success not eating back exercise calories

Options

Replies

• judieschaefer
    Options
    I am having trouble understanding why exercising for health and then eating more calories because of it is the way to weight loss...By not doing this I lost a record amount my first week - 9 lbs! I don't expect this every week but it was a nice boost the first week...If any one knows the reasoning behind this I would be interested...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i personally dont like eating the calories i have "earned" from working out. i see more results not eating them. when and if i eat them i tend to be stuck at a weight i cant break. i also think whatever is working for you then keep it up. if you hit a wall and the weight doesnt seem to be dropping off then tweak it .maybe eat only half of your exercise calories and if the weight starts again then you know what you should do. i think it is different for eveyone but i personally dont like to eat them.

You may see better results on the scale, but I can assure you that more of your loss will be from lean muscle then someone that eats them back, which means you may hit your goal wieght quicker not eating them, but you will have a higher BF% at that wieght, then if you did eat them.

So ask yourself, do you want to lose weight, or fat? If you answered fat, you should be eating most of your exercise calories back.

You know... I try to avoid engaging in debate with you because it never seems to go well. But you do know that the rate of muscle loss is dependent upon one's BMI, and for those that are obese, the loss to muscle is minimal, right?

The more obese someone is the less muscle they should lose in theory (depends on protein intake, amount of strength training as well). Some of the people (a lot actually) that do not eat them back don't have a lot to lose and for them it can become a serious issue. if you have 100+ lbs to lose and set your goal to lose 1 lb/week, you would be fine not eating them back.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    i personally dont like eating the calories i have "earned" from working out. i see more results not eating them. when and if i eat them i tend to be stuck at a weight i cant break. i also think whatever is working for you then keep it up. if you hit a wall and the weight doesnt seem to be dropping off then tweak it .maybe eat only half of your exercise calories and if the weight starts again then you know what you should do. i think it is different for eveyone but i personally dont like to eat them.

You may see better results on the scale, but I can assure you that more of your loss will be from lean muscle then someone that eats them back, which means you may hit your goal wieght quicker not eating them, but you will have a higher BF% at that wieght, then if you did eat them.

So ask yourself, do you want to lose weight, or fat? If you answered fat, you should be eating most of your exercise calories back.

You know... I try to avoid engaging in debate with you because it never seems to go well. But you do know that the rate of muscle loss is dependent upon one's BMI, and for those that are obese, the loss to muscle is minimal, right?

The more obese someone is the less muscle they should lose in theory (depends on protein intake, amount of strength training as well). Some of the people (a lot actually) that do not eat them back don't have a lot to lose and for them it can become a serious issue. if you have 100+ lbs to lose and set your goal to lose 1 lb/week, you would be fine not eating them back.

I agree that a lot of people should be eating them back, but aren't, but it creates confusion for people when their isn't a specification made in the difference. As a result, some people who are not yet in the appropriate BMI range can hinder their weight loss, just as I have done, by following that program too soon. It is your choice to post information on the boards however you want, but I urge you to make a distinction about the effect that BMI has on this particular topic. Obese people are in the most need of rapid weight loss, and are at the least risk of muscle loss, and should know that. Even though you might be speaking to one particular poster, everyone is reading these threads.
  • erickirb
    Options

I agree that a lot of people should be eating them back, but aren't, but it creates confusion for people when their isn't a specification made in the difference. As a result, some people who are not yet in the appropriate BMI range can hinder their weight loss, just as I have done, by following that program too soon. It is your choice to post information on the boards however you want, but I urge you to make a distinction about the effect that BMI has on this particular topic. Obese people are in the most need of rapid weight loss, and are at the least risk of muscle loss, and should know that. Even though you might be speaking to one particular poster, everyone is reading these threads.
    I see where you are coming from, but even for obese people they need to eat them back in order to lose their goal amount of weight. Yes they may lose more if they don't eat them back, but they must eat them back to hit not exceed their weekly goal. (and it is a goal for a reason, or at least should be). In any event what is wrong with only losing 1-2 lbs/week even if you are obese? This is what is recommended even for obese individuals (2lbs/week at most), as the slower the weight is lost the more likely the loser is to keep it off.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Double Post
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I take my advice from my wellness/fitness coach. No one else. These threads offer opinions most of the time not factual information.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I take my advice from my wellness/fitness coach. No one else. These threads offer opinions most of the time not factual information.

That is what many wellness/fitness coaches do as well (not all, but a lot of them do)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    There's lots of ways to get to the same goal.

I think most of us will agree that eating NOTHING is bad for you and ultimately won't help you achieve your weight loss goals (extreme starvation). One point that might be argued is that from a body energy perspective, eating 100 calories and then burning 100 calories is the same as eating 0 calories and eating 1000 calories and then burning 500 calories is the same as eating 500 calories.

I also think most of us will agree that eating 2,000,000 calories a day is also bad for you and ultimately won't help you achieve your weight loss goals (extreme gorging).

So we need a happy and healthy medium, one where you eat enough calories to survive, but not so many that you gain weight.

Taking the specifics aside, you can do that in a number of ways:

1) You can eat a baseline number of calories, and any effort you do over that baseline you would consume additional calories (MFP).

2) You can eat above the baseline, and let that buffer build but subtract from it with exercise. (what folks against MFP's strategy are doing by default).

3) You can recognize that estimations of caloric intake AND expenditure are notoriously inaccurate, and because of this try to find some happy medium of the first two options where you don't eat back ALL your exercise calories (but you do nourish yourself on days of extreme exertion) and you also recognize that you eating at the baseline probably means you're over a bit so it evens out (this is what I do).

The thing to realize is that those who are doing 2) by default need to recognize what they are actually doing. If you eat 1200 calories a day, and burn 1000 calories per day, your body will respond as if it's receiving 200 calories per day of nourishment (if it doesn't do this, there's a VERY good chance you're either overestimating calorie burn or underestimating calorie intake). That's what your effective baseline now is, 200 calories per day. If you think that's healthy and want to do that, then there's not a lot that I can do to convince you otherwise. Extremely overweight people like myself can handle that sort of thing better than folks who are closer to their ideal body weight, but they would still almost certainly wreak havok on their metabolism and cause other potential health issues down the road.

My $0.02
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Given that MFP estimates tend to suggest you have burned more than is actually the case. If you follow the advice of people who say "you must eat all of them back" then don't expect to lose your predicted number, each week. Seems pretty simple... air on the side of caution and eat some back if you like but not all. This works for me anyway. If I was eating back all of my exercise cals I would be consuming 4000 cals per day. I used to be like this and it really didn't help me with weight or health ;-)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    According to the wisdom on these forums I should be eating my exercise calories, but I did that for months (with a 1200 calorie diet) and didn't lose any weight.

About a month ago I started exercising more and only eating back some of the calories, maybe 25-75% depending on how hungry I am. Only then did I start to lose anything.

I think it's best to listen to our bodies. There are times after a workout (or the next morning) where my body really wants food, so I feed it. Other times I'm not hungry at all, so I don't bother eating the calories back.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I see where you are coming from, but even for obese people they need to eat them back in order to lose their goal amount of weight. Yes they may lose more if they don't eat them back, but they must eat them back to hit not exceed their weekly goal. (and it is a goal for a reason, or at least should be). In any event what is wrong with only losing 1-2 lbs/week even if you are obese? This is what is recommended even for obese individuals (2lbs/week at most), as the slower the weight is lost the more likely the loser is to keep it off.

All I am saying is that I have followed this program since Thanksgiving and I have not even lost 5 lbs. If I should be losing 1 lb a week then I should be around 6 or 7 lbs by now. As someone said earlier, the calorie burns on this site are off. I don't use an HRM. And I'm sure most people starting out aren't either.
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    According to the wisdom on these forums I should be eating my exercise calories, but I did that for months (with a 1200 calorie diet) and didn't lose any weight.

About a month ago I started exercising more and only eating back some of the calories, maybe 25-75% depending on how hungry I am. Only then did I start to lose anything.

I think it's best to listen to our bodies. There are times after a workout (or the next morning) where my body really wants food, so I feed it. Other times I'm not hungry at all, so I don't bother eating the calories back.

Your third paragraph sums things up perfectly. Everyone should just listen to their own body. You will know in yourself, if you really need to eat more Today.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    swhitney2, Sweet_Potato, sittingduck76: All that means is that the calorie estimates being used are inaccurate. MFP can be VERY off for estimations of calorie burn. If you only eat 50% of your exercise calories you aren't saying 'I can't eat back everything I burned' you're saying 'I don't think that estimation of my calorie burn is accurate so I'll go with a lesser number'.

Same thing =)
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I tried doing it properly for 6 months and lost nothing.

What I think might have happened is because I'm only 5'3, young, inactive (desk job) and weigh relatively little in the first place, my BMR is only just over 1500 calories. So to lose weight I have to have 500 cals per day less, right? So that's 1000 calories! Which obviously is not healthy and MFP bottoms out at 1200, which is what my goal calories were and what I was eating before.

Result: I mostly maintained my weight, with a couple of rare half pound losses on weeks where I was naughty and ate too little. ;)

So I've just started again and I'm doing 1 hour of cardio boxing 4-5 times a week. Now I'm eating my 1200 calories (and a little more when hungry) and making sure the exercise brings me down to 1000(ish) cals per day.

Result: I'm now losing about a pound per week, which I think is a fairly healthy loss - it's certainly not dropping off me but at least it's working this time. :D
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    swhitney2, Sweet_Potato, sittingduck76: All that means is that the calorie estimates being used are inaccurate. MFP can be VERY off for estimations of calorie burn. If you only eat 50% of your exercise calories you aren't saying 'I can't eat back everything I burned' you're saying 'I don't think that estimation of my calorie burn is accurate so I'll go with a lesser number'.

Same thing =)

Either way, all I need is a decent green number at the end of the day and it's all good :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I tried doing it properly for 6 months and lost nothing.

What I think might have happened is because I'm only 5'3, young, inactive (desk job) and weigh relatively little in the first place, my BMR is only just over 1500 calories. So to lose weight I have to have 500 cals per day less, right? So that's 1000 calories! Which obviously is not healthy and MFP bottoms out at 1200, which is what my goal calories were and what I was eating before.

Result: I mostly maintained my weight, with a couple of rare half pound losses on weeks where I was naughty and ate too little. ;)

So I've just started again and I'm doing 1 hour of cardio boxing 4-5 times a week. Now I'm eating my 1200 calories (and a little more when hungry) and making sure the exercise brings me down to 1000(ish) cals per day.

Result: I'm now losing about a pound per week, which I think is a fairly healthy loss - it's certainly not dropping off me but at least it's working this time. :D

Yup, some people will hold 1200 as the magic bar under which you'll immediately start to look like Bale in the Machinist but that's not the case. The important thing to recognize is that if you're eating 1000 calories, your daily consumption is 1000 calories. If you think that's the safest you can go and one day you exercise (assume perfect accuracy for the sake of the argument) and burn 500 calories, that day you should eat 1500 calories, or you should eat enough over 1000 calories over a given period of time to make up for that 500 calorie burn.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

Same thing =)

Exactly right. For me, between my food intake and my exercise calories, I'm off by about 150 calories per day (based on my actual loss compared to cumulative deficit / 3500). This is probably due to a combination of a ) inaccuracies in my food log, b ) overestimation of calorie burn or c ) other. Either way, it's my numbers that are off, not the system. So, as long as I leave 150 calories on the table per day, I lose exactly what my goal is.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Basically: View your body like a car. Your body (and cars) needs fuel. Fuel = food. When you drive you burn the fuel, when you work out, you burn your food. If you would like to continue driving, you need to buy more fuel. If your body is going to continue to work, you need food. I've read that you should do your best to eat back 70-80% of the calories you have burned.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry, if I'm not I dont worry about it.

^^^^
    Agree

I've never been someone to force myself to when I'm NOT HUNGRY. But that's just me. If I'm hungry and worked out hard, then I let myself, but if I'm not hungry why force it down??
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    Basically: View your body like a car. Your body (and cars) needs fuel. Fuel = food. When you drive you burn the fuel, when you work out, you burn your food. If you would like to continue driving, you need to buy more fuel. If your body is going to continue to work, you need food. I've read that you should do your best to eat back 70-80% of the calories you have burned.

This is exactly how my personal trainer explained it to me, except he said imagine your cars gas tank was a water bed mattress.
    Your cars BMR would be the gallons per hour needed for the engine to idle and maintain the cars systems 24/7, then if you drive the car, extra fuel is burned. So you put in more, but if you put in to much the water bed mattress starts stretching and making the *kitten* end of the car sag LOL!!!!! He said you gotta have your BMR, then if your cars mattress is to full, give it half of what it needs over the BRM for the miles you drive until its down the safe size.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!