Diet soda ?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will NOT make you fat! If you like it, drink it. Keep in mind everything in moderation. 10 diet sodas a day = bad for you. I have one or 2 at the most a day. It's a treat :drinker:
  • CarlaGill1968
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that drinking diet soda makes you crave sugar. I'm a SWEET FREAK, so I thought I would try to cut out diet soda for the new year. Haven't had one in 26 days. The first two weeks were killer when I heard someone pop a can open... I felt like a vampire craving a young virgins neck!!! But I finally got thru it and just drink a lot more ice water now and when we eat out. That same trainer also said she would rather have people have an occasional regular soda rather then drink diet, so I guess I kind of believe most of info about diet soda. Another problem I had when I drank diet soda is I thought I would have to have a snack with it... well hellllooo... kinda defeats the purpose!
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda last week because I thought the artificial sweeteners were increasing my appetite, but then I just read this:

"Aspartame is a well-studied sweetener whose safety is clearly
    documented and well established through extensive laboratory
    testing, animal experiments, epidemiological studies, and human
    clinical trials.
    Controlled and thorough scientific studies confirm aspartame’s
    safety and find no credible link between consumption
    of aspartame at levels found in the human diet and conditions
    related to the nervous system and behavior, nor any other symptom
    or illness.
    Aspartame is well documented to be nongenotoxic and there
    is no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic.
    Aspartame does not increase hunger in those who use it; to
    the contrary, studies indicate it might be an effective tool as part
    of an overall weight management program.
    Aspartame is a well-characterized, thoroughly studied, highintensity
    sweetener that has a long history of safe use in the food
    supply and can help reduce the caloric content of a wide variety
    of foods."

Citation:
    Magnuson, B. A., Burdock, G. A., Doull, J. J., Kroes, R. M., Marsh, G. M., Pariza, M. W., & ... Williams, G. M. (2007). Aspartame: A Safety Evaluation Based on Current Use Levels, Regulations, and Toxicological and Epidemiological Studies. Critical Reviews In Toxicology, 37(8), 629-727.

I feel better after giving it up, though. Maybe that's a placebo effect? Anyway, I bought Zevia which is sweetened with stevia. Try it sometime if you're looking for zero calorie soda alternatives.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    And because I know Sir ninerbuff is going to attack what I just said...

To be sure.. what I'm saying is, stay away from ANY sugars, and ANY processed foods for your BEST chance at losing weight and keeping it off. If you like Diet Coke, which I LOVE, then f'ing drink it. If you deny yourself what you want, you run the risk of giving up on weight loss goals. I'm simply saying that optimal weight loss and future success will come from cutting out processed foods and sugar.
    Well then there might be a problem since fruits and vegetables have sugar naturally in them.:wink:
    Restriction doesn't work. This is why many people who get close to or even reach goal, regain. They've restricted long enough to reach a goal then really, really want foods they like, but kept it out till their goal.
    Seen it over time and time again.
    The best chance at losing weight and keeping it off is to LEARN how to eat the foods you enjoy within reason. When you learn how to do that, then you have a great chance at maintaining weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This debate really, really irritates me. I see "facts" about how terrible diet drinks are for you bandied around all the time on these forums, and they're all basically the same, 'Oh the chemicals! Won't somebody think of the chemicals!" type nonsense.

Diet sodas have a very small amount of calories. They are pleasurable to drink. They are acidic, sure, but so are many other food stuffs.

All food contains chemicals, whether put there by nature or by factory line. There is absolutely no evidence that it makes people crave sweet foods. There is no evidence that, as a blanket statement, it makes anyone crave anything at all.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Drinking water is excellent for hydration, good on you. But so is Diet Coke.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that drinking diet soda makes you crave sugar. I'm a SWEET FREAK, so I thought I would try to cut out diet soda for the new year. Haven't had one in 26 days. The first two weeks were killer when I heard someone pop a can open... I felt like a vampire craving a young virgins neck!!! But I finally got thru it and just drink a lot more ice water now and when we eat out. That same trainer also said she would rather have people have an occasional regular soda rather then drink diet, so I guess I kind of believe most of info about diet soda. Another problem I had when I drank diet soda is I thought I would have to have a snack with it... well hellllooo... kinda defeats the purpose!
    This trainer believes in science, so I don't believe drinking it would make people crave sugar. I have several clients who are losing weight while drinking their diet drinks. And my clients are happy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    And because I know Sir ninerbuff is going to attack what I just said...

To be sure.. what I'm saying is, stay away from ANY sugars, and ANY processed foods for your BEST chance at losing weight and keeping it off. If you like Diet Coke, which I LOVE, then f'ing drink it. If you deny yourself what you want, you run the risk of giving up on weight loss goals. I'm simply saying that optimal weight loss and future success will come from cutting out processed foods and sugar.
    Well then there might be a problem since fruits and vegetables have sugar naturally in them.:wink:
    Restriction doesn't work. This is why many people who get close to or even reach goal, regain. They've restricted long enough to reach a goal then really, really want foods they like, but kept it out till their goal.
    Seen it over time and time again.
    The best chance at losing weight and keeping it off is to LEARN how to eat the foods you enjoy within reason. When you learn how to do that, then you have a great chance at maintaining weight.

SURELY, you knew I wasn't referring to fruits and vegetables. And that's basically what I just said niner.. If you like it drink it. If you like it eat it.. But processed foods and sugar should be avoided when possible.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This debate really, really irritates me. I see "facts" about how terrible diet drinks are for you bandied around all the time on these forums, and they're all basically the same, 'Oh the chemicals! Won't somebody think of the chemicals!" type nonsense.

Diet sodas have a very small amount of calories. They are pleasurable to drink. They are acidic, sure, but so are many other food stuffs.

All food contains chemicals, whether put there by nature or by factory line. There is absolutely no evidence that it makes people crave sweet foods. There is no evidence that, as a blanket statement, it makes anyone crave anything at all.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Drinking water is excellent for hydration, good on you. But so is Diet Coke.
    Well it's not really a debate because normally you'd have to have evidence to back what's been stated. Unfortunately many of the "anti" diet soda people use anecdotes and listen to the "health police" who are inundated with a lot of pseudoscience.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SURELY, you knew I wasn't referring to fruits and vegetables. And that's basically what I just said niner.. If you like it drink it. If you like it eat it.. But processed foods and sugar should be avoided when possible.
    When you say ANY sugar, then I would think that you were on nothing but an Atkins or pure paleo diet. Yes there are people who totally believe you don't need ANY carbs at all. And in reality carbs are non essential for life.
    And there's no evidence that avoiding processed foods or sugar will ensure better weight loss than those who do eat them. I'm more than sure that there are many, many successful members here who eat sugar and processed foods who have gotten great results.
    Let's keep it real. Weight loss is about calorie deficit more than anything else. You can lose weight eating Twinkies. You can lose weight eating McDonald's.
    But to those who are "naturalists" the only way to do it is naturally.

IDEA Fitness member
  • missbis
    Options
    The artificial sweetener in the diet soda is terrible for you. Try your best to stay away from it.

If you have any type of headaches at all the artificial sweetener is probably to blame.

This is a pretty good article about the pros and cons of artificial sweetners: http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/article.htm
    Articles aren't evidence. Peer reviewed clinical studies are.

IDEA Fitness member

True, ninerbuff, true. Go to your local library or university to access their databases in order to find academic studies on these topics. WebMD and Livestrong.com aren't academic sources, sorry.
  • committomittxoxo
    Options
    These forums are frustrating for exactly this reason btw..

Again... that's why we have a LIVER.. it filters out harmful chemicals. And yes they are in everything. But the harder it works to filter
    these out, the less it is able to breakdown fat. All I'm saying is, cutting these out or minimizing their consumption is the way to go. Is it really necessary to cite an anatomy textbook?

And for the record... I LOVE DIET COKE.
  • missbis
    Options

Again... that's why we have a LIVER.. it filters out harmful chemicals. And yes they are in everything. But the harder it works to filter
    these out, the less it is able to breakdown fat. All I'm saying is, cutting these out or minimizing their consumption is the way to go. Is it really necessary to cite an anatomy textbook?

It's necessary for people to know results from scientific studies rather than anecdotal evidence, yes. But I agree. I've cut down my diet soda consumption. They're chemically engineered ingredients. I don't see the point in consuming artificial sweeteners if there are alternatives or if you know how to control your portions with real sugar.
  • committomittxoxo
    Options
    When you say ANY sugar, then I would think that you were on nothing but an Atkins or pure paleo diet. Yes there are people who totally believe you don't need ANY carbs at all. And in reality carbs are non essential for life.
    And there's no evidence that avoiding processed foods or sugar will ensure better weight loss than those who do eat them. I'm more than sure that there are many, many successful members here who eat sugar and processed foods who have gotten great results.
    Let's keep it real. Weight loss is about calorie deficit more than anything else. You can lose weight eating Twinkies. You can lose weight eating McDonald's.
    But to those who are "naturalists" the only way to do it is naturally.

Well there you go then.. Go ahead and tell people to eat what ever they want but to just eat less of it. I'm talking about living a healthy lifestyle. Problem solved.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Your assumption is that the chemicals are harmful. Look up phenylalanine. Look up citric acid. Look up caffeine. Then realize all the natural foods that have these chemicals in them.
    The liver is much more resilient than you're leading on to. Unless one is suffering from liver disease, the functions that it carries on in daily life can't be duplicated by a single machine.

And Diet Pepsi is better than Diet Coke...................

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well there you go then.. Go ahead and tell people to eat what ever they want but to just eat less of it. I'm talking about living a healthy lifestyle. Problem solved.
    Living a healthy lifestyle can be done eating processed foods and sugar. Don't understand why you don't think it can be done.

IDEA Fitness member
  • committomittxoxo
    Options
    Last post because I just can’t stand this…

I’m NOT saying that all chemicals are bad. Like I said, THAT’S WHAT YOUR LIVER IS THERE FOR. Of course there are chemicals in almost everything. Again, liver. But if you’re trying to lose weight, you want your liver to work as hard as possible to breakdown fat. If it’s working too hard to breakdown all the chemicals your shoving in your mouth, it will be less capable of breaking down fat. And as I said earlier, it depends on your own liver’s efficiency.
    I’m also not saying that a healthy lifestyle cannot be achieved eating processed foods or as you suggest, twinkies and Mc Donalds. What I’m saying is your OPTIMAL weight loss/HEALTH will likely come from minimizing your consumption of these items. Anything in moderation is fine.

And btw.. Diet Coke pisses Diet Pepsi. :drinker:
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    if you can't pronounce the ingredients... then it doesn't belong in your body.

So you're saying that people with a background in chemistry can drink diet soda, since they can pronounce the ingredients, but those without such and education cannot?

woo hoo! I can drink diet soda!! So glad I took AP Chemistry in HS and College <3
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have learn 2 things so far in the Exercise world.

1. Commercials on TV for exercise equipment have taught me that if I use them I will gain muscle faster than humanly possible, get a wicked tan and lose all body hair

2. People on MFP forums have taught me the minute I become healthy I must deem all Sodas in the world as tasting horrible, they are poisonous and that I must tell everyone in sight that they are crazy for even thinking about tasting one.
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    I have learn 2 things so far in the Exercise world.

1. Commercials on TV for exercise equipment have taught me that if I use them I will gain muscle faster than humanly possible, get a wicked tan and lose all body hair

2. People on MFP forums have taught me the minute I become healthy I must deem all Sodas in the world as tasting horrible, they are poisonous and that I must tell everyone in sight that they are crazy for even thinking about tasting one.

BEAUTIFUL <3:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Last post because I just can’t stand this…

I’m NOT saying that all chemicals are bad. Like I said, THAT’S WHAT YOUR LIVER IS THERE FOR. Of course there are chemicals in almost everything. Again, liver. But if you’re trying to lose weight, you want your liver to work as hard as possible to breakdown fat. If it’s working too hard to breakdown all the chemicals your shoving in your mouth, it will be less capable of breaking down fat. And as I said earlier, it depends on your own liver’s efficiency.
    I’m also not saying that a healthy lifestyle cannot be achieved eating processed foods or as you suggest, twinkies and Mc Donalds. What I’m saying is your OPTIMAL weight loss/HEALTH will likely come from minimizing your consumption of these items. Anything in moderation is fine.

And btw.. Diet Coke pisses Diet Pepsi. :drinker:
    Everything you eat is a chemical. How your body reacts to it depends on your genetics. Fat breaks down even before making it to the liver. The liver breaking down fat further works INDEPENDENTLY from break down of consumed foods, so it's not working too hard.
    I believe we are on the same track, just that our philosophy on how the liver works conflict.

IDEA Fitness member