"Healthy" cinema snacks??

Options

Replies

• calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    there really is nothing "healthy" at the movies, but things like Jr. Mints and Sour Patch kids aren't high in fat...but are loaded with sugar and calories! i like to sneak stuff in. usually i bring a couple 100 calories packs and some water.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I pack snacks and bring them with me. I make a mini bag of popcorn at home, and sometimes I pack some fruits as well. Or, you can bring some sugar free jello... Just sneak it in...lol
  • MiniBee91
    MiniBee91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Metcalfe's Skinny Topcorn :)

Chocolate is best. Mmmmmmm
  • Kona54
    Kona54 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    nothing at cinema is good for you..even small popcorn is loaded with salt..bring some almonds..no salt..i cut up some apple for the crunky..
  • Laurennnnx3
    Options
    bring some carrot sticks:smile:
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My mom and I always used to sneak in snacks in her purse when my sister and I were younger. She would always bring popcorn from home and a bag of m&ms to share. This was when we were little girls. My sis and I always wanted a treat, so I'm sure this saved her a ton.
    I might have to start sneaking in my own popcorn again. Sure beats whatever is in the popcorn there.
  • LetsDoThisTrish
    Options
    I always sneak baby carrots in with me because they're healthy and I still get that "crunch" I'm craving while watching a movie. :0) Depending on what I'm craving, sweet or savory, I add 5 oz carrots in a Ziploc bag and either pour a Tbsp of Ranch or add a Tbsp of melted Peanut Butter with a dash of cinnamon.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Short of bringing carrot sticks to the cinema, does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably healthy (or at least less bad) snacks to buy at the cinema (am in the UK) or suggestions for things to bring in?

You usually buy snacks from a UK cinema? You must earn more money than I do, then! Even a small popcorn seems to break the bank these days.

I like to take something from home and usually go for a treat rather than fruit, since I don't go every week. If you go for a lower-calorie option (bag of crisps under 100 cals like Pom Bear or Quavers/Skips, or chocolate biscuit bar like a Penguin which is around 100 cals) then you don't feel as though you're depriving yourself because it's still a tasty treat, but it doesn't break the calorie bank. If you're looking for something more to snack on throughout a film, try making your own popcorn at home because it doesn't have the sugar that Butterkist or cinema popcorn does. If you like salted popcorn, that's lower in calories as well.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Here's my approach - you're only there 2 hours....do you really need to eat? Bring a bottle of water and a pack of gum - you'll survive. :wink: Not trying to sounds jerky, guess it kinda does, but really, why are we programmed that we need to eat while watching a movie? Some healthy snacks that are easy to sneak in - almonds, cut up an apple or some kind of fruit, break up a breakfast bar - or combine all 3 and bring it in a little sandwich bag.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    another vote for the boots shapers stuff, although watch the sugar in the rice pudding! that was a shock yesterday in work but SO worth it, its amazing. and you get advantage card points which you can save up for a treat when you hit a goal :D
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I thought about bringing my own popcorn, but that might be a bit awkward to sneak in.

Especially when the signs say "No outside food or drink." Most people don't think they signs are meant for them. :noway:
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    100cal popcorn from home? Or I love the yogurt nut bars, they are160 cal
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll now feel better about going to the cinema and not trying to steal the boyfriend's popcorn. I love the idea of cherrios, carrot sticks, Boots stuff, fruit, etc.

I know it's only two hours and I wouldn't normally be bothered about that, but if the person sitting next to me is eating popcorn and snacks, it makes me want some, so I think I'll start bringing my own healthy options.

Thanks everyone!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Check out this super easy recipe for Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas. So delicious, healthy, and a perfect sub for popcorn at the movies: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/09/02/snack-attack-2-chili-lime-roasted-chickpeas/

These look awesome - thanks for sharing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I purposely either exercise more and/or skip breakfast so that I can have whatever I want to eat at the movies. Usually I'll have a hot dog, nachos with cheese and a drink to enjoy along with the movie. I don't go often, but when I do, it's for the fun.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I thought about bringing my own popcorn, but that might be a bit awkward to sneak in.

Especially when the signs say "No outside food or drink." Most people don't think they signs are meant for them. :noway:

The day my cinema provides affordable snacks, I'll stop taking my own refreshments. Popcorn costs around a penny to make and is sold for a fiver... daylight robbery.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Those look really good (the chick peas) !
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options

The day my cinema provides affordable snacks, I'll stop taking my own refreshments. Popcorn costs around a penny to make and is sold for a fiver... daylight robbery.

screw the sign, that's what purses are for! Fill it up!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I bring stuff to the theater with me. LOL

Healthy or not.. i'm not paying cinema prices!
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    im going to the cinema tomorrow, and i plan on taking beek jerky, its chewy so it keeps your mouth occupied plus its not carb laden 9yes abit of sugar in the seasoning)
    only 75 cals for a small packet.