Why do most people eat egg whites?

Options

Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg if I just had to have the whites I wouldn't bother eating eggs! Also I really can't do the whole separating thing and they don't sell cartons of egg whites here.
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey what do you guys do with the egg yolks if you only eat egg whites? just wondering :D
    I usually eat 1 whole egg with whole weat toast for breakfast. The only time i hate and can't eat an egg yolk is when its hard boiled. ugh its all crumbly and the texture and taste is yuck. i like my yolks runny, thank you :D
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat

these numbers NOT EVEN close to reality

Is that an ostrich egg? 243g is ONE egg weight?
    i already said that.. and yes the info is correct for the serving size (if you like a half pound egg).. those of you still posting on this ... i already noticed my error and have corrected it... way back there! sheeeeese!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The yolk is high in calories but it's still yummy. What I typically do for my scrambled eggs, I take one whole egg and one egg white (if you want better proportions you could to two egg whites) so I still get some yolk, but it's less calories than two whole eggs. :)

Red: But the yellow part is the baby bird. That's the part I wanna eat.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    the yolk holds the cholesterol so i skip it but not always! i do have it on breakfast pizza when i make it
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD!!! GO ahead and eat the egg the way it comes from nature. The less processed and separated your food is, the better off you are. Eggs are real food. Not like all those shakes and frozen food they add preservatives to and claim they are better for you. The healthiest countries on the planet are the places where they don't have grocery stores full of pre made crap.

If you want to talk about the studies claiming which foods are bad for you, do a little research and see all the food that were bad for you 25 years ago and the studies that have overturned those findings since then. No natural food is evil. Outside of allergies, you can eat what you want as long as you exercise some portion control and stay reasonable.

i don't consider an egg white processed food, especially when i am doing the processing. i agree with you about new findings for what's good for you and what's not 25 years ago... also, 25 years ago it was thought dairy products were generally good for you.. now the tide is turning. and think about it; why would a healthy person need baby food from another mammal? milk is meant to give baby cows the nutrition they need to grow up and produce more milk for more baby cows.

i could also ask the question: why am i eating an unborn baby which is what eggs are... ewww!!:huh:
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Egg whites = PROTEEEIINN!! My quest for protein is all consuming! :D

I do eat the whole egg though. I just like the yolk a lot so if I'm having eggs I'll work the calories into my limits.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs because they're much cheaper than the egg whites and egg substitutes in the carton. Gotta watch my pennies. Besides, I like the yolks more than the whites.

Now, if they ever came out with egg yolks in a carton, without the whites, I might buy that. lol
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Saves calories or I can have more of them and more convenient for me to buy a carton of egg beaters than a dozen eggs that I probably won't eat before they expire. Plus eggbeaters freeze easier (eggs to do you just have to shell them, mix them add salt (ick)).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I hate egg whites.

I just eat eggs with the yolk in smaller portions instead of giving up the yolks.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Because there's less calories per gram in it.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Plus I find whole eggs are more versatile. I can boil a couple eggs, chop them up, and serve them on top of a salad for extra protein, for example. Can't do that with the egg whites from a carton.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I hate egg whites.

I just eat eggs with the yolk in smaller portions instead of giving up the yolks.

you may well be the most sensible person on this site
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity.. I don't know much about eating healthy but I do enjoy eating the whole egg on the morning. I see a lot of people just eat the whites. Is the yolk somewhat bad for you?

If I have an omelette, I have 1 egg plus 2 egg whites. It makes the calories much lower for me :-) x

I do this too!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't like the yolk, plus egg whites are full of protein and I get to load them up with all kinds of yummy things! Avocado and egg whites on a whole wheat english muffins is a staple around here. I posted this recipe for an egg white quiche and it was amazing!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/469524-ham-spinach-asparagus-and-tomato-quiche
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a dozen egg whites in a sitting before. I've also eaten half a dozen eggs in a sitting. It's not as if someone can't eat both of these things.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Red: But the yellow part is the baby bird. That's the part I wanna eat.
    Far from "always" being the case. My hens lay eggs just fine without roosters around, they produce roughly an egg per day each whether there is a rooster around to "complete" it or not. Silly city and not wanting roosters but allow the neighbours dogs to bark all night long.

Besides the cholesterol thing is so 80's of an attitude:) 90's was low fat, 00's has been low carb and I'm not sure in the 10's as yet which one we're running with though there's still tons of no-fat product around.

ETA - thanks for deciding what lunch was, 3 large egg omelet with a load of cayenne pepper and red chili pepper flakes and an ounce of cheese.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. 2 scrambled with non fat cooking spray=140 calories. Not bad, and my body does not absorb protein well, so I eat the whole egg, all the nutrients are in the yolk. I often add a TB of cheese to the eggs for a tad extra protein.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, over easy nice and runny :tongue: