success not eating back exercise calories

Options

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I try not to (I usually only eat about 100 exercise cals back a day) so that when we eat out or want a cheat day (which happens on a weekly basis!!), I know I have made myself a nice big cushion with all the exercise calories and I still lose. This is amazingly motivational for me when I still lose a pound, even when I have had a day of 2500+ calories at the weekend for example!!

I do this too. 6 days a week I watch my calories and eat under as much as I can without being hungry. I don't always eat my exercise calories back. Some days I do but most I don't. Then Sunday I can relax and have a cheat day (that I still log but tend to go over by at least 1000 cals if not more). The weeks I do that I seem to lose more than the weeks I just stay in my limits every day. And it gives me a nice break to look forward to.
  • ladybug813
    Options
    If I'm hungry then I eat if I'm not then I don't That's pretty basic
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all back- I used to but when I started working with a personal trainer, she evaluated my diet and told me to not eat them all back because it was simply too much since I was exercising about 2 hours a day. Not eating them all back has really pushed me through my plateau and is helping me lean out.
  • SaraRhiannon421
    SaraRhiannon421 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A Registered Dietician (she's well known in these parts, appears on televsion regularly and has written several books on nutrition and weight loss) has helped me lose 35 pounds so far, and she never once mentioned eating back calories. In fact when I read about it here I told her about it and she was a bit surprised. She did some calculations with me, showed me how many calories I'm consuming in a week and how many I'm burning, and said I should certainly not be eating them back.

that's because "eating exercise calories" is specific to MFP. It's not a universal concept. But I guarantee that if you explained to her exactly how MFP does it, I'd bet she's changed her tune. As a personal trainer, I work with multiple Registered Dietitians, and I vet them all the time for clients. I only once had one question MFP's concepts and usually once they were explained that you're given a deficit before hand and exercise calories are just there to keep you within that calorie range they were fine with it. It's actually a very scientifically sound principle if you think about it. In fact, if I explained MFP to a dietitian and they said it wasn't a good idea, I'd require them to give me some very detailed explanations as to why. In fact, that happened once. And I became skeptical of the "dietitian" and I did some background checking on him, turns out he wasn't "registered" at all, he was a nutritionist who lied about receiving a degree, and I reported him to the AG's office and he was fined and his license was revoked. It happens.

Nice reply.

I like to post this example so people can see the difference between MFP and what professionals suggest.

Say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 (1450+400) on the days you do. Whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout (they take your planned exercise into account when assigning calories, MFP does not).

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1750*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (which means same weekly weight loss). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.

This... Is Perfect.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A Registered Dietician (she's well known in these parts, appears on televsion regularly and has written several books on nutrition and weight loss) has helped me lose 35 pounds so far, and she never once mentioned eating back calories. In fact when I read about it here I told her about it and she was a bit surprised. She did some calculations with me, showed me how many calories I'm consuming in a week and how many I'm burning, and said I should certainly not be eating them back.

She shouldn't be surprised, being a dietician, she should know its perfectly normal to eat the calories back (there is already a deficit built in so eating them back does not matter) and not be shock one bit. Weight Watchers you do eat them back as well and a PT (Physical Therapist) I talk too also told me you're suppose to eat them back. it because you need those calories. I mainly eat mine back and losing weight and when i had lost weight before I ate them back and lost just fine.

Say your body runs on 2000 calories (to maintain), And you're calorie is set to 1200, there's 800 deficit right there. If you exercise you're body will burn and run higher then 2000 calories, like say you burned 150 calories with your work out, that's 150 added to the 2000 so eating them back still would give you 800 calories you are burning for that day. The only thing that tweaks with that is the setting you got it on about how active your life style is.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I never eat my my exercise calories back. To be honest, since i started dieting at new year i get full REALLY quickly and don't really eat a hell of alot. I find it hard to reach the 1200 cals that i am supposed to eat let alone eating more to compensate for the exercise! That's not to say that this is the right way to go about it as i know (i have had many people lecturing me) that it isn't but why eat when your not hungry just to reach your calorie target for the day!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    there is no science in what Im about to say but I try to eat back about 25% -33% of the calories burnt, I also pre-eat those calories as I know what I will be burning from exercise, it works for me personally Im suppose to consume 1800 but usually eat around 2000-2200 but I burn between 1000-1600 calories a day so Im still eating a lot but also burning a lot too, my point been it works for me eating back some of those calories, I finding that im having better results from it than when I never ate back calories
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Since you have been at this for a year, you may want to change your exercise routine. Our bodies are smarter than we are, so become more efficient at accepting whatever exercise we are doing. So you either have to do more or vary what you are doing so you can "outsmart" your body.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    Since you have been at this for a year, you may want to change your exercise routine. Our bodies are smarter than we are, so become more efficient at accepting whatever exercise we are doing. So you either have to do more or vary what you are doing so you can "outsmart" your body.

and I totally agree with this, I change my routine up every other week to shock my body if it adapts to the excercise im doing
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I get it now... thanks to everyone! Basically, yes, you'll lose weight if you don't eat them back, but you'll be losing muscle and probably will be hungry. If you eat them back you will still lose weight if you stay within the # MFP recommends, since the deficit is built in already. Sounds like this is the way to go. I am excited to try this - I am going to eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories since I estimate a lot and want to account for that. I will make sure my net calories are over 1200 as well.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 100% of my exercise calories back about 90% of the time. The only time I haven't is when I was too super busy to eat or fell asleep. once in awhile, I just wasn't hungry...but like I said, I normally ate them back.

But, I have always eaten a lot. I learned early on that I needed to exercise in order to eat more. 1600-1700 a day wasn't enough when I started, so I wanted to eat like 2000 calories, so I worked out in order to do so.

With eating my exercise calories back 90% of the time, I was still able to lose weight. Since July 2011, I have lost 34 lbs. Most of the weight came off early on - and only the last couple months has it been really slow...but I also upped my calories as I think I'm close to the end - maybe all the way done. HAHA.
  • ANNABELLEMoorsey
    Options

Like already stated on here eating back your calories is not a universal principle. So many people on here have said they only eat back half or 25% or none and still lose weight. Some have even said they don't lose anything. If this was the correct practise for everyone it would work for anyone trying to lose weight right?
    I spoke to several people at the gym recently, Specifically people who have lost a significant amount of weight. They never ate back their calories, are able to maintain their weight normally and actually have a great deal of muscle. I don't think that you can claim everyone who doesn't eat back their calories loses muscles. I am NOT in the obese categorie and I have NOT loss anything but fat the last few months. When exactly is this suppose to start happening because according to a few of you it should be happening already right?

first, nobody loses all fat, even the most prolific weight loss is about 10% lean mass, if your deficit is very high, it goes up to about 15 to 20% lean mass.

Second, those of us who've done years of study into clinical research of this topic, will tell you that this happens when the body starts shifting hormone production into something called the "famine response" which means cortisol production increases, IGF-1 and IGF-2 production decreases, HGH levels go down, Thyroid activity decreases, and Testosterone productivity goes down. These all correlate into lower muscle mass production and repair, higher percentage of fat stored from nutritional glucose intake, and reduced organ and metabolic activity.

I'll shout this as loud as I can in a forum. THIS PROCESS IS VERY GRADUAL. You don't wake up one morning and say, wow, I feel like I'm in starvation mode. You'd probably never notice it unless you transitioned into what's known as actual starvation (a completely different subject by the way) because it can take many weeks and/or months to do this. Kind of like the frog in the slowly boiling pot example. Nobody notices a gradual reduction in power and energy because it's gradual.
    That doesn't mean it's not effecting you long term.

Most people get the wrong idea when someone mentions "starvation mode". They think, no weight loss or burning mostly muscle mass, or no energy. That's not how it goes. Starvation mode is essentially your body trying harder to store calories and doing it's best to reduce the extra energy needed to do things over and above what is required.

Energy comes from 3 sources for humans, nutritional intake, stored fat, and lean mass. At ALL times you are using all 3 as energy. The percentages change based on activity level, age, health, weight, and sex (and genetics obviously).
    The important thing to understand about starvation mode, other than that it is an actual, real thing, is that the more stored fat we have, the harder it becomes to reach that point.

The human body will pull fat from storage based on need, and availability. Fat is stored in pockets, and the body can only extract fat for energy from the surface areas of that storage, thus no matter how much fat you have, the further away it is from the vascular system, and the more dense it is, the less you can pull at any one time. Think about fat like a block of ice. You can't melt the middle until you melt the surface. Thus your body can only deliver so many calories from stored fat at any one time. It's limited, and not enough to deliver all the calories a normal person would need for every day homeostasis (maintenance), even if they were very obese.

Energy balance is constant, so if you are giving yourself 75% of calories needed to do what you're doing right now, then 25% HAS to come from somewhere else, that's not debatable, either you get it, or you quickly fatigue, if your body can only deliver 20% of the deficit from fat, then guess where the rest comes from (yep, lean mass).

Put that in terms of someone who doesn't have copious amounts of fat hanging around, Say they are eating 60% of their energy needs, not only does this leave little protein for muscle repair (and essentially none for new muscle growth), it also means they need energy from stored sources in the body OR their body will recognize a prolonged imbalance and reduce metabolic rates (by prioritizing organ function usually). So, that same person needs to pull 40% of their calories from somewhere, if they don't have lots of fat available, delivering that energy will be virtually impossible, even if they canabalize lean mass, thus the body reduces metabolic function to compensate. What are the first things to reduce? The defense systems and the external systems. Ever wonder why really emaciated people have really stringy hair, look pasty and sick? That's because their body has decided that they need energy for their liver, and heart, and brain, and kidneys, at the expense of their immune system and skin, and hair and nails. This doesn't happen in a day or two, it takes weeks or months depending on the deficit, the person, and the amount of fat available, and won't even begin until glycogen reserves are low enough to warrant it.

These things I've said are not up for debate, they are medical fact, you can look all of it up in any college level advanced nutrition and human metabolism book.

Please note, for nit pickers, I've left out some things to keep this somewhat readable, there's more detail to this story, a lot more. but this is a good outline.

-Banks
    Right. This is the only thing i've read on here that actually makes some sense! Thanks
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    When i started my weightloss journey January 2011, I was eating 1300 cals a day, and burning about 400-800 cals a day doing a different types of excercises. And the weight dropped offf! As i actually stuck to it - and not ate 1 excercise calorie back!

1300-800= 500 calories.

It's no surprise that you lost weight rapidly, as that is actually fewer calories than many people with anorexia nervosa consume.

What people don't understand is basal metabolic rate BMR. That's how many calories you need every day if you did nothing but lie in bed and breathe. From there there is a formula (Harris Benedict) that you use to determine (based upon your activity level) your daily caloric expenditure. Eating back 100% of the DCE allows you to maintain your current weight. To lose 2 pounds a week, you need to create a 1,000 calorie deficit.

Example

My BMR is 2026 calories. I am currently lightly active. According to the Harris-Benedict formula, I would need to consume roughly 2600 calories to maintain my current weight. Creating a 1,000 calorie deficit (2 pounds/week) leaves me at 1600 calories consumed. That's not too far off of my 1440 that MFP recommends.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have before and I am now,

I stay at 1500, and a couple times a week I burn 1060, I never eat over 2000, I lost 21 pounds in 1 month, I am eating more fiber foods and I wait to eat as long as I can then I eat a big breafast do my work out, come back hungry eat a smaller size lunch, then a snack, then dinner, fruit and veggies free =)
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the advice given here is really sensible but it is fair to say that it is YOUR body, and what works for someone may not work for someone else.

Personally, I try to look at it as a lifestyle rather than a regime - I intend to carry on living like this forever. If I am hungry, I eat into some of my exercise cals, my body is giving me a message and I respond. If I'm not hungry, I usually use some of the exercise cals to make up some of the vitamins or whatever I have been lacking for that day, so for example I may not be hungry but need some vitamin C, so I'll have an orange.

Then what is left over I 'save' for a treat or a meal out or whatever. I know that in myself I am going to want a treat every now and then, and as long as I've done the exercise and I'm not eating everyday, I don't see the harm in having some chocolate or a drink.

Put it this way, my calorie limit is 1200. This puts me at a loss even if i dont exercise. When (not if) I reach my goal weight, I still plan to eat well and exercise, but I'm not going to want to keep losing weight. So for me personally, eating back some of my exercise calories is the only way I can see myself sticking to this.

Sure, I could lose the weight quicker if I didn't eat my exercise calories, but it took me a good 3 years to eat my way up to my Start Weight, I need to give my mind and my body some time to adjust to losing the weight too. As well as trying to avoid lots of excess skin.
    I also find it helps keep me motivated. On trying to lose weight previous times I'd be heartbroken if I didn't lose more than 4lbs, and it simply wasn't sustainable with my life - I don't want to never eat chocolate again! So having a rough guideline of 1-2lbs per week feels like a much easier mountain to climb :)
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should quickly point out that was meant to say "as long as I am not eating it (chocolate) every day. Obviously I'm not saying I don't eat somedays.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I never ate them back and had success.

Now, in the final 10 lbs, my body is much more hungry and loses more when I eat them back.

Your body will tell you what to do. Just listen. :)

I should add that I was very scared to start eating my exercise cals, but I am SO glad I started! Good luck!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!