I don't know why, but I want to like brussel sprouts...

Options
1235»

Replies

• shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I prepared them a very simple way: cleaned and trimmed fresh sprouts.Cut them in half. Steamed in a covered pan with some water and chicken broth, to which I had added some minced garlic. I also added some canned chicken breast, (broken up). I later removed the lid, added some fresh basil and reduced liquid. They were tender, and still bright green. I melted some butter on the hot vegetables and served. They were very tasty....There was never any problem with any bitterness, but they were young fresh sprouts......
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    But, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find a recipe that I like. Does anyone have any suggestions on making them delicious? My local farmers market sells them on the stalk and really want to get one!

Brussels Sprouts are just mini green cabbage. Any cabbage recipe can be replaced with them. Slaw is a good choice.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions, everyone! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and try roasting them and go from there. :D
  • brigitte101
    Options
    I love them roasted. just cut them in half, smash some garlic cloves (I love garlic so I use about 6 cloves) drisel olive oil on them, salt & pepper to taste. Put in 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes (until tender and brown) YUM. just dont pour too much olive oil on them, so there texture will be more crisp. roasting veggies brings out the sweetness of the vegitable.
  • malibulu
    Options
    put them in noodles with lots of other veggies and beansprouts - maybe a bit of bacon x
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I make them the same way I make cabbage. They're kindof like little cabbages and taste very similar.

Cut them in half or quarters and cook them with a little olive oil, cumin, turmeric and salt. Cover and cook until done. Yumm. When cooking cabbage I chop it up and add peas in addition to the above. They should turn slightly carmalized on the bottom and turn little sweet. Serve with wheat chapati.