Why do most people eat egg whites?

Options
Just out of curiosity.. I don't know much about eating healthy but I do enjoy eating the whole egg on the morning. I see a lot of people just eat the whites. Is the yolk somewhat bad for you?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :drinker: For me It's Lower calories and No Cholesterol. I can eat a large veggie omelet when I am hungry an have little calories left.
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity.. I don't know much about eating healthy but I do enjoy eating the whole egg on the morning. I see a lot of people just eat the whites. Is the yolk somewhat bad for you?

If I have an omelette, I have 1 egg plus 2 egg whites. It makes the calories much lower for me :-) x
  • bikiniready201
    Options
    for me its the convenience, i heat them up in the microwave @ work every morning and find them easier b/c they come in a containter. Also, it goes back to when I did WW, it was a 0 point food rather than 2 pts for a regular egg. Speaking of which....this morning I fried a reg egg with a piece of toast and was almost feeling guilty...but i told myself that eggs are protein and not a 'bad food', the yolk is the best part IMO!
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I have an omelette, I have 1 egg plus 2 egg whites. It makes the calories much lower for me :-) x

I do the same with omelettes or scrambles. Less calories, less fat/cholesterol... just as filling (not as tasty though). I love yolk!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I do the same with omelettes or scrambles. Less calories, less fat/cholesterol... just as filling (not as tasty though). I love yolk!

Whack a load of pepper in - will liven it right up :D x
  • silverphonasa
    Options
    The egg whites itself, is inherently lean. The yolks is where all the fat content is and besides protein, most of the nutrients. Such as some omega 3's. I like to make an omelet with 3 egg whites & 1 whole egg with the yolk.
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    I eat them because eggs have a lot less cholesterol when you remove the yolk. The calories are also much less, but for me it is more about the cholesterol because I have family history of heart disease. Plus, if you cook them in the right way, they are delicious! :smile:
  • mollynz
    mollynz Posts: 3 Member
    Options

This doesn't seem quite right to me. I had two medium eggs for breakfast and according to MFP's nutritional data, that gave me 140 calories and 8g of fat overall. I am definitely a whole egg girl! Two eggs keep me full for ages.
  • delilah47
    Options

This doesn't seem quite right to me. I had two medium eggs for breakfast and according to MFP's nutritional data, that gave me 140 calories and 8g of fat overall. I am definitely a whole egg girl! Two eggs keep me full for ages.

you know, i double-checked and you are closer than i am. got out the handy conversion calculator and a 243g egg would be over a half pound lol i looked on my carton of AA large eggs and it says a 58g egg has 80 calories with 5 grams of fat. heck, i may even enjoy a whole egg occasionally! thanks for setting me straight. i have found that website useful, but i guess one does have to watch portion size there. well, maybe they were referring to an ostrich egg? :huh:

ps: love the kitty pic.. reminds me of my beloved damien that i had for over 20 years
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Check out this site.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
  • phytgirl
    Options
    243 grams of whole eggs is almost 5 large eggs.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

1 cup of eggs is 347 calories, 1 egg is only 71 calories on that site.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Calories...... I love eggs and could easily eat 6. I may still eat 6 but just the whites. only 17 calories each. egg white omletes with shredded cheese is a great breakfast full of protien. I used to have chickens and their eggs were like drops from heaven, store bought are rather anemic, but they will do
  • grinch031
    Options
    Well there was this belief that dietary cholesterol is bad for you, but it has been disproven. Although the myth still perpetuates throughout the media.
  • delilah47
    Options
    yep.. look back. i was wrong, looking at an unreasonable serving size
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    To the OP. I don't know. I suppose because it is a way of shaving off some calories. But there is definitely more to health than weight and there is more to nutrition than macronutrients. The YOLK is full of all sorts of micronutrients: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html. (<--- Check out the big chart of micronutrient values.) This is especially true when these yolks come from the eggs of chickens that are allowed to peck around for bugs on pasture in the sun instead of being fed grain and largely confined indoors.

I eat them! At least two a day. I wish there was a way for people to send them my way!
  • bajiggity_jane
    Options
    Personally, I just do not like egg yolks unless they are scrambled. Hard boiled egg whites are one of my favorites snacks. But I did hear there are some health benefits to the yolk, but just that they come with more cholesterol.
  • grinch031
    Options
    To the OP. I don't know. I suppose because it is a way of shaving off some calories. But there is definitely more to health than weight and there is more to nutrition than macronutrients. The YOLK is full of all sorts of micronutrients: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html. (<--- Check out the big chart of micronutrient values.) This is especially true when these yolks come from the eggs of chickens that are allowed to peck around for bugs on pasture in the sun instead of being fed grain and largely confined indoors.

I eat them! At least two a day. I wish there was a way for people to send them my way!

I agree. Whole eggs are more healthy than egg whites alone, so the added calories are well worth it.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the yolk. As a kid, I only ate the whites of the eggs because of the taste. The smell of the yolks made me gag and feel sick to my stomach. However, as an adult, I can occassionally eat a fried egg or boiled egg, but I still primarily eat the whites for both taste and protein now.