"Healthy" cinema snacks??

Options
I have been going to the cinema more recently, as it is a good weekend activity that keeps me out of the pub. Last night I had a snack before going in the hope that this would make me not want any snacks whilst there, but it was too hard to resist and I (mistakenly) bought some chilli rice crackers thinking they would be reasonably healthy, and had some of my boyfriend's popcorn (plain, salted). When I got home I logged it and was blown away at how many calories and fat were in both, and it blew out my calories for the day.

Short of bringing carrot sticks to the cinema, does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably healthy (or at least less bad) snacks to buy at the cinema (am in the UK) or suggestions for things to bring in?

Replies

• obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    home made popcorn?
  • melpix123
    melpix123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I buy a punnet of blueberries and snack on those. can eat them mindlessly like popcorn and it doesn't matter if you eat the whole punnet.
  • NattyMay79
    NattyMay79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How about mixed berries such as raspberries, blueberries & blackberries? I know they are not in season, so could be a little more pricey than usual - but i know i'd rather spend money on something nutritious than overpriced cinema snacks. And also.... grapes? (that just sprang to mind!)

Have fun! x
  • NattyMay79
    NattyMay79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i just typed and posted my reply to this thread - and saw you had suggested the same too! lol Must be the best cinema snack of all!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Besides bottled water, you're not going to find anything healthy to buy at the cinema. Your best bet is to bring with you a snack that you usually enjoy eating.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I especially like the idea of blueberries! I thought about bringing my own popcorn, but that might be a bit awkward to sneak in.

Any other suggestions out there? Thanks!
  • hebbby
    hebbby Posts: 70
    Options
    grapes or cherries are good. or sometimes i take a small bag of malteasers or quavers so it's like a bad cinema snack but the calories are kept under control.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but here at the cinema they sell nachos..salted without cheese or sauce, I always but them the small portion (50g) is about 150 kcal :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    At the theater itself, healthy food is EXTREMELY scarce, unless you portion it out I always have a skinny cow sandwich and a small mr pibb, not good but better than nothing? Your best bet would be to bring a huge purse and sneak some yummies in, hahaaa.
  • piari
    piari Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Berries, yeah! 100 cal cookie-packs are great too.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you must snack.. .get some gummy bears and suck on them.. I like munch on raw veggies.. YOu have the same crunch as popcorn and stuff but good for you :) Movie theaters would make a killing if they offered healthy options :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Check out this super easy recipe for Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas. So delicious, healthy, and a perfect sub for popcorn at the movies: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/09/02/snack-attack-2-chili-lime-roasted-chickpeas/
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    nuts, protein bars(or gronola bars in general), pretzel sticks (in a sandwich bag), dried fruit, gold fish crackers (not sure you have them there), animal crackers
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I bring my own snacks. Plus, you save money! :) They have 100 calorie popcorn you can buy and just bring a diet soda !
  • Cathnger
    Options
    BOOTS have their own healthy brand called SHAPERS - crisps, chocolate & popcorn all under 100 calorie's each!! Thank you Boots - I officially love you lol
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Homemade popcorn.
    I normally just buy a drink & take a salad in haha.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    home made popcorn?
    And bottled water
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am going to the movies today and getting a small popcorn for 320 calories. I think that is reasonable and I just adjust my day accordingly. If you know you are going to want a snack at the movies have a lighter lunch or supper. Sometimes I will even skip supper and go to an early show and have a large popcorn as my "meal". As long as you aren't doing it all the time it's not a big deal.

You could also only bring enough money for the tickets and then even if you are tempted there isn't a way for you to buy anything.

At my theatre they also have frozen yogurt and a small isn't too bad calorie wise.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As popcorn is a favourite cinema why not bring in a pack. You can get a x6 30g pack of butterkist popcorn from £land. There 125kcal per 30g pack. That way you don't feel boring in the cinema with your fruit but still virtuous that your not stuffing those ridiculous sized tubs for so much money.
  • healthyfitandskinny
    Options
    That's what I bring when I go to the cinema : a mini bag of SmartPop popcorn (only 100 calories) and a small ziploc bag of honey nuts Cheerios. If you like chocolate, 4 or 5 squares of dark chocolate is a very good option too :) Don't forget a bottle of water !