MFP and McDonald's??

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I know they need to sell ad space, but I just think that is really poor taste. That's like the American Lung Association selling ad space to Marlboro.......

McDonald's isn't going anywhere. You'll see their advertising pretty much daily, wherever you go. They spend good money to make sure of it. It's best to get used to it. You're stronger than some golden arches.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    well lets be real:0) McDonalds is a part of life, we as the over wieght, just have to be strong enough to make smart choices when there. Hardest thing ever was to order the oatmeal instead of the mc muffin i so love. That oatmeal was sooo good, it really was:0) great now i want micky d's

I hate to break it to you but that oatmeal isn't much better for you than the egg mcmuffin. It's chock full of added sugar. Even the salads and wraps at McDonalds aren't exactly healthy. I would stay away from McDonalds at all costs; I wouldn't go more than once every two weeks. I used to get an egg mcmuffin and a large coke every morning for breakfast. Now, I haven't gone there in more than three weeks. I have a goal to go an entire year. There is nothing there that I need.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    As I posted before.....you can eat mcdonalds healthy. To begin with, the reason to not eat ANY fast food is not fat, its preservatives....some of that stuff can sit on a shelf for months and doesnt decompose----there is a problem w that..

But, if you do eat there, you have options:

Of course the oatmeal.

I would get 2 eggmcmuffins when they were 2 for 1 or had a coupon...get them without cheese, and put all the egg/meat on one muffin then only use half the muffin.....a ton of protein, minimal carbs, and maybe 300 calories....for less than 2 bucks.If people eat fast food, the number one thing they should always do is throw away half the bun...the top or the bottom....that saves 100-220 calories and up to 20 carbs alone. Its the little things. I wont go on and on, but dont demonize fast food because fat Americans wont take responsibility for themselves.....we pull into the drive thru, Grimace doesnt make us go in.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a yummy lunch ,big mac yum yum yum.
    For that matter they also do not control the ads
    would you rather pay for the site
  • lcpurser
    lcpurser Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you are interested, Schwans makes a awesome HEALTHY version of the mcmuffin. I think it's better than mcdonalds. My hubby works there so I have been trying all the live smart options lol.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know they need to sell ad space, but I just think that is really poor taste. That's like the American Lung Association selling ad space to Marlboro.......

AGREED! And I love it when they have the weight loss surgery ads, diet pills etc... And I have never inquired about either so why would I see those?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't control the advertising. The ads are hosted by google, and they advertise based on things you comment on and search for on the internet. So if you post "Mcdonalds sucks," the ad software just reads McDonalds and decides to give you an ad on that. That's why at one point I was getting a lot of HCG related ads, because I posted a lot about how HCG sucks.

Yes --^^^
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    oh, it doesn't tempt me.:o) McDonald's is the last place I would want to go. I am doing away with all processed stuff and don't want to eat all the GMO's that are in foods, just thought it was bad taste for it to be on a fitness site.

I didn't realize the ads were from google, so glad to learn that. The ads I see are for stuff I haven't searched for...although I don't really search for much so maybe that's why? Right now it's an ad for lumosity, which I have never searched for or been on...
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    well lets be real:0) McDonalds is a part of life, we as the over wieght, just have to be strong enough to make smart choices when there. Hardest thing ever was to order the oatmeal instead of the mc muffin i so love. That oatmeal was sooo good, it really was:0) great now i want micky d's

I hate to break it to you but that oatmeal isn't much better for you than the egg mcmuffin. It's chock full of added sugar. Even the salads and wraps at McDonalds aren't exactly healthy. I would stay away from McDonalds at all costs; I wouldn't go more than once every two weeks. I used to get an egg mcmuffin and a large coke every morning for breakfast. Now, I haven't gone there in more than three weeks. I have a goal to go an entire year. There is nothing there that I need.

You're absolutely right about staying away. Fast food is not nutritious...SOME of the salads are a better choice, but not many.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Besides the adds pop up depending on what you have been searching the web for. Example I was looking for flights earlier now I have a KAYAK add on mine. Soooooooo what were you looking for?????

McDonald's isn't going anywhere. You'll see their advertising pretty much daily, wherever you go. They spend good money to make sure of it. It's best to get used to it. You're stronger than some golden arches.
  • Wayne_C1972
    Wayne_C1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can see how some may find it offensive or hypocritical to see an ad from Mcdonalds, but it is a necessity unless you would rather be charged a fee. As stated many times already, advertising pays for the site and helps keep it free for us. If it bothers you that much, look into an Ad-blocker for your browser. There are plenty I recommend ad-block plus. I personally have an ad-blocker installed on all of my browsers.
  • Charmblossom
    Charmblossom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is healthy oatmeal.....y'know?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    That's because there was a post about McDonalds a little while ago. I notice when people are talking about something it often appears in the adds. Big Brother is watching.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I don't get any ads on my page due to Ad Blocker Pro. Look into it if you are easily tempted. :wink:
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

AGREED! And I love it when they have the weight loss surgery ads, diet pills etc... And I have never inquired about either so why would I see those?

Because you're on a website where many people are focused on weight loss, & Google knows that. The ads are completely tailored to your Internet activity (which doesn't mean they get it right 100% of the time!).
  • nelsonf2f
    nelsonf2f Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Who cares!!!!! Its advertising space being payed by an advertiser. Feel free to pay for the space if you don't want anyone else to!!! Plus fast food places don't make people fat....people make themselves fat!!!! I see Ronald McDonald holding a gun to your head and says eat the hamburger or else. Some people like to put the blame on others....but really....blame yourself for eating that way!!!!
  • aluecker
    Options
    @BrettPGH, i could have written ALL of your post. YUM! BDC!

you look great, btw. keep it up! :)
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    One can't complain about ANY ads on MFP, since they clearly stated in the Terms of Use that MFP is not responsible for Third party advice, etc:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/terms_of_use

Some subtitles of the Terms of Use:

6. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL SERVICES OR ADVICE; NO DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP

8. RELIANCE ON THIRD-PARTY CONTENT
    Opinions, advice, statements, or other information, including, without limitation, food, nutrition and exercise data, made available by means of the Website and Services by third parties, are those of their respective authors, and should not necessarily be relied on.

16. THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
    The Website is linked with the websites of third parties (“Third-Party Websites”), some of whom may have established relationships with MyFitnessPal and some of whom may not. MyFitnessPal does not have control over the content and performance of Third-Party Websites. MYFITNESSPAL HAS NOT REVIEWED, AND CANNOT REVIEW OR CONTROL, ALL OF THE MATERIAL, INCLUDING COMPUTER SOFTWARE OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES, MADE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES. ACCORDINGLY, MYFITNESSPAL DOES NOT REPRESENT, WARRANT OR ENDORSE ANY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITE, OR THE ACCURACY, CURRENCY, CONTENT, FITNESS, LAWFULNESS OR QUALITY OF THE INFORMATION MATERIAL, GOODS OR SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES. MYFITNESSPAL DISCLAIMS, AND YOU AGREE TO ASSUME, ALL RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER HARM, WHETHER TO YOU OR TO THIRD PARTIES, RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES.

MFP is great, and I just IGNORE the ads. At least up until now :-)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    oh, it doesn't tempt me.:o) McDonald's is the last place I would want to go. I am doing away with all processed stuff and don't want to eat all the GMO's that are in foods, just thought it was bad taste for it to be on a fitness site.

I didn't realize the ads were from google, so glad to learn that. The ads I see are for stuff I haven't searched for...although I don't really search for much so maybe that's why? Right now it's an ad for lumosity, which I have never searched for or been on...

its not only stuff you search for,like i never search for make up but i have commented on a thread about make up,and now i get make up ads. It will go off the threads you read as well
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Who cares!!!!! Its advertising space being payed by an advertiser. Feel free to pay for the space if you don't want anyone else to!!! Plus fast food places don't make people fat....people make themselves fat!!!! I see Ronald McDonald holding a gun to your head and says eat the hamburger or else. Some people like to put the blame on others....but really....blame yourself for eating that way!!!!

Love the side salad with a piece of grilled chicken, apple dippers no carmel and a nice glass of ice water. Hmm I can have a healthy meal at McDonalds and not feel bad about my choices. It is about what we choose to do not what they choose to show us. :happy: