Realizing your S.O. was the 'one' :)

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I knew the minute I met him. I knew he watched me walk home from school every day...( he worked in a store a block from my house and I had to walk by everyday on my way home from cheer practice) He was two years older than me.
    One day, being the super outspoken person that I am, I marched right in the store and introduced myself. He turned beat red, he had the most beautiful blue eyes and he said yes, ma'am to a lady he was helping in the store.....I knew that moment that he would be mine.
    We started dating in october. I was not "old enough" to date according to my parents...I was 15 he was 17 so he would come to my house every Friday night and suffer through movies with me and my parents and all my siblings! FINALLY the 16th birthday came...in JUNE! and we had our first date after being together for 8 months!
    We've been together every single day since October 1994. We were married in October of 1998 4 years to the day that he asked me to be his girlfriend. I think we have only spent about 14 nights apart from each other total in the past 13 years of marriage. Wherever he goes, I go. He is my everything.

That is definite commitment! So sweet!
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My story with my husband spans 20 years. I had a huge crush on him when I was 18 years old, and he was 23. We had mutual friends and would see each other often, and one night we kissed. Shortly after this, however, he moved to Colorado and I went back to college. I often wondered about what had happened to him, but life goes on....fast forward 12 years, and I move back to my hometown with my young daughter Lily. Being a single parent, and coming out of a bad relationship, I really have no desire to date but my best friend convinces me to just look on an on-line dating site. Normally I only looked at profiles that had pictures of the guy, but there was one profile that really drew me in....no picture, but I loved what he wrote. So, we started exchanging emails, but no full names given. Finally we decide to email a picture, and you guessed it.....it was the guy I had a huge crush on 12 years earlier! We couldn't believe that we had reconnected this way...I think from the moment I saw his picture appear on my screen, I knew he was the one I was meant to be with. But we took things slow and formed a really solid friendship first. Been together now 8 years, married for five. :)

Wonderful story!!!

I was friends with the cutest guy in school who dated the cheerleader types. I realized when one of them broke up with him and he was hurt that I became very protective of him. I liked him more than I thought! We were friends until he moved away in 10th grade. I loved him secretly and finally told him how I felt before the move. We were kids, he was far away. We both moved on, but I never forgot my first real love. We both married other people, had kids, divorced and through a mutual friend found each other when were 39. Been married almost 19 years now and share our grandchildren. He is my best friend and my love!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Single! :) But, hopefully I can answer this someday!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Idk I just knew... We started dating when I was 18 and he was 23. 6 months later, right after I turned 19, I turned to him and said "so when are you gonna ask me to marry you?" lol. So he did and we got married a year later, a month after I turned 20. This June we will be married 8 years. We have an almost 7 year old and a 4 year old. We have been thru a lot in almost 10 years and Im still as in love with him as I was in 2002 when we met :)
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My husband and i knew each other through out high school, and after school we stayed in touch on and off. Finally 4 years later, the time was right in both our lives, and he decided to come visit me in Seattle. I went to pick him up, and when i saw him coming up the escaltor (sp?) , the feeling i had was too much to bare, i hid behind a large pillar to catch my breath. the only thing that popped in my head at that moment was "your in trouble now!" lol. I knew at that moment that i was going to spend the rest of my life with him, and 5 months later he asked me to marry him. We married almost exactly a year after we reconnected and found out we were having a daughter a month after that...lol. He is my EVERYTHING!!
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    To try to make a long story short. I met my husband through his girlfriend, who I worked with. They broke up, he joined the Air Force and I didnt see him for a few years. I received one of those recipe chain emails, I noticed his sisters email address and asked her if she wouldnt mind passing along my email address to him. We sent a few 'hows it going!?" emails and when he was coming home for Christmas, he asked if I wanted to go for coffee. Well, we went for coffee and something was different. We both new when we went for coffee that night- I cant explain it, you just know, without a doubt. We did the long distance thing for two years, I moved away to be with him and got married 4 years later. That and I knew he was definatley the one when I met his mom.....she HATES me lol
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've only been dating my boyfriend for about three months but within the first two months, I told him that I loved him. I said that I should say what I feel so I did but that he shouldn't tell me he loved me until he was sure. We spent one day in Lowes just walking around inadvertently talking about what OUR kitchen would look like. Later that day we were laying in bed and were going to roll over and go to sleep and I kissed him and told him that I loved him and he said it back! :smooched: I started crying and we ended up staying awake talking all night :)

I'm going to marry that boy one day, I just know it. :heart:
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I knew on our very first real date, and I told my father.
    He just grunted something.
    At age 16, we were engaged.
    31 years later, here we are, 5 kids, a life and still knockin; boots.

Not Bad:smooched:

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I met my husband and that night we actually joked about getting married, but I really felt a quick connection to him. I was only 17 and he was 6 years older. We got married 5 years later.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I knew a after a few months of dating. :heart:
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My bf and I thought we knew it when we first met when we were 14. I wasn't sure, and either was he. So after a few years apart and experiencing life without eachother....we really know it now!!

Even 3 years and thousands of kilometers distance couldn't keep us apart. I think going out and experiencing life was good for both of us, now we both know for sure that we are "the one" for each other. I don't regret a thing.

:-)

ps. I'm nearly 24
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'll add myself to the "just knew" list.... I met him when I was 13 and he was 18, developed a huge (unreciprocated) crush... he went away to college, then two years later I was working in a bakery and he was a delivery guy for the store, completely re-smitten (again unreciprocated)... a year later we were in the town orchestra together but he had no interest in a 16-year-old and considering he was 21, that was probably a good thing. LOL 17 years old, final year of high school, he decided to bite the bullet and we became an item (well-supervised by my parents for a good while).... and well, the rest is history. :smile: Married 11 years now, two kids, one retail small business, and now one military-enlistment later... still going strong. :smile:

I tease him about being a cradle-robber sometimes, and how I've now been with him for half my life (not to mention my entire adult life).
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always had this special feeling with him-- but my 16-year-old self didn't want to believe he was the one. I mean-- I was 16!

The MOMENT came shortly after my 20th birthday. My grandmother died suddenly while I was out of town. I flew in the next day and he offered to pick me up from the airport since a. he hadn't seen me in a month (I went to see my father for the summer.) and b. my mother and her family were busy with funeral arrangements.

When I saw him at the airport--I cried. An ugly, loud, snotty, nasty cry. I was so distraught that I fell to my knees and bawled my eyes out-- right there in the airport. Instead of asking me to compose myself or trying to rush me up from the floor--- he sat down and held me. He rocked back and forth, kissed my forehead, and allowed me to let it all out-- in public. He was not embarrassed by the people watching us and he was not embarrassed to walk me out of the airport with a swollen, blotchy, mascara-stained face.

I realized then he was one of the good guys and he was MINE.

We married in 2005, have two sons, and will be celebrating our 14th year together this August.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We met at work it was a month before he asked me out. I was 18. For me it was within a few days of our first date. He didn't kiss me on our first date or second ( I was starting to wonder if something was wrong with me) Then the next day he grabbed me at work pulled me into the stockroom and kissed me. He said I was dieing to do that for so long. I knew then he was the one, It was tough convince for my mom because he is 10 years older then me. But 25 years together and 23 years married, 2 kids (one who is a legal adult 18 now and the other 13)
    We are still head over heels for each other. He is my everything and I can't imagine my life without him.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I knew a long time ago. She still doesn't know, I think.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I didn't trust anyone and it took me a long time to know he was "the one". I married him with the thought that if it didn't work out I just wasn't going to get married again. It was after I learned to trust him (and it took a few years) that I realized there is no other for me. Some people may have the heavens open and glorious light shine down while the angels sing a hallelujah chorus but for some of us we it slowly takes time to build. Once day I realized that without him all the color would be gone from my life and I'd be missing a part (a HUGE part!) of me.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I met my 6'7 blue eyed beauty while I was dispensing meds for my workplace...

He poked his head around the doorway....done deal.

Engaged.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I started dating my now husband gosh almost 10 years ago in late 2002. I was coming out of a bad breakup a few months prior, so I was somewhat guarded with my emotions. He was super nice - and just adored me. He made me feel so special. He would always tell me how he loved my pretty eyes and my smile- and he'd even ask me to smile for him b/c he liked my cynnabun (pet name) smile so much. Then on first Valentine's day (after dating 4 or 5 months) he got me the most perfect card. It said (I still have it) "The Lord said "let there be light," and created your smile....He said "let there be stars", and they twinkled in your eyes...Then he said "Let there be love", and created your heart...And I say "Amen!" Happy Valentine's Day." It was so touching it made me cry. I was almost embarrassed b/c I had never showed that kind of emotion in front of him before. But that's when I knew he was more than just a temporary thing and it didn't take long to see that he was the one. We were engaged after 2 years of dating - but I think we started the marriage talk about a year into it.
    Hey - thanks for your post. I enjoyed my little walk down memory lane :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I started dating my now husband gosh almost 10 years ago in late 2002. I was coming out of a bad breakup a few months prior, so I was somewhat guarded with my emotions. He was super nice - and just adored me. He made me feel so special. He would always tell me how he loved my pretty eyes and my smile- and he'd even ask me to smile for him b/c he liked my cynnabun (pet name) smile so much. Then on first Valentine's day (after dating 4 or 5 months) he got me the most perfect card. It said (I still have it) "The Lord said "let there be light," and created your smile....He said "let there be stars", and they twinkled in your eyes...Then he said "Let there be love", and created your heart...And I say "Amen!" Happy Valentine's Day." It was so touching it made me cry. I was almost embarrassed b/c I had never showed that kind of emotion in front of him before. But that's when I knew he was more than just a temporary thing and it didn't take long to see that he was the one. We were engaged after 2 years of dating - but I think we started the marriage talk about a year into it.
    Hey - thanks for your post. I enjoyed my little walk down memory lane :)

I enjoyed reading your story! :)
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 16- he had already graduated from high school. We met on the basketball court, he was interested I wasn't-I was waiting to find a guy when I was in college. So he stuck around and became my best friend- we had (and still have!) so many similar interests. When I went away on a family vacation my junior year of high school I began to realize he meant more to me than a friend! We got engaged my sophomore year of college and got married two weeks after I graduated. I guess he knew right from the beginning! (We've been married 17 wonderful years!)