PP, my mum has the lap band and has terrible reflux. The 'sleeve' seems to be the go here in Australia atm.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?

If you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit. The law of thermdynamics doesn't fail, and no magic pill can circumvent it.

I went down to 500 calories a day for two weeks JUST so I could see the scale move. It didn't. So, to be in a calorie deficit, I need to stop eating altogether, then? Because I can't imagine I wasn't in a calorie deficit at 500 calories. Even my doctor can't figure out why I'm not losing, but you know why, I guess.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

That's a lot of different things to change up. This is hard (or at least very time consuming) because each little change often takes several weeks before you can make a fair assessment of whether it's working or not. And many of these changes (like cutting or re-introducing carbs) have dramatic short-term effects on weight.

I looked at your diary and it looks like you are very disciplined and consistent when it comes to logging, and you seem to be eating a healthy level of calories. If you are not finding success, this must be very frustrating indeed.

Not sure how current your photos are, but you look like you're at a healthy weight currently. How much are you looking to lose and what is your lbs per week loss set to? Do you know your body fat percent by any chance?

My profile photo is about 10 years old. I'm 5'3" and 150-155 pounds (depending on the week -- as I said, I'm going up and down 5 pounds). I weighed 155 pounds the day I gave birth to my daughter, so this is NOT my happy weight.

I actually know why I'm not losing. It's the only explanation since I never had a problem before -- lost 20 pounds and three sizes in about 12 weeks a couple years ago. It's a birth control issue. But if I'm having problems with my weight due to my BC, then I guarantee there are plenty of other women in the same boat, so calling us all lazy and stupid is condescending and nasty and unnecessary.

Do I really believe there's a magic pill? No, of course not. But sometimes, when you're stuck the way I've been, you're willing to give something a chance.

I actually managed to lose (struggled to lose) eight pounds from July to September and then one week I regained 4 of those and it hasn't come back off since.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Trying a magic pill, shake, patch for the first item won't hurt anyone if you can afford it. No point in yelling at people about it. I drink Special K protein shakes for lunch and I'm on Turbo Jam. So far I've gained 2 pounds and I look even fatter than I did BEFORE I started working out. Lucky me...

So if someone comes to me saying "Hey this'll make you lose all that unwanted belly fat so you can actually look your age in a bikini" I'm gonna say "GIVE ME TWO!".

Now, the floor is open to judge me
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's because society is making everybody lazy. We are no longer as active. Nor do we have to be. Kids are being raised sitting in front of computer or TVs (imagine them as adults!) and everybody drives everywhere. We are lazy people who don't want to work for it so of course people are going to fall for the quick fix.

This^^^^ absolutely. Not just with our bodies, our minds as well. How many of us remember anyone's phone number anymore?
    I'm guilty - don't even know my own husbands cell because of technology. I HATE that kids are inside playing games or in a zombie state watching TV or online all the livelong day instead of outside running around being kids - being active. On top of that - a lot are stuffing their face with junk. When I was a kid I was always outside. Inactive kids will grow up to be inactive adults. People drive 2 blocks to the store on a beautiful day. They stalk the parking lot so they can walk 10 steps instead of 100. They won't walk DOWN a couple flights of stairs instead of taking the elevator... There's a trend....

Everyone wants instant gratification without putting in the hard work. There is no way around it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    To the Op, I feel like I could trust your advice given your qualifications,
    I have a Masters, and Bachelor of Science, so I am no dummy.

I am trying hard to lose weight, and eating habits, I've tried them all. I will go the surgery option if all else fails, I've give myself till October. I've only taken my weight seriously for four years now, but I need to stay in a pattern, consistency, and adjust to my lifestyle and food choices.

To PP, my mum has the lap band and has terrible reflux. The 'sleeve' seems to be the go here in Australia atm.
    I would say that you don't do surgery UNLESS you've given it 100% effort to do what it takes to lose weight. There are many that I have trained that thought that they trained hard and have come to find out that they were only giving it about 65%-70% of their total effort. So I encourage you to DO what it takes to get there and be consistent with the effort. Consistency is the difference between a TRUE CHAMPION and an OCCASIONAL WINNER.

IDEA Fitness member
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Trying a magic pill, shake, patch for the first item won't hurt anyone if you can afford it. No point in yelling at people about it. I drink Special K protein shakes for lunch and I'm on Turbo Jam. So far I've gained 2 pounds and I look even fatter than I did BEFORE I started working out. Lucky me...

So if someone comes to me saying "Hey this'll make you lose all that unwanted belly fat so you can actually look your age in a bikini" I'm gonna say "GIVE ME TWO!".

I think your post speaks for itself.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

That's a lot of different things to change up. This is hard (or at least very time consuming) because each little change often takes several weeks before you can make a fair assessment of whether it's working or not. And many of these changes (like cutting or re-introducing carbs) have dramatic short-term effects on weight.

I looked at your diary and it looks like you are very disciplined and consistent when it comes to logging, and you seem to be eating a healthy level of calories. If you are not finding success, this must be very frustrating indeed.

Not sure how current your photos are, but you look like you're at a healthy weight currently. How much are you looking to lose and what is your lbs per week loss set to? Do you know your body fat percent by any chance?

My profile photo is about 10 years old. I'm 5'3" and 150-155 pounds (depending on the week -- as I said, I'm going up and down 5 pounds). I weighed 155 pounds the day I gave birth to my daughter, so this is NOT my happy weight.

I actually know why I'm not losing. It's the only explanation since I never had a problem before -- lost 20 pounds and three sizes in about 12 weeks a couple years ago. It's a birth control issue. But if I'm having problems with my weight due to my BC, then I guarantee there are plenty of other women in the same boat, so calling us all lazy and stupid is condescending and nasty and unnecessary.

Do I really believe there's a magic pill? No, of course not. But sometimes, when you're stuck the way I've been, you're willing to give something a chance.

I actually managed to lose (struggled to lose) eight pounds from July to September and then one week I regained 4 of those and it hasn't come back off since.

I'm sure I've called individual people lazy and stupid before, but that was NOT my response in this thread. The "system" works for most people, but most doesn't equal all. There are always edge cases. Have you considered non-hormonal birth control?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

That's NOT the point. Say you lost 2lbs. instead of gained. Then the probability is that you would CONTINUE to use the product. However once you got off of it, the weight would return because the product was a crutch to begin with. Then you start the cycle all over again. This is that typical dieter's profile.
    Learning how to live the actual lifestyle rather than providing a temporary fix takes a mentally different approach.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't really want to promote it and I don't remember the name but it is an actual diet run by a certain clinic (I think it's a chain). You would eat the cookies prescribed by the clinic through the day and then eat a "sensible" meal at dinner. All the DJ's on one of the local radio stations were doing it about a year or two ago.
    I have cookies in my diet. Mrs. Field macadamia/chocolate chip. Not everyday, but one a week won't derail you.

I'm not disputing that, occasional cookies are just fine. These cookies were the diet though. Specially prescribed, expensive cookies that were the basis of a very low calorie diet. I'm sure you'd agree that a thousand calorie a day diet of expensive cookies is less than ideal.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not disputing that, occasional cookies are just fine. These cookies were the diet though. Specially prescribed, expensive cookies that were the basis of a very low calorie diet. I'm sure you'd agree that a thousand calorie a day diet of expensive cookies is less than ideal.
    Lol, depends if they are macadamia/chocolate chip!!! Though not ideal (it would make me hate cookies if I had to eat them daily) if you do get in your essentials, exercise, rest etc. and the amount of cookies you eat stay below calorie maintenance, then you can and will lose weight. It's been proven by the Twinkie diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm sure I've called individual people lazy and stupid before, but that was NOT my response in this thread. The "system" works for most people, but most doesn't equal all. There are always edge cases. Have you considered non-hormonal birth control?

A lot of people responded that way, though.

Non-hormonal BC is not an option for me. It's a long story how I ended up on the BC I'm on, but for years on the pill, I had no issues at all with weight. If I could go back to that, I would, but I was having two-week-long periods the last couple years on it, despite trying several different pills in that time.

Honestly, even if I was never going to have sex again, I need to be on something just to function four weeks a month. I wish they'd just remove the uterus and I could be done! lol

This last year has seriously sucked.

(And for the record, to those calling people like me lazy, I track my calories, eat EXTREMELY healthy and aim to burn off at least 3,500 calories a week. And even doing that, I gained back 20 pounds of the 34 I lost and cannot take it back off.)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    to lose weight that they fall for scams? Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN. Weight loss SAFELY comes down to a few things

Calorie deficit
    Exercise to accelerate it and to help retain lean muscle (that means you have to strength train)
    Rest
    Good overall diet that ensures getting in all your daily essentials.

THAT'S IT!!!!! No pills, no gimmicks, no shakes, no cleanses, no HCG, no wrist bands, no infomercial gadgets..................

Follow above program and you will succeed.

IDEA Fitness member

People want it to happen quickly either out of a feeling of desperation or not trusting that they can do it the right way. I doubt myself all the time.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    When metabolife had ephedra, or whatever that illegal stuff is called, in it, everyone i work with and people that i know that took it all say it worked wonders.....you didn't have an appetite....you couldn't sleep so you had plenty of time to clean your house AND excersize....why not bring ephedra back???? Who cares if it causes heart problems....at least you can be skinny dealing with those problems