Why Batman is not a super hero

Options

Replies

• chelleymarie88
    Options
    Oxford Dictionary does not even have "comic book(s)" as a word listed
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/spellcheck/?region=us&q=comic+book

No exact results found for comic book in the dictionary.

utter blasphemy I say! while Websters......

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comic books
    a magazine containing sequences of comic strips —usually hyphenated in attributive use

thus we have to say Oxford has lost all credibility

Comic books isn't even a word. Your argument is invalid :O
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    So then iron man and the punisher aren't superhero's either?

This argument is special...

The Punisher, Iron Man, Batman, Robin/Nightwing, ...All super hero's....

Oh one last thing,

We've established Robin and Frank Castle to NOT be superheroes as well. Robin is just his lackey and Frank Castle is undoubtedly a vigilante (as is Batman). Iron Man; however, is a super hero. Tony Stark is arguable to be just a hero.

So I told my husband (Deadpool. lol) about this thread and asked his opinion on the topic: he says the difference between Batman and Frank Castle is that Batman will not cross the line to killing anyone. Secondly, he says what makes Batman a superhero is that despite not having any special powers, he still throws himself headlong into defending society from evil, at the risk of his own safety. That selflessness in and of itself makes him a superhero.

Lol, that's why most people think he is a superhero, but indeed he is just a hero. He doesn't live up to the "super" expectation.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Lets break down the word again.

Hero - A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

Super - Especially; particularly

The definition most people are proposing is that because you have superpowers, your are a super hero. This is not true in the comic book world. Many of the mutants in the world show no real great acts of evil or good. There species is classified as homo superiors, because they are 'superior' or 'super' to typical humans.

A firefighter who runs into a burning building is a hero, the guy who landed the plane in the hudson bay is a hero, but its when someone takes it to a feat much greater than a human could typically go, to be able to do things that are so abnormally superior and amazing, is when they become a super hero. While Batman may not be born with any necessarily special abilities, he is still a costumed crimefighte, who has gone up and above the regular call of duty. He is not a just a hero, but he is a special and particular hero, one that even goes above and beyond the typical call of a regular hero, time and time again. While we cannot discredit the average fireman or policeman, its easy to say that in the comic book world, batman is superior even to them. Ergo, he still fits the definition.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I've shown your own research and definitions to be not fitting for Batman, what more is there to be said? Lol.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Lets break down the word again.

Hero - A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

Super - Especially; particularly

The definition most people are proposing is that because you have superpowers, your are a super hero. This is not true in the comic book world. Many of the mutants in the world show no real great acts of evil or good. There species is classified as homo superiors, because they are 'superior' or 'super' to typical humans.

A firefighter who runs into a burning building is a hero, the guy who landed the plane in the hudson bay is a hero, but its when someone takes it to a feat much greater than a human could typically go, to be able to do things that are so abnormally superior and amazing, is when they become a super hero. While Batman may not be born with any necessarily special abilities, he is still a costumed crimefighte, who has gone up and above the regular call of duty. He is not a just a hero, but he is a special and particular hero, one that even goes above and beyond the typical call of a regular hero, time and time again. While we cannot discredit the average fireman or policeman, its easy to say that in the comic book world, batman is superior even to them. Ergo, he still fits the definition.

He is a costumed crimefighter. That's all he is. By your own definitions he does not fit it, actually. I think you should do a little more research on what "unprecedented physical prowess" means or "super powers". :)
  • _Ben
    Options
    Super does not mean the ability to fly or teleport, just above and beyond normal.

When you order a super sized burger, its just larger than normal (or was lol). Or a super ball does not have some supernatural teleportation abilities, its just superior to a regular ball.

Your definition of super is off.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Super does not mean the ability to fly or teleport, just above and beyond normal.

When you order a super sized burger, its just larger than normal (or was lol). Or a super ball does not have some supernatural teleportation abilities, its just superior to a regular ball.

Lol.

While I admire your effort, I've discussed the meaning of supernatural and "superior" than human and Batman still does not fit it. He is at maximum everything for human, yes. Does that mean he is super? No.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    If you still don't accept my argument, I'll be on later to refute your response. :)
  • elgo1819
    Options
    So then iron man and the punisher aren't superhero's either?

This argument is special...

The Punisher, Iron Man, Batman, Robin/Nightwing, ...All super hero's....

Iron Man, maybe. The Punisher, absolutely not a superhero, rather the very embodiment of the anti-hero. And my favorite comic book character or all time.

And Robin/Nightwing is, was, and will be, a SIDEKICK. Like the joke I always pull on my best friends mom, who's name is Robin.

"Hey, know why your name is Robin?"
    "Why?"
    "Because you weren't cool enough to be named Batman."
  • _Ben
    Options

Lol.

While I admire your effort, I've discussed the meaning of supernatural and "superior" than human and Batman still does not fit it. He is at maximum everything for human, yes. Does that mean he is super? No.

"little more research on what "unprecedented physical prowess""

unprecedented - without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled:
    physical - of or pertaining to that which is material
    prowess - 1.Skill or expertise in an activity or field. 2, Bravery in battle.

I think its pretty clear batman falls right into that definition

In the end, it looks as though we are at a stand off, we will really never change the others mind. I agree that Batman is less 'super' than other superheroes like Superman (hate him). There is no denying he would have to sign up for the Superhuman registration act though if Batman was in the marvel universe. Here is the basic outline of the act for those who are unfamiliar:

"6 U.S.C. S. 558, which required those with naturally occurring superhuman abilities, super abilities acquired through science or magic (including extraterrestrials and gods), and even non-super powered humans using exotic technology, such as Iron Man, to register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

By that definition, he is a superhero, at least in the eyes of the government.

As I said, we arent going to change eachothers minds, we have both laid out both valid and sound arguments. We both have supporting material, claims, and references. Mine come primarily from comic books themselves, as well as breakdown of the language; where yours come from dictionaries, other supporting examples, and study. Really we are both right I guess, it just depends on how you look at it.
  • _Ben
    Options
    If you still don't accept my argument, I'll be on later to refute your response. :)

As I said, we wont ever really change the others mind, which is perfectly fine. I also shall retire (or just do endless organic chemistry then work, whichever you prefer to call it lol)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

unprecedented - without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled:

In the end, it looks as though we are at a stand off, we will really never change the others mind. I agree that Batman is less 'super' than other superheroes like Superman (hate him). There is no denying he would have to sign up for the Superhuman registration act though if Batman was in the marvel universe. Here is the basic outline of the act for those who are unfamiliar:

"6 U.S.C. S. 558, which required those with naturally occurring superhuman abilities, super abilities acquired through science or magic (including extraterrestrials and gods), and even non-super powered humans using exotic technology, such as Iron Man, to register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

As I said, we arent going to change eachothers minds, we have both laid out both valid and sound arguments. We both have supporting material, claims, and references. Mine come primarily from comic books themselves, as well as breakdown of the language; where yours come from dictionaries, other supporting examples, and study. Really we are both right I guess, it just depends on how you look at it.

^Winning
  • elgo1819
    Options
    No one would be talking smack to the real Batman... :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Oxford Dictionary does not even have "comic book(s)" as a word listed
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/spellcheck/?region=us&q=comic+book

No exact results found for comic book in the dictionary.

utter blasphemy I say! while Websters......

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comic books
    a magazine containing sequences of comic strips —usually hyphenated in attributive use

thus we have to say Oxford has lost all credibility

Comic books isn't even a word. Your argument is invalid :O

I still say Oxford has lost all it's credibility with not having "comic books" as a definition but I concede it's 2 words... but ok following Oxford's definition of "super" http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/super-?region=us

Origin:
    from Latin super-, from super 'above, beyond'

we have accepted Batman is a hero and being that he is just a human with no special powers but under Oxfords defintion of super, he does go "above and beyond" we must accept he is a superhero.
  • elgo1819
    Options
    Batman is one the most globally reconized figures, ever. He's right up there with Mickey Mouse, Santa, and Superman.
  • HardHunk
    Options
    Batman is not a super hero because he is half Bat.
  • elgo1819
    Options
    Batman is not a super hero because he is half Bat.

Off topic, is that a picture of you? Because I've totally seen that guy get beat up on Bully Beatdown.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

Lol.

Ok. I can respect that response. However, I’m still going to refute. Unprecedented physical prowess would mean he would have “superior ability, skill, or strength”. He is not more that is man; nor is he a super-man. The biggest thing about Batman is that he doesn’t have any super powers, he just had a *kitten* ton of money and training. He doesn’t have SUPER strength, nor does he have any magical powers. This definition also proves my point. Yes he does have bravery; however, that is not the context in which the phrase is used in. He learned all of his physical skills from other martial artists. If he learned from someone else, this proves that someone else is capable of doing what he does.
    Another thing is- I do read comics. I have read a lot of Batman comics which was stated in previous pages of this thread. The last I knew Batman was dead, but someone told me he came back- that he went through a time warp or some *kitten*. Don’t get me wrong, Batman is badass, but he’s no qualified SUPERhero.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

Lol.

Ok. I can respect that response. However, I’m still going to refute. Unprecedented physical prowess would mean he would have “superior ability, skill, or strength”. He is not more that is man; nor is he a super-man. The biggest thing about Batman is that he doesn’t have any super powers, he just had a *kitten* ton of money and training. He doesn’t have SUPER strength, nor does he have any magical powers. This definition also proves my point. Yes he does have bravery; however, that is not the context in which the phrase is used in. He learned all of his physical skills from other martial artists. If he learned from someone else, this proves that someone else is capable of doing what he does.
    Another thing is- I do read comics. I have read a lot of Batman comics which was stated in previous pages of this thread. The last I knew Batman was dead, but someone told me he came back- that he went through a time warp or some *kitten*. Don’t get me wrong, Batman is badass, but he’s no qualified SUPERhero.

I would also like to add that Batman wouldn't be considered superhuman in Marvel. Yes, Tony Stark is a LIVING MACHINE, that's why he is on it.
  • gameovergt
    Options
    he fights crime, good enough for me!