Girls- Longest Gone W/O TOM?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I was just wondering if any of you experienced missed periods for long increments of time. I haven't had one in almost 6 months, and I finally got pushed to make a doctor appt. this Friday. I read and researched about it, and I am almost positive it's due to losing over 20 lbs. since that same time, and training for a half marathon.

Just curious to see if this has happened to anyone else, and what you did. I don't miss the cramps, cravings, or bloating, but what worried me was reading how missed periods for long amounts of time can even cause injuries, stress fractures, etc., which is primarily why I decided to make the appointment.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yes Ive been 6 months w/o a period as well but that was due to the depo (birth control) shot.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    once in a while mine skips a month.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was 18 before I finally had enough and took myself to Planned Parenthood and got on the pill. My former family physician was absolutely awful for follow ups and making sure that each patient was well taken care for. I never had a period until then.

About two years ago, I ran out of pills, and my hubby and I decided to see how long it would take for me to have a period. 6 months later, nothing. So, I called my ob/gyn, and we got back on the pill. She did a blood test, and found that I have PCOS, and that's why I'm not having a cycle. I ovulate just like a normal woman, I just can't have a period without the pill.

ETA: My mom was 21 before her first cycle, and my grandmother was VERY irregular, so this runs in the family unfortunately!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I went 9 months without AF but this is bc I have PCOS.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Mine have always been irregular due to PCOS - but at my worst I went 2 years w/o one. Now (since losing a ton of weight) they are better but still not perfect. I skip here and there. My advice -See a doc.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Surefire way to get your period: wear khakis or white pants.

Guaranteed. :grumble:
  • amusco_rn
    Options
    Yes, this is relatively common with weight loss and marathon training. Definitely still a valid reason to check in with the doc though. You might be losing too quickly, have a hormone imbalance from the training, etc. Wishing you health!
  • Elizabeth2point0
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic, I'd say you're probably getting dangerously low in weight. Compound that with working out a lot, and it's probably a good thing to speak to your doctor.

Also, pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a book that I firmly believe every woman should read at least once and that we should teach it with sex education all through middle and high school. It's important to understand how your body works and how it is affected by the stresses we put on it.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've gone a year without one - but I did it by skipping my placebo week and going straight into my next active pill pack. I had breakthrough bleeding at 14 months. Then I went back to having a period every 3 months...

right now, I'm breakthrough bleeding for 5 days - I'm so tempted to just stop my pills and let the *kitten* have its way.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Due to my PCOS I've gone as long as 3 years without a period. and as long as two years having one, non-stop.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I tried a diet pill once... didn't get one for over three months.

It's probably best to go get checked out as some have said. Extreme weight loss can cause missed ones as does low body fat I believe (I could be wrong though).
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Word.
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    I've been just over a year without mine. I went to see my doctor and according to him it's because my body fat is low and the amount of exercise I do prevents me from having mine. He suggested I go on birth control but because of religious beliefs I go without.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I went 9 months once, but I ended up with a baby.

Then I went another 8 months or so because that baby was attached at the breast.

Then another time I went 5 years without a period becuase of Depo.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i have gone 6 to 8 months without it but they put me on bc to make it become regular
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    When I was TTC I went 101 days and had to get it started again with some meds. *sigh*

I had three last year.

But since losing some weight, I've already had 2 this year. Woot.

LOL.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    4 months due to drastic weight gain and weight loss. The doctor will only get it jump started with BC pills. My doctor said it's normal when people go through changes in weight.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Just fyi, if you frequently miss it for several months at a time, you should get evaluated for PCOS. Just going on BC pills isn't enough. it masks the symptoms. Over the long term, PCOS increases your risk of heart attack, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. It also causes weight gain and infertility.

For everyone who has missed periods, I highly recommend going to an endocrinologist. OB/GYNs a lot of the time just tell you to take BC and be done with it. An endocrinologist will evaluate all of your hormone levels. If you do have PCOS, they will address the root cause. In many cases the treatment is very simple.
    i have gone 6 to 8 months without it but they put me on bc to make it become regular
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Or go to a water park.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome to TMI -

I started mine when I was 10. Over the next 13+ years, I had periods of time where I would go a month between periods, but often it was anywhere from 3-6 months and occasionally only a week or two between.
    The truly awful part? My periods lasted a minimum of 2-3 weeks. I literally never had one shorter than 2 weeks, and then they got longer and longer and longer, lasting anywhere from 1-3 months at a time.
    I had a hysterectomy almost 4 years ago after more than TWELVE MONTHS of non-stop heavy bleeding. Nothing they tried would make it stop or even slow down, nor could they figure out what was causing it. They ended up just taking it out because, well, you can't have problems with body parts that aren't there.

Here's what I learned:
    Anytime something "out of the norm" happens with your cycle, you need to get it checked. It most likely is nothing, but it's better to be safe than sorry.