MFP and McDonald's??

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a McDonald's ad... I always see Slimband...or Fitness Town Warehouse ... lol
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    MFP is free because of the ads....I don't care whats on here just keep my MFP free!!!
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As I posted before.....you can eat mcdonalds healthy. To begin with, the reason to not eat ANY fast food is not fat, its preservatives....some of that stuff can sit on a shelf for months and doesnt decompose----there is a problem w that..

But, if you do eat there, you have options:

Of course the oatmeal.

I would get 2 eggmcmuffins when they were 2 for 1 or had a coupon...get them without cheese, and put all the egg/meat on one muffin then only use half the muffin.....a ton of protein, minimal carbs, and maybe 300 calories....for less than 2 bucks.If people eat fast food, the number one thing they should always do is throw away half the bun...the top or the bottom....that saves 100-220 calories and up to 20 carbs alone. Its the little things. I wont go on and on, but dont demonize fast food because fat Americans wont take responsibility for themselves.....we pull into the drive thru, Grimace doesnt make us go in.

No, you're right, it ISN'T Grimace who makes me go...it's the Hamburglar! :laugh:
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't control the advertising. The ads are hosted by google, and they advertise based on things you comment on and search for on the internet. So if you post "Mcdonalds sucks," the ad software just reads McDonalds and decides to give you an ad on that. That's why at one point I was getting a lot of HCG related ads, because I posted a lot about how HCG sucks.

This is true. Ads are different for everyone depending on what you search, click on, and type on the internet. Every click and key stroke can be recorded/tracked. Websites can track how you get to their sites whether it is from an email link, rotating ad on a different site, google search, or a plain link from a different site. The internet is very sophisticated...I used to be a Web Designer/Developer.

Example: I have been looking into all-inclusive vacations for the summer recently and also searching for a counseling internship since I am in my final stretch of getting my Masters in Arts in Counseling. Right now the ad at the top is showing something for a couples resort in Jamaica and the ad on the side is advertising a Substance Abuse Treatment Center (I've looked into alot of those recently for intern opportunities).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just saw an add for McDonald's on here.....seriously?? For a website that is here to help people live a healthier lifestyle, I can't believe they would be promoting Mc Donald's!! SMH

MFP has no control over what ads are shown or not. The ads that pop up are based off the search history and topics you browse on MFP also.

If someone types pizza, there will be pizza ads at some point............
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the McMuffin that was hurting you - it was the Large Coke.

Oh, defintiely. I was drinking a lot of coke - it's probably my biggest vice. I haven't had a coke in 23 days. Actually, no soda at all. Just water, and then sometimes we mix up a pitcher of crystal light on the weekends.
    But that doesn't mean the egg mcmuffin was doing me any favors. Calorie wise they're not so bad, but they're very greasy.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    There are many ad block software out there. If the advertising are bothering you, block them and problem solved.
  • donnajoclark
    Options
    I just had McDonald's for lunch - grilled chicken ceaser salad - only 190 calories. Less calories than my breakfast of oatmeal!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don;t even read the ads. And why not? You will come across it sooner or later. Better here where you have all your friends to back you up and keep you motivated, then somewhere else, when you are alone, starving and desperate ^^
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I noticed something similar...I added a "homemade samoa" cookie to my diary. Lo and behold, the next day I had an ad for a recipe for homemade samoas. I really hate that, I don't like adding my calories for califlower and having a big yummy cookie staring at me from the sidelines. I can resist, but I really don't need any added temptations! (But I'm glad MFP is free, so I just ignore it!)
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i see dominos on here alot, & top of my screen filled with cookies & donuts lol
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just saw an add for McDonald's on here.....seriously?? For a website that is here to help people live a healthier lifestyle, I can't believe they would be promoting Mc Donald's!! SMH

It's not the way it works, the ads here are based on cookies save on your computer, so that means you must of searched for something McDonalds related the ad choice sees the cookies from McDonalds and puts ads up based on them because they think you like it. I did a search for Beavis and Butthead a few days ago and i got beavis and butthead DVD ads!

(delete the cookies and the ads related McDonald's will go away)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Adblock Plus. Never worry about having to see or complain about ads again.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't control the advertising. The ads are hosted by google, and they advertise based on things you comment on and search for on the internet. So if you post "Mcdonalds sucks," the ad software just reads McDonalds and decides to give you an ad on that. That's why at one point I was getting a lot of HCG related ads, because I posted a lot about how HCG sucks.

Mhmm... Mine are all about shoes.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I had McDonalds twice this week for lunch (this is not a normal week for me ...usually it's once a month) and love it. Both meals were under 500 calories and worth every one. :)
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You know actually, the editor of Men's Health, David Zincenko, gave McDonald's a 'B' for at least trying to get some lower cal stuff in there, but it all comes down to how they market too. In the popular "Eat This Not That", he suggested having one of the Snack Wraps as your sandwich meal instead of the big honking sandwich like a Double QPounder or something. And Mickey D's puts out their nutrition too, so at the end of the day, it's still all about choice!

I saw a Weightwatchers add here too which was odd because MFP is very similar to WW's PointsTracker in many ways, AND IT'S FREE which I love. (Don't tell my wife, but I think it's a little better too... the scanner on the iPhone app is amazing...) But that goes to show how amazing MFP is!
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm using Google Chrome and have AdBlock and Keep My Opt-Outs installed, I don't see any adverts :happy:
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    maybe they are just showing any and every ad on mine since I don't really google. I do FB, pinterest, MFP, my emails, and my bank. Right now it's Chuck E. Cheese and I know I have NEVER googled or been to that site! LOL!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    maybe they are just showing any and every ad on mine since I don't really google. I do FB, pinterest, MFP, my emails, and my bank. Right now it's Chuck E. Cheese and I know I have NEVER googled or been to that site! LOL!

Did you think about cheese? I do... every day :wink:
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Did you think about cheese? I do... every day :wink:

Ah -ha!! That's it!!!! They are mind readers!! I must have been thinking about how much I hate McDonalds and they were trying to change my mind!! ;o)