success not eating back exercise calories

Options
I am interest to here from people who have had good losses not eating back their exercise calories! I wonder what the point is in doing loads to eat loads back - I run every day to help me be healthy and slim me down

Replies

• stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I dont condone this at all however I do weight training and cardio everyday so eating it all back is extremely hard! Sometimes I carry 600-1000 calories over and I am still seeing muscle gains and losing fat, the main thing I look at is whether I am constantly hungry, if I am not hungry I am not going to force myself to eat, but I do eat a lot :)
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is, you are given say minimum 1400 calories to eat each day, which if you dont exercise, you will lose weight anyway because you are already running at a deficit (500 built in). If you exercised and burnt 500 calories you are now running at 900 calories giving yourself a 1000 calorie deficit. Far too much.

So because you have burned 500 and your deficit built in is already 500 there is 1000. You need to replace the 500 you burnt or close to it so that you will still lose the weight you have input into MFP. If you dont your metabolism will slow down and you wont burn as well as you had hoped and you wont lose like you want.

Does that make sense?
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry, if I'm not I dont worry about it.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I try not to (I usually only eat about 100 exercise cals back a day) so that when we eat out or want a cheat day (which happens on a weekly basis!!), I know I have made myself a nice big cushion with all the exercise calories and I still lose. This is amazingly motivational for me when I still lose a pound, even when I have had a day of 2500+ calories at the weekend for example!!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't unless I'm hungry and then I do. It has worked for me so far.
  • 10stonemeplz
    Options
    I guess I find it strange - biggest loser people dont eat theirs back, and also people on very low calories diets are also under the daily 1200 a day anyway, how come their metabolisms keep going?
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    When i started my weightloss journey January 2011, I was eating 1300 cals a day, and burning about 400-800 cals a day doing a different types of excercises. And the weight dropped offf! As i actually stuck to it - and not ate 1 excercise calorie back!

But last couple of months, - i have been really naughty and eating about half of my excercise cals back, and the weight is comeing offf mega slow now :sad: I need to stop doing this! As i am only halfway to my weight goal - and its going to take me years and years if i keep on at this!

It different for everyone though - it might work for you if you eat some or all of your excercise calories back. Or it might not, only you will find that out by trying it out for a few weeks and seeing what works best.:smile:
  • 10stonemeplz
    Options
    I started calorie counting 2 years and went from 218 to 147, by eating 1200 calories a day and over that time I started running and did alot of walking and also running around after 5 children! I never considered the calories from exercise until I found this site and it says to eat them back! Now I am worried that I am doing something wrong, hence the original post. I have lost weight well not eating them
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I guess I find it strange - biggest loser people dont eat theirs back, and also people on very low calories diets are also under the daily 1200 a day anyway, how come their metabolisms keep going?

Haha the EP I just watched the guys ate 3 steaks for dinner...so I'm thinking actually they might be eating back Cal's here and there.

Also, I'm under the impression if you a a lot of weight to lose and a body fat percentage high like those guys do you can maintain a low calorie diet for a lot longer without significant metabolic effects as someone who has only got, for example, 10 kg to lose.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do they?
    Read up on those winners who've gained all their weight back. Not all but some.
    Erik Chopin was one such winner from Season 3. He started at 407-pounds and reduced to 193. After the show he gained most of the weight back as is typical.....:ohwell:

If you want to follow the "Biggest Loser" examples, go for it.
    Can't say you weren't warned, and I want to be the first person to eat dirt if you succeed.

No matter what, my desire is to see you do well, lose weight, look good, feel great and live a happy life.
    Give it a try; I can tell you want to.

I sure did give it a go, and you can bet the farm that I will never - I MEAN NEVER do that again.
    My experience was just like Erik.

And after I lost the weight that first time? I looked like hell.
    Maybe you'll be different.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat most of them back. Sometimes I eat some of them if I'm hungry. It's always nice to have a cushion. But when I first started I never ate them back. I averaged around 1100 calories a day. Now I average around 1380 a day. Sometimes higher if it's a weekend and I have red wine. That always put me over. All my life I was taught in order to lose weight you eat less and workout more. I never heard of eating exercise calories back until I came on MFP. It makes no sense to me to force oneself to eat if you're not hungry. My goal is to eat less calories than I used to. Most of my fitness friends do not eat their exercise calories back. Good luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry, if I'm not I dont worry about it.

SNAP,,,x :drinker:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27lbs so far altogether and have never eaten back exercise cal. If you're hungry though you definately should eat them. I don't get hungry so I don't eat them, it's just my body. Do what yours tells you. :-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Hungry, Eat, Not Hungry, Don't Eat. . . But I eat a lot as well, I exercise a bunch too
  • ANNABELLEMoorsey
    Options
    I have never ate any of my calories back and ive lost 60lbs in four months. Obviously the more weight you lose the harder it is but I am still losing the average amount of weight (most importantly FAT) that should be lost each week which is 1-2lbs
    I had never even heard of eating back your exercise calories until i joined this site. I work out everyday and can sometimes burn between 700-1500 calories depending...
    I think if your like me and work out often then maybe up your calorie intake to around 1500 maybe. That seems to work perfectly for me. I think eating back your calories counteracts the whole point of doing exercise which is to bun fat, to eat the calories back you might as well not exercise that's how I see it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    MFP already builds in your deficit when you set up what you want to lose each week so any calories burned during exercise should be consumed to fuel you body for your workouts. My BMR is 2450 and I set my MFP to lose 1 lb. a week.. I consume 3200 calories a day (that is with eating my exercise calories back) and am still losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week after 31 months and 295 lbs. lost on this journey.....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have never ate any of my calories back and ive lost 60lbs in four months. Obviously the more weight you lose the harder it is but I am still losing the average amount of weight (most importantly FAT) that should be lost each week which is 1-2lbs
    I had never even heard of eating back your exercise calories until i joined this site. I work out everyday and can sometimes burn between 700-1500 calories depending...
    I think if your like me and work out often then maybe up your calorie intake to around 1500 maybe. That seems to work perfectly for me. I think eating back your calories counteracts the whole point of doing exercise which is to bun fat, to eat the calories back you might as well not exercise that's how I see it!

You do realize by running high caloric deficits (by not eating your exercise calories back or a big portion of them) you are also sacrificing muscle (when the body gets large caloric deficits it will burn the fasted source of energy to replenish what you aren't giving it, so it will attack muscle and break it down) it is not all fat that you are burning up which is counterproductive and will actually start slowing down your metabolism..... You can get away with it for awhile if you have a large quantity of weight to come off but eventually your going to hit the plateau wall, not to mention the muscle loss on top of it all... Just food for thought.......
  • ANNABELLEMoorsey
    Options

You do realize by running high caloric deficits (by not eating your exercise calories back or a big portion of them) you are also sacrificing muscle (when the body gets large caloric deficits it will burn the fasted source of energy to replenish what you aren't giving it, so it will attack muscle and break it down) it is not all fat that you are burning up which is counterproductive and will actually start slowing down your metabolism..... You can get away with it for awhile if you have a large quantity of weight to come off but eventually your going to hit the plateau wall, not to mention the muscle loss on top of it all... Just food for thought.......

Thanks for the concern but I actually analyse my fat mass and muscle percentage each time I weigh in and over the past few months I have not only continued to loss fat but actually gained a good amount of muscle so I don't think that applies to me :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    At first, I did not eat back my exercise calories and I lost a lot. Then, I decided to eat them back because I was strength training, but I haven't lost as well since. I'm thinking of going back to my old methods until I can get some more weight off.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A Registered Dietician (she's well known in these parts, appears on televsion regularly and has written several books on nutrition and weight loss) has helped me lose 35 pounds so far, and she never once mentioned eating back calories. In fact when I read about it here I told her about it and she was a bit surprised. She did some calculations with me, showed me how many calories I'm consuming in a week and how many I'm burning, and said I should certainly not be eating them back.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!