Gym or DVD?

Options
Which do you perfer and why?

I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and get a gym membership for one year or just invest in more DVDs and gym equipment.

Which has worked better with you and why also?

:)

Replies

• Lina300
    Lina300 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you been using your DVDs? I know I personally need someone there to push me. I started a boot camp style work out with ropes and medicine balls and crazy exercises that kill me and I know I work a lot harder when my trainer is right there pushing me.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So far, yes I have been but it has been only a month. I am worried that I will lose motivation after I get close to my goal weight and just quit working out or become lazy again.

The gym is also helpful because it is all womens gym and has a daycare.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym since there are too many distractions at home. I also prefer using the free weights and other equipment that I can't afford to own.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I do the DVDs at home. It's much easier than trying to work out a schedule where someone can watch my kids while I head to the gym. My husband just distracts them long enough for me to workout or they workout with me. Nothing cuter than watching my 1 year old stretch with Tony Little :smile:
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I work out at home in my basement. Over the years I have acquired several pieces of equipment and many DVD's. I figure that since I'm not paying for a membership or classes that I can get a few new DVD's every year and/or maybe some new piece of equipment to keep it interesting. I think I should charge my neighbors for access! No, I decided long ago that if I'm going to make exercise a regular thing that it's going to be first thing in the morning or life gets in the way, and I don't want to have to get up even earlier so that I can get to a gym. I also like how peaceful it is, and I don't have to worry about people watching what I am doing. It's me time. I told my son when he came down one morning that he had to be quiet or he was out of there. Needless to say, he had to go upstairs. :)
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I push myself harder @ home!!
  • hmseals
    hmseals Posts: 30
    Options
    I go to the gym right after work four nights a week and then on Saturday mornings. If I don't and come home instead more than likely I won't workout at all. I do have several dvd's, but I'm not very motivated to do them at home. That is why going to the gym right after work works best for me.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    dvd's never do it for me. I am so focused on form and they go so fast that I never get a decent workout. Gym for me at home or out of the house.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    The gym for me.
    I can accomplish a lot more there. My gym also offers a wide variety of classes that I like to take.
    And I am more likely to make excuses to not exercise at home.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I like working out at home. I have a treadmill, elliptical, bike and weights and of course my dvd's. I switch things up when i get board.

I feel awkward at the gym and would find excuses not to go.
  • hmcminton
    hmcminton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love the flexibility of having both options available to me - if i need a quick 30 minute workout, i do a DVD workout (love Jillian Michaels), but when i have a couple of hours, love to hit the gym and get in great cardio and strength training. having different choices keeps me from getting bored, plus when i am sick instead of spreading germs at the gym, i just stay home but can still get in a fantastic workout.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home, mostly because i live in a small town and going to the gym results in seeing every single person I know but never want to be forced to talk to.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    I prefer the gym because, when I am at home, I am way too lazy to do the exercise videos... I used to hate working out but ever since I started going to the gym on a regular basis, I can honestly say that I love it!!
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do both. I get bored easily. I love the cardio machines at the gym and I love switching my Dvds up at home. The variety keeps me going.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    gym but its too hard with my kiddos lol so home.. although i am finding more and more home videos that i feel really help me :-)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    gym. Or your own home gym.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home because I know if I have to get dressed, leave, THEN workout it won't happen...I prefer to be able to just wear whatever I like (undies and tank if that is what I am wearing etc) and not have to go anywhere to exercise. In the summer I use the basement because we dont have AC.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    they both have advantages. I like the ease of working out at home, but I like the classes and ppl interaction at the gym. So my journey has been a combo of both
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with Cathe Friedrich videos. It's much more convenient since there is not a gym near my house.
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    DVD and the open road. I had gym memberships for years. I get tired of all the people, first of all--machines and weights in constant use so that a routine that ought to take 30 minutes to complete winds up being an hour. Second, the machines--even if there was a treadmill open every time I wanted it, they 1) break down, 2) squeak, and 3) worst of all, even in peak operating condition, THEY GO NOWHERE and face TV screens. Sorry, you wanna watch TV cuz you "need something to distract my mind from exercise," then don't even exercise, just stay home. On the other hand, all other complaints aside, it's nice to have all those free weights.

With DVDs, I have to get specific weights, but a lot of DVDs offer some tremendous, weights-free exercise that kick my *kitten* harder than any free weights ever have! A 30-minute routine actually MEANS a 30-minute routine in my living room. Saves gas--no driving to the gym and back. Saves time--shorter workout, and no driving to the gym and back AGAIN! And since you ought to get in a good walk or run a few times a week, it's a good motivator to GET OUTSIDE. Exercising outside helps boost your immune system for the specific season of weather, as well as just in general. And there's nothing like soaking up Vitamin D from the sun, as well as a very nice tan! Try getting that from the fluorescent lights in the gym--yuck.

So, after years of exercise experience--ranging from the Marine Corps to my own time--I say: DVDs and outside. Lost almost 30 pounds recently with just DVDs and outside. Gyms are WAY overrated. I probably won't use a gym again until it's a fully functioning gym in my basement and I'm the only member.