Chicken Nuggets!?!?!? Yay or nay!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    They are the best, but they have to be dipped in honey... maybe a Canadian thing? Damn, now I'm craving them!

oh and btw - they don't "treat" chickens with ammonia, the ammonia accumulates secondary to their waste accumulating (most barns are all in and all out - only get cleaned after the flock are sent off to slaughter, before they bring in the new ones). They treat the chickens with a number of coccidiostats and other antibiotics. And the picture of the chickens basking in the sunshine smelling flowers - ever see how many parasites and worms they have? Not to mention increased risk of communicable diseases such as avian influenza, and many poorly managed backyard flocks have nutritional dietary deficiencies which can lead to a host of problems impacting the welfare of the chickens. So really, there are problems with both systems - I'm not trying to stand up for one versus the other! (and yes, as a veterinary pathologist, I have some experience in this matter...)

:flowerforyou:
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    McDonalds nuggets are NOT mechanically separated, but all 100% WHITE MEAT (they were at one time made the other way but have changed many years ago in favour of quality!)

Still come from factory farmed, generally abused-never seen the light of day-antibotic & hormone pumped chickens.

Poultry and hog producers are not legally allowed to use hormones in the US.

Sorry, thank you. you were correct on the hormones regarding poutry.
    My fingers start typing and away she goes...lol
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    And thanks guys, now I have to get a 6-pack of McNuggets with hot mustard to go with my Big Mac and large fries tonight. Dammit.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options
    Just to clarify b/c even on a diet, fitness and general better health site, I'm looked at like a freak of nature b/c I no longer like fast food....any fast food.

Do I eat meat? Yes...if it's organic. It is factory farms I have the problem with

Do I care if you eat meat? NO....no matter what the source

Do I think WE ALL should educate ourselves on where our food is coming from? Yes

If you like it, eat it...I don't care. I use to eat it, I no longer do

That is all
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hold the phone!!!....... If I'm reading this right.... you people are telling me that McDonald's food isn't the healthiest choice out there?
    Well, that's the first time I've ever heard that in my 38 years. And to think I could've died, since I indulge in Mikkie Dee's about once every other week. Good thing I was edumacated here! I better spread the word. Where do I get a copy of that pink soft serve stuff so I can staple it to telephone poles? :tongue:
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Nay!

I love chicken fingers, though, and popcorn chicken makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

There is just something about chicken nuggets that bugs me. I think we ate too many of them when I was growing up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't white meat be mechanically separated. Is there a regulation that white meat but be hand cut or pulled from the bone?
    Because mechanically separated chicken is a process involving the whole chicken. They toss the whole chicken into a grinder (including guts and the head and everything) to take it off the bone. It gets all mashed up together. Now they separate the white meat from the dark meat, which would be a different process (similar to how they get chicken breasts).

Interesting. BTW, that is the lead ingredient on a Slim Jim, or at least it used to be.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify b/c even on a diet, fitness and general better health site, I'm looked at like a freak of nature b/c I no longer like fast food....any fast food.

Do I eat meat? Yes...if it's organic. It is factory farms I have the problem with

Do I think WE ALL should educate ourselves on where our food is coming from? Yes

That is all
    Should we check sources before posting incorrect info that villainizes fast food? Yes
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Options

That is all
    Should we check sources before posting incorrect info that villainizes fast food? Yes

IMO....fast food is evil....I also think Tyson chicken & smithfield are corrupt
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    From Mickey Dee's website: The only meat used in McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets is chicken breast meat. The white meat is minced before being shaped into nuggets, and then coated with a specially seasoned batter at our trusted suppliers, such as Keystone Foods. You may also like to try the Chicken Selects Premium Breast Strips which are made from white meat chicken which has not been minced. To find out more about Keystone Foods,
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

That is all

I totally respect your position about meats coming from quality sources, but how is it possible to provide chicken to the entire US if the only option is free-range? I just don't think it's possible to offer enough chicken without raising them the way many people object to.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Many of the well-worn myths you have perpetuated in the thread have been debunked. Arguments are always better when you can provide facts.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I ownder about Subways oven roasted chicken patty!?!?!? Might that also be mechanically seperated?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I ownder about Subways oven roasted chicken patty!?!?!? Might that also be mechanically seperated?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

IDK if it is or not but everytime I have ever tired the roasted chicken at subway it is way to dry... not even my dog will eat it lol
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Errr, no thanks on the fast food nuggets. Makes me cringe to think of bitting into those squishy cartilage pieces..... :sick:

EWE EWE EWE Thanks...I don't want nuggets anymore! I don't want to eat at all now......ewe it does seem kinda like cartilage doesn't it! LOL
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

IDK if it is or not but everytime I have ever tired the roasted chicken at subway it is way to dry... not even my dog will eat it lol

That's why I don't eat broccoli... my dog won't eat it. :tongue:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    chickfila nuggets are the best!!!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

My dog eats broccoli, she won't eat mushrooms though lol
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options

That is all

Apparently you do care, since you had to run to Google to look up all the "facts" you could about why no one should eat them.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

My dog eats broccoli, she won't eat mushrooms though lol

My dog will eat a rabbit, skin and all! Yum!