RANT: obese people that PUSH dieting advice!!

Options

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Boy do I need a good bra......uh I mean friend.:blushing:
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This. IMHO this is the best attitude in any situation when friends/relatives and other close to you are involved. In the other hand I would listen with only 1/2 ear to her and chew the info. It may apply to you or not but this is your judgement.

Ignorance *sigh*
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    She is not your friend. I would have hit the ROOF if someone threw my food out. Let alone slapped my hand!

I have had one friend who has gone off like that when I suggested a way to lose weight to her. It's when I mentioned lap banding to my best friend. She's a doctor and has seen the bad side and she went right off. She told she would support me in any other way, but she would not and could not support WLS.

I would stop talking to her about it. When you put that you've lost weight on FB if she responds in a negative way, delete her comments. If she does bring it up my response was 'How's your advice working for you?' (evil Lauren would be 'When you've lost weight and kept it off, come back and tell me what to do) I probably would have cut this friend already (or slapped her in the face) but if you want to keep the friendship that's my advice :)
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's kind of sad, her insecurity is oozing...feeling sorry for someone makes you stop being as annoyed at them...you're doing awesome and she's not, just remember that...
  • silentnacht
    Options
    It sounds like she can't do it herself so she has to crush the efforts of everyone else in her life. Typical "let's all be miserable together" attitude. Gross.
  • mandy42smith
    Options
    That cracked me up. lmao

13236620.png
  • kasicrawford
    Options
    OMG!!! That was hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes, but I do have ideas. Fruit tends curb my cravings. If you like whipped cream, then fat free would be good on top. Also, if I don't have anything munchy around, I drink calorie free juice to satisfy my sweet tooth. I also make my own fruit smoothies in the blender, they are healthy and sweet. I tend to chew a lot of sugar free gum as well. If I did not have gum, I would go crazy when cravings creep into my day. I am a coffee drinker, so a little bit of sugar free raspberry or mocha flavoring in it is good. Hope this helps.
    About the "free advise" on dieting from the "friend".... Try the nice approach and see if she wants to lose weight with you and you can help each other with healthy advise and have her join MFP. You can make "workout" dates or go for walks together. If her Mom is passing on advise to her, she would have included exercise. If that doesn't work then point out that her advise does not work for you and obviously is not working for her either.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have a friend like that.

Last year she was going on and on about how thin I was getting and how IF she looked like me she could maintain it. Really..I have busted my rear to get to the this point. I didn't get the skinny fairy to wave her pixie dust over my head.

When I told her I wanted to lose 30 more lbs she was like where are going to lose you. UM my gut and thighs. I know that I am going to need a tummy tuck. I would prefer to drop more weight before even thinking about it so that the recovery time is eased.

I stopped talking to her about my diet.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It's about her and she's making it about YOU. Don't let her :)

You're on a healthy past and unfortunately, that might just shine a huge mirror that reflects what she is NOT doing. Nod, smile, keep her friendship if you find it comforting, but keep on, keepin' on! :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A good friend is like a good bra--supportive and uplifting.

This is my new favorite saying!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's jealous. If the situation were that she's obese but has already dropped a significant body % then I would say differently. Knowing and doing are two different things and she seems to think otherwise.

I would just say calmly next time. "I appreciate the advice, but I'm really happy doing what I'm doing now. My doctor is happy with my results and I trust my doctor's opinion. "

That's it.....she can't argue it.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know someone EXACTLY like this! She actually turned out to be really toxic all across the board so I just cut her out. She actually ended up writing me into some lesbian fantasy story of hers. And turned it in as an assignment in college. Very frightening.
  • xmalfan
    xmalfan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is almost jealous that you're losing weight and in a way fears that you're proving her wrong. Misery loves company...and it sounds like she might be trying to deter your weightloss cause she feels better when shes not alone at being overweight. The fact that you have the determination and willpower to stick with your plan is scaring her so she's doing and saying everything she can to feel better about herself and/or stop your progress.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Pack a mirror in your bag. Whenever she starts going off about what you're doing, hold the mirror up so she can see herself.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I judge the fruit of a person's philosophy before wasting time listening to theories.
    I see much more value in the words of those who have actually applied their fitness ideals to produce actual results.

Show me the fruit or NO THANKS!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    She is just a downer with no self control, so she has to put you and your efforts down. Don't listen to it! Distance yourself from her a little at a time and she won't even realize it's happening. You're doing great, btw!
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Just ignore her, people like that aren't worth the time. Think the entire time she was pointing out her fab advice to you, you could have been making yourself a yummy low cal treat! I do this, when people start going off on one at me, I walk away, do some exercise, get a shower, nab some food, come back to the conversation and laugh at how they managed to have a whole argument with themselves xD
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    Omg you've met Alice in wonderland! "I give myself such very good advice but seldom follow it". But really, ask her why if she is so knowledgable, and must know the health danger of obesity why doesn't she take her own advice?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    You can't listen to an obese person because obviously their advice didn't work for them.

You can't listen to a fit person because they don't understand what its like to be obese.

However you CAN listen to this man! He has lived both lives.

http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/