Anyone Doing This Without Their Spouse/SO?

Options

Replies

• Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Mine is similar but opposite lol. My husband needed to GAIN weight. (his low was 110 when he and I got together nearly 10 years ago) hes now at 140ish which is still a little low but not as bad as he was.. Both our kids are in the needing to gain weight boat too and I need to lose 110lb :grumble:
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm going solo as well. My GF was raised having meat, potatoes and desert her whole life. She has tried a couple of times but caves after a couple of weeks. I was trying to help her but when she'd get mad at me for telling her not to eat something right after she got mad at me for not stopping her from eating something was when I told her that she was on her own and eventually she'd get tired of feeling like crap like I did. I don't eat any meat and some fish so she's very supportive of getting things for me to eat when she goes shopping.
    She just hates it when she's eating something and I make a comment about how many calories and fat are in it....lol Hopefully she'll get with the program since lately she's been talking about it.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My hubby is not ready to hop on board with me just yet. He is overweight. He eats what he wants. And that's okay. We've talked about it & much like someone quitting smoking or drinking, he has to do it on his own terms.

It was a challenge for me at 1st because he was unsupportive and I do 99% of the grocery shopping for the house so I still had to buy his snacks & food. Personally, I don't eat 1/2 the crap I used to and looking at all that stuff in the basket empowered me rather than derailing me. I didn't want to go back to that. And there can be a bag of chips on the counter & I'll grab a few carrots instead. I just don't want to go back there. It was hard to be so proud of myself and not hear any praise from him, but honestly if no one else noticed 5 lbs lost, why would he?!?! He sees me EVERY day.

I've noticed that he has started to eat whatever I cook for myself for dinner. Mostly because he works 2 jobs & doesn't want to make anything when he gets home. I've offered to make him a separate meal & he says that's okay he doesn't want me to spend too much time in the kitchen. Needless to say, it looks like he's dropped some weight as his pants are now too big. I'm slowly rubbing off on him. Will he go to the gym? No. But he'll take a chicken burger every now & then. I'm okay with that. Baby steps...
  • luckystar8131
    Options
    Yes I am and let me tell you it sucks! My husband is over weight and he doesn't care. And he smokes and he's a couch potato. AUGH! He gets mad at me when I cook stuff that is healthy cause he says he doesn't like it but won't try it. It's so hard. I could say that he is the reason that I got fat but I can't blame him...he didn't force me to eat crap and be lazy. But I did start eating bigger portions and more junk when we started living together....9 years ago. And now I can't worry about what he is going to do...I have to do it for me. He says he's supoortive but in reality he isn't...he'll order pizza and wings or ask to go out to eat when he knows that I pulled out other stuff to eat. Makes me super upset.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Im doing this alone. My bf is not trying to lose weight, although he is mostly supportive of me. Its hard to be living with someone who doesnt want to eat the same thing and have differing views on what to eat. he hates vegetables and fruit and doesnt eat in moderation. he doesnt work out with me. I think he thinks its a fad but its not for me, i really want to change my habits.
  • hmartin0603
    Options
    Dieting all alone.. My boyfriend likes me just the way I am but I'd like to be a little bit smaller (115 lbs). At my height and age everyone thinks that I look perfect the way I am now. My boyfriend is supportive as long as I don't get to the point as to if im deciding to eat something or not because of how many calories I have left over. And I do give myself lelay..... On Sundays and only Sundays I allow myself to go over no more then 200 calories because that is family dinner at his parent's house and I don't know to have to bring it to their attention. Soo it began 2 weeks ago to my journey to 115 lbs, which means I only have about 14 more pounds to lose :D
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have also been doing this myself, but my kids are now on the bandwagon and my husband is starting to get on board. Although it's been over a year :)
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this on my own and always have been. My boyfriend is overweight, and would like to weigh less, but isn't willing to change any of his habits (bad eating or exercise)... He tries to be supportive, but still wants pizza or nachos or wings or whatever on the weekends, and it's getting to the point where I think I have to start bringing my own food over to his place so that I'm not sucked into his bad habits or his parents bad habits.

We'll be moving out together in a couple of months, and I know it'll be easier then for me to control what food comes into the house, but I am not willing to put my health on hold so that he can get on board.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got things mostly under control, but any ideas to make things easier would be much appreciated.

:)
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I"m going it alone as well, he says he wants to lose weight but doesn't
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    All alone here.
    Husband is being a d*ck about it.
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    While I love my husband dearly....he is the worst in all this. He is the one that looks at me and says "oooh..wanna go get ice cream" or "we should stop and get a cheesecake" I have tried to get him to go for walks with me, as we live 2 minutes from the beach. Of course, right where you turn to the beach is a McDonalds! He is the kind of guy that can lose 5 or 10 pounds just by speaking the words that he "should lose a few"!
  • Jamie_82
    Options
    My husband was raised eating a lot of tv dinners and highly processed food. I grew up eating a lot of healthy and whole foods. Now that I'm returning to my "roots" and getting off the fast food, excessive carbs, and soft drinks, it is easier for me to adjust my eating habits. I also go to gym at least 5 times/week.

Since we have opposite shifts, we don't eat a lot meals together. He also works a second job part-time so it's hard for him to get to the gym at all.

He is supportive of me, but pretty much eats processed foods and doesn't exercise. My hope is that he'll be inspired by my success and want to figure out a way to make some positive changes that fit within his limitations. It does have to be his choice for it to work, so I'm not pressuring him at all :smile:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i had a boyfriend who i broke up with a year and ahalf ago..he encouraged me to eat as i always did and didnt really want to support me to be on a diet and change my ways .he said he liked me just like i was .. i broke up with him two years ago this june ..he saw i lost 80lbs and said i looked great .. wanted to get back together and i told him no way ..if he cant support me in something i want to do thats important to me then i dont want him
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My S.O. will absolutely not do any exercise with me, nor will he eat healthier. He's considered obese by BMI standards.

He is supportive of my efforts though, and proud of me.

Yea same here, hubby has his own ideas and doesn't follow mine at all.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm going solo. My fiance works all the time and he could stand to lost probably 20lbs he's about 5'7" and 200lbs. But he doesn't hinder me....although he's a professional chef he supports me
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Totally flying solo! My Hubby lost about 80 pounds eating pickles and jello (his interpretation of a balanced diet), which prompted me to get off my butt and do something about my weight! He managed to do get on MFP for a short time, but became bored with it. So, now I'm on my own with some support from him (I do enjoy the attention), but the weight isn't coming off as quickly as I'd like. Unfortunately, we don't eat as healthy as I would like (he does the majority of the cooking.) This year, I hope to convince him that we need to make some changes in our diet (not pickles and jello!) LOL
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about 9 months. My husband hasn't been dieting or exercising but he has not been unsupportive of me either. He doesn't complain (usually) about my videos and he takes over caring for the kids/dinner/baths/everything while I'm out running.

He is planning to start a Biggest Loser challenge at work next week though.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am doing this by myself... It is MUCH harder! My hubs just finished ordering and eating a HUGE thing of chicken wings while sitting right next to me!!! Its past nine... I can't even look at the wings without gaining, LOL!

Yes, its difficult.... but when I get to my goal weight it will TOTALLY be worth it!

***Congrats on your little one on the way!!! :smile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My partner is trying to lose weight but he absolutely refuses to log his food. He works out like a demon and figures that will make up for whatever he eats. :noway:

(At least until he tires of his lack of progress and quits again....seen it happen over and over for 9 years)
  • loftus2005
    Options
    Im doing it alone too! My hubby is trying to GAIN weight! HAHA!!! However, he is very supportive and is all about being healthy!!