I don't know why, but I want to like brussel sprouts...

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I want to like them too but just can't get over the dirt taste they seem to have....will for sure be trying some of these recipes out!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I hated brussel sprouts until I cut them in half...olive oil, salt, pepper and put them on a hot grill. Ok..now I like.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    THIS is the recipe....oh my...these were heavenly with a roasted pork tenderloin....

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/11/dijon-braised-brussels-sprouts/
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    They're very healthy for you. Cut them in half, marinate in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper. Roast in the oven until soft. But cut in half so they cook more evenly.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Try using the smallest ones you can find. The bigger they are, the more bitter they seem to be. The small ones are scrumptious!
  • TinaS70
    TinaS70 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump to try recipes..love them
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

Roasting is good for most veggies...butternut squash is awesome. (but a pain to peel and chop)

You can also steam 'em and squeeze lemon juice on top.

I like them steamed with a drizzle of A-1 sauce.
    Roasted with garlic salt.
    Mixed with small onions in a white vinegar/lemon pepper/evoo sauce.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    they are disgusting no matter what! lol
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    brussels pan roasted w/ lemon, garlic and ff butter.....holy yum!!!!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I grew up HATING THEM. My mother would make me sit at the table ALL NIGHT until I finished them. I'd wait until they vacated the kitchen and the TV was loud and the I'd little by little put them in the trash. THAT'S HOW MUCH I HATED THEM!!!!! That said, I now am loving them as an adult. I found this recipe in my Cooking Light magazine and decided to try it. It is now one of my favorite recipes. I do use fresh ones and cook them longer than it says so they are soft. Hope you learn to love them!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-brussels-sprouts-50400000117840/

Edit: Even my picky husband loves this dish!
  • Racheli730
    Options
    For a slightly richer side that is still ok on your calorie count, sautee a tiny bit of turkey bacon to flavor the oilive oil, and sautee with shallots, a Tbsp. of brown sugar, and use plenty of S&P. You can keep or toss the bacon bits. Just adjust calories accordingly.

Usually I roast them . Lots of salt, no pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast at a higher temperature so that the outer layers get crisp. They taste like chips.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump...I love them!!!
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,856 Member
    Options
    Must try some of these tips...I just bought some at the farmers' market!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I want to like tomatoes

Me too. I love tomatoe based things.....like soups, sauces and ketchup but I despise raw tomatoes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All my life I hated brussel sprouts. Then one day a couple of years ago my husband bought some and said he was cooking them on the grill. I wasn't even going to try them but I'm always on his case about not trying new things so I did. They were fabulous!! Fresh sprouts cooked on the grill or roasted in the oven is still only way I like them, but oh boy do I love like that. They are now on my 'most used' food page.

So my suggestion is to toss them in olive oil, spice them up (garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder) and grill or roast them.
  • littletiger97
    littletiger97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love brussell sprouts!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    BACON is the answer.. I love brussels sprouts no matter how they are fixed but this recipe is the bomb!
    steam your sprouts for about 7 minutes. in the mean time chop some bacon and fry.. when the sprouts are done cut the ends off and chop add a dash of lemon and the bacon with the grease , salt and pepper to taste . place them in the oven and roast until the edges turn brown..num num!!.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    But, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find a recipe that I like. Does anyone have any suggestions on making them delicious? My local farmers market sells them on the stalk and really want to get one!

Me too! I really want to like them. When roasted..I do like the crispy outside leaves that fall off..they are really tasty..still
    struggling with the whole...
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do exactly that, except I use bacon. They are fabulous!!!
  • perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Even better with Hooters sauce on them. ;)