Why do most people eat egg whites?

Options

Replies

• m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs every morning. The yolk is NOT bad for you. I've had TWO medical doctors recently tell me that the yolk from a free-range egg is very healthy and gives you the good fats (Omega 3's) that your body needs and also the hype about the cholesterol is just that--hype! We have been given a lot of bad dietary information that has been out there for a long while. Once it gets into the mindset, it's very hard to change.

One thing I was told about the yolk though that I didn't know. It needs to be runny to get the most nutritional benefit (over easy, sunny side up, poached or soft-boiled). Once the yolk is cooked, it loses a lot of the nutritional benefit. I realize some people just can't eat them that way, but I eat mine as runny as possible!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Some days I like only an egg-white omelette (I save the yolks for making hollandaise at that time or I freeze them for future use)

Other days Ill have a whole egg-style omelette.

Nothing gets thrown out of my house.... no waste... and its all 100% real food - no junk!
  • rufwil
    rufwil Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my eggs hard boiled as a side to a bowl of cereal. You are missing most of the nutrients and protein without the yolk, which is why most people do whites mixed with a whole egg. It mostly depends on how much you want to eat, if the egg is the main dish, and of course, personal preference. Egg substitutes are another option and have nutrients added; again, it depends on what you prefer. I would try each way to decide what you like and which works with your menu for the entire day. The main decision is usually what you would like to sacrifice - higher calories, fat, and proteins vs lower calories, fat, and protein vs the taste of each method (but we do use spices and hot sauces for a reason). Good luck.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i eat the whole thing. i wish it was lower in fat but idc. i cant eat just the whites unless its boiled.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For me it's all about the calories, I love whole eggs and still eat them if I feel like it, but if I'm looking for a high protein/low cal filling breakfast then I choose egg whites.
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lower calories, lower cholesterol, yummier taste.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    To the OP. I don't know. I suppose because it is a way of shaving off some calories. But there is definitely more to health than weight and there is more to nutrition than macronutrients. The YOLK is full of all sorts of micronutrients: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html. (<--- Check out the big chart of micronutrient values.) This is especially true when these yolks come from the eggs of chickens that are allowed to peck around for bugs on pasture in the sun instead of being fed grain and largely confined indoors.

I eat them! At least two a day. I wish there was a way for people to send them my way!

This!! Thanks for posting -- eggs got a bad rep for a long time. They just want to be loved. So.... I love them. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Lower calories, lower cholesterol, yummier taste.

OMG! really on the yummier taste? no way Jose.
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat

This doesn't seem quite right to me. I had two medium eggs for breakfast and according to MFP's nutritional data, that gave me 140 calories and 8g of fat overall. I am definitely a whole egg girl! Two eggs keep me full for ages.

you know, i double-checked and you are closer than i am. got out the handy conversion calculator and a 243g egg would be over a half pound lol i looked on my carton of AA large eggs and it says a 58g egg has 80 calories with 5 grams of fat. heck, i may even enjoy a whole egg occasionally! thanks for setting me straight. i have found that website useful, but i guess one does have to watch portion size there. well, maybe they were referring to an ostrich egg? :huh:

ps: love the kitty pic.. reminds me of my beloved damien that i had for over 20 years

LOL, I was thinking the same. I eat a whole egg every morning. It is fantastic, and only 70 calories.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I dislike the taste and texture of the yolk. It is just an added bonus that the yolk also has most of the calories. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

these numbers NOT EVEN close to reality
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

these numbers NOT EVEN close to reality

Is that an ostrich egg? 243g is ONE egg weight?
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I can't eat just the whites. I think that's just me but they gross me out. I can't even eat fried eggs or scrambled eggs with white in them. I wish I could though. I don't think they taste bad I just can't get over the gross factor (for me).
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    for me its the convenience, i heat them up in the microwave @ work every morning and find them easier b/c they come in a containter. Also, it goes back to when I did WW, it was a 0 point food rather than 2 pts for a regular egg. Speaking of which....this morning I fried a reg egg with a piece of toast and was almost feeling guilty...but i told myself that eggs are protein and not a 'bad food', the yolk is the best part IMO!

Red: But the yellow part is the baby bird. That's the part I wanna eat.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume food eater...so if I can get more volume from the foods by switching a bit, I'll do it. Anyway, the texture is the same and I have always used probably too much pepper on eggs, so for me it tastes the same..and easier because it pours from a carton.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat the egg whites because yes, they are much lower in calories. They still contain some protein, but I have recently switched to eating whole eggs to get the rest of the protein a full egg has to offer. But not only that, they contain a TON of nutrients that actually manage to keep me energized and full for MUCH longer. It's great to have eggs especially on days I am working out. I was still skeptical the first time I had tried my omelet with two large eggs rather than just a bunch of egg whites- but it really did make a noticeable difference to my productivity and energy levels at work in the morning.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Check out the table comparing the nutrients between eating the yolk vs just the whites. It's almost as if you're getting a multi-vitamin! Definitely worth the extra fat (if you're watching that) in my opinion.
  • mlmcquinn
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD!!! GO ahead and eat the egg the way it comes from nature. The less processed and separated your food is, the better off you are. Eggs are real food. Not like all those shakes and frozen food they add preservatives to and claim they are better for you. The healthiest countries on the planet are the places where they don't have grocery stores full of pre made crap.

If you want to talk about the studies claiming which foods are bad for you, do a little research and see all the food that were bad for you 25 years ago and the studies that have overturned those findings since then. No natural food is evil. Outside of allergies, you can eat what you want as long as you exercise some portion control and stay reasonable.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The yolk is high in calories but it's still yummy. What I typically do for my scrambled eggs, I take one whole egg and one egg white (if you want better proportions you could to two egg whites) so I still get some yolk, but it's less calories than two whole eggs. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    for me it's just because I hate the taste of egg yolk unless its in a deviled egg.

deviled eggs rule... plain and simple! LOL!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The only part of the egg I like is the yolk. lol.

I don't eat the whites of a poached egg. They're fine in an omelette/scrambled. But would never not use the yolk! The yolk has healthy fats in it anyway, and lots of protein.