Why Batman is not a super hero

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    What does that mean?

It's a reference to Big Bang Theory, a show about nerds (who happen to looove comics too)
    I'm in full concurrence with this dude.

Cool tattoo, you're like Iron Fist (he has a Dragon)

Thanks for clearing that up. :) I have never seen the show before. I have exhausted nearly all of my arguments on why Batman is not considered a superhero; however, good job on finding a different definition lol.

OOOOO, WA. Iron Fist is bad *kitten*. :D

I've convinced many girls who were anti big bang theory watch the show and fall in love with it. you should give it a chance
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Can the rest of you join me in guilting Chelley into starting the Comic Book Group?

I don't like talking nerd where everyone else can see. :glasses: :embarassed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2820-comics-n-things

LOL fine >:O

also it's not working for me. what's the secret handshake? ok ok. Batman is NOT a super hero, Aquaman is dumb and Batman would eat fish sticks in front of him AND then defriend him on FB. as for the group link, it doesn't work. is it set to private? I can't even bring it up on a search.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Im sorry op, but you are not correct.

Now this is cross publishers, but lets look at the Civil War series from Marvel.

For those who are not familiar, in the Marvel Universe, war breaks out when the US government mandates that all superheroes must register their identity, family, and all other personal information with the government, They must also now act as government employees, instead of rouge vigillantees.

The person who leads this initiative is Iron Man, or Tony Stark. Tony Stark is a man with no super powers, no special history, but a regular human, with considerable wealth and training. Using his technology, he prevents the apocalypse several times over, as well as many smaller heroic acts. Tony Stark/Iron Man is classified as a super hero, as he is acting as a vigilanty, using beyond normal abilities, technology, skills, or techniques to help protect and save others from 'the forces of evil'.

Batman exactly fits the previous description, therefore, by comic book standards, is a superhero
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like you need super "powers" to be a superhero though. :wink:

That's where a lot of people are wrong. Superheroes are super human... Indicating they are more "superior" than human. He is a hero, yes. Tony Stark is the "Batman" of Marvel and even HE has something "super" about him. His chest reactor keeps him alive, and so does his armor.

That is where you are wrong.....

Super-hero does not mean superior human, unless hero means human- last time I checked that was not the definition.
  • _Ben
    Options
    Here it is from the source. DC and Marvel actually have a copyright on the word Superhero (which I never knew):

"A superhero (also known as a super hero) is a fictional character "of unprecedented physical prowess dedicated to acts of derring-do in the public interest". Since the debut of the prototypal superhero Superman in 1938, stories of superheroes — ranging from brief episodic adventures to continuing years-long sagas — have dominated American comic books and crossed over into other media. A female superhero is sometimes called a superheroine or super heroine.
    By most definitions, characters need not have actual superhuman powers to be deemed superheroes, not, although sometimes terms such as costumed crimefighters are used to refer to those without such powers who have many other common traits of superheroes.
    The two-word version of the term is a trademark co-owned by DC Comics and Marvel Comics."

http://superhero.askdefine.com/
  • _Ben
    Options
    I'm gonna defend b-man to the bitter end, he is the best superhero out there.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Agree x
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    So then iron man and the punisher aren't superhero's either?
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Here it is from the source. DC and Marvel actually have a copyright on the word Superhero (which I never knew):

"A superhero (also known as a super hero) is a fictional character "of unprecedented physical prowess dedicated to acts of derring-do in the public interest". Since the debut of the prototypal superhero Superman in 1938, stories of superheroes — ranging from brief episodic adventures to continuing years-long sagas — have dominated American comic books and crossed over into other media. A female superhero is sometimes called a superheroine or super heroine.
    By most definitions, characters need not have actual superhuman powers to be deemed superheroes, not, although sometimes terms such as costumed crimefighters are used to refer to those without such powers who have many other common traits of superheroes.
    The two-word version of the term is a trademark co-owned by DC Comics and Marvel Comics."

So it's settled, batman is a superhero. /thread
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

This argument is special...

The Punisher, Iron Man, Batman, Robin/Nightwing, ...All super hero's....
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    su·per·he·ro   [soo-per-heer-oh] noun, plural -roes.
    a hero, especially in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers.
  • _Ben
    Options
    As i said, the quote I posted is right from DC and Marvel.
  • lacroyx
    Options
    here's Webster's own definition:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/super hero
    a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; also : an exceptionally skillful or successful person
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

So it's settled, batman is a superhero. /thread

Phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

I beg to differ. He doesn't have "unprecedented physical prowess", because he earned all of his physical skills from other martial artists.

In conclusion: that definition does not fit Batman.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    su·per·he·ro   [soo-per-heer-oh] noun, plural -roes.
    a hero, especially in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers.

We've established this. He is not super; therefore, this definition is not suiting either.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    here's Webster's own definition:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/super hero
    a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; also : an exceptionally skillful or successful person

Oxford Dictionary labels a superhero as "a benevolent fictional character with superhuman powers."

He has no supernatural powers.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I rest my case. /thread

>_>
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

Oh one last thing,

We've established Robin and Frank Castle to NOT be superheroes as well. Robin is just his lackey and Frank Castle is undoubtedly a vigilante (as is Batman). Iron Man; however, is a super hero. Tony Stark is arguable to be just a hero.
  • lacroyx
    Options
    Oxford Dictionary does not even have "comic book(s)" as a word listed
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/spellcheck/?region=us&q=comic+book

No exact results found for comic book in the dictionary.

utter blasphemy I say! while Websters......

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comic books
    a magazine containing sequences of comic strips —usually hyphenated in attributive use

thus we have to say Oxford has lost all credibility
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options

Oh one last thing,

We've established Robin and Frank Castle to NOT be superheroes as well. Robin is just his lackey and Frank Castle is undoubtedly a vigilante (as is Batman). Iron Man; however, is a super hero. Tony Stark is arguable to be just a hero.

So I told my husband (Deadpool. lol) about this thread and asked his opinion on the topic: he says the difference between Batman and Frank Castle is that Batman will not cross the line to killing anyone. Secondly, he says what makes Batman a superhero is that despite not having any special powers, he still throws himself headlong into defending society from evil, at the risk of his own safety. That selflessness in and of itself makes him a superhero.