"Healthy" cinema snacks??

Options

Replies

• MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bring some Fiber One Chocolate cereal in a baggie it's so good even dry! I don't usually bring anything and I don't get a drink because I have a small bladder and I'll have to go during the movie lol
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always sneak in food when I go to the movies. It is expensive and I don't think their is anything health there. I would make my own popcorn. I also bring 100 cal packs. They have lots of different ones to pick from. I have also found some gummy snacks that were fat free. To drink I either bring water or a diet soda.
  • _LKTxx
    Options
    As popcorn is a favourite cinema why not bring in a pack. You can get a x6 30g pack of butterkist popcorn from £land. There 125kcal per 30g pack. That way you don't feel boring in the cinema with your fruit but still virtuous that your not stuffing those ridiculous sized tubs for so much money.

Exactly what I do!
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    What about a portioned bag of crisps? That way you don't eat more than what's in the small, individual bag, and you can get really great ones that at 120 cals, or even 100 cals or less. That way you're not eating boring old health food, but still not breaking your goal! :D

That's what I've transitioned to anyways, and I'm a huuuuuuuuge crisp eater.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm In Australia and not sure if this helps in the UK. But what I do is go to Kmart and pick up a huge 10 pack of air popped popcorn for very little money. Each pack is less than 100 cals and quite satisfying. The other packs are for another day or for friends. Low calorie, low cost and ability to share individual packs - awesome.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to eat at the cinema at all.
    Sitting on your bum watching a film isn't really an activity that needs fuelling!

Sounds like a great way to get fat, sit down, do nothing, eat snacks.
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to eat at the cinema at all.
    Sitting on your bum watching a film isn't really an activity that needs fuelling!

Sounds like a great way to get fat, sit down, do nothing, eat snacks.

Some people I'm sure don't understand other people's 'desires' and 'needs'. When I was a kid, my dad totally did not allow us to buy any snacks in a cinema, seeing as how pricey it was. I STILL don't buy snacks in a cinema, I'd rather bring something - buuut if you DON'T bring anything and you have a hungry tummy, it can be hard to hear all those wrappers crinkling and smell the snacks!

Last time I went my boyfriend and I shared a whole bag of...pop crisps? Or something? Like a LARGE bag. And it was only like...200 cals for both of us. AMAZING! And before anyone is all, " Ah but you shouldn't be eating crisps if you're trying to lose weight" I'm takin' this one step at a time....if I cut out my crisps, I'm likely to hurt someone XD
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I thought about bringing my own popcorn, but that might be a bit awkward to sneak in.

Especially when the signs say "No outside food or drink." Most people don't think they signs are meant for them. :noway:

The day my cinema provides affordable snacks, I'll stop taking my own refreshments. Popcorn costs around a penny to make and is sold for a fiver... daylight robbery.

screw the sign, that's what purses are for! Fill it up!

lol I agree! when the cinima offers healthy snacks at a fair price I will stop sneaking stuff in. For now I'm transfering everything to my big purse :bigsmile:
  • goldianmom
    goldianmom Posts: 8
    Options
    Where do you get these from?
  • lucycassingena
    Options
    When I last went I took a packet of yogurt coated raisin and blueberry mix.. True the sugar is high but I didn't feel so bad afterwards lol
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    nuts & seeds
  • curveylady1
    Options
    I sneak my own in. I use a very large purse to hold it and my water bottle. Not only is it healthier it's cheaper.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like getting a kid's snack pack. I've never been hassled about getting one as an adult, and it gives me enough of the "experience" without blowing my calories for the day.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I sneak in a lollipop. I still have some candy cane tootsie roll ones from X-mas. 60 calories, lasts forever, and is still a special treat!
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Although the small popcorn at some theater's are reasonable, I would check first. My local Regal Cinemas has a small popcorn with 29g of fat even without butter!

Try raisins, berries, almonds/nuts, apples, granola bars and/or celery + peanut butter (get the to-go packs or just put in a small tupperware). I love being able to munch away without worrying about blowing my calories through the roof!
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I fill little snack ziplock bags with almonds or macadamia nuts and keep them in my purse. It gives me that "crunch" of popcorn without the guilty feeling afterward. :)
  • JDanKing
    JDanKing Posts: 13
    Options
    Eating well at the movies is like eating well out of a vending machine - extremely difficult and at times impossible.

If I think I'm going to want a snack, I will smuggle in a Nature Valley Protien Bar, specifically the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate. It best suits my dietary needs. And of course, diet soda there is the same as diet soda anywhere. Well, except for the cost!

A word of caution - some theaters will toss you out if they catch you with "smuggled in food".
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Popcorn without the butter... the butter is killing your calories. I go with my wife now and we'll get a medium popcorn and a large water. We share this. Usually we'll eat about 2/3 of the popcorn. However, I know this is coming so I do extra exercise and eat a little less..... because I like my popcorn with butter. I don't see but one movie a month maybe so.... but I can't imagine one a week would be too bad either if you at that. Just drink plenty of water because the popcorn is salty.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    We actually make our own popcorn at home, let it cool, then bag it up in ziplocs and put in a purse. Then, we will treat ourselves to a soda or a lemonade there. It feels totally decadent while staying relatively within our goals. I know it's probably against policy, but we've never had a problem. And honestly.... if the theater throws me out after purchasing a $15 ticket and a $6 soda for a few kernels of corn, I'll go next door. BRING IT!

On rare occasion, we also might get an unsalted pretzel to share. If you only eat half, I believe for most theaters its under 300 calories.... sans cheese sauce.

It IS a habit, but it's one we enjoy - and as long as it fits into your food goals for the week, I don't see an issue with it.
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    nuts, protein bars(or gronola bars in general), pretzel sticks (in a sandwich bag), dried fruit, gold fish crackers (not sure you have them there), animal crackers

yum to all of that!!! plus yogurt covered raisins! sooo good! also apple slices, 100 calorie chips ahoy packs for the sweet tooth, and seedless grapes are all favorites! Plus at Kroger (here anyway) they have carrot chips that is basically carrots sliced into thin chips!! its awesome, makes me think i am eating chips! =)