Girls- Longest Gone W/O TOM?

Options

Replies

• therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    18 months. my doctor is giving it another four months a.k.a me another four months to gain weight
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    I go 3 months without it and then I get it for 4-5 days and then 3 months no period and so on. My doctor said it's because of the birth control I'm on.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No. It makes a difference. I have no children and am not plannign to. PCOS increases your risk of diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers. You need to treat the CAUSE. Birth control pills are not enough. that is just masking the symptom.''

if you DO want to have children, it makes a huge difference. PCOS keeps you from ovulating. Very often, just fixing the insulin will cause you to ovulate. WHen I started taking metformin 9 years ago, I had not had regular periods in 20 years. Once I started, my periods were completely normal within one month, and have been normal for the last 9 years..

Also, if you do get pregnant, untreated PCOS can make you much more likely to miscarry.

You *must* get it treated, at the root cause. Not just taking BC pills.
    Just fyi, if you frequently miss it for several months at a time, you should get evaluated for PCOS. Just going on BC pills isn't enough. it masks the symptoms. Over the long term, PCOS increases your risk of heart attack, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. It also causes weight gain and infertility.

For everyone who has missed periods, I highly recommend going to an endocrinologist. OB/GYNs a lot of the time just tell you to take BC and be done with it. An endocrinologist will evaluate all of your hormone levels. If you do have PCOS, they will address the root cause. In many cases the treatment is very simple.

I spoke with my dr about the possibility of having PCOS, she said it didn't make a difference whether I had it or not if I was not planning on having children. True?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.

I am assuming your talked with your OB/GYN. Some OBs are enlightened but mostly not. All they want to do is put you on BC pills and be done with it. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. that just masks the symptom. the CAUSE is insulin resistance, and you must treat this for the sake of your future health and fertility. You need to see an endocrinologist.

I spoke with my dr about the possibility of having PCOS, she said it didn't make a difference whether I had it or not if I was not planning on having children. True?

False! PCOS causes issues with your ovaries and hence periods. If you don't have periods, you aren't ovulating, and if you aren't ovulating you can't get pregnant! Some people with PCOS can lose a considerable amount of weight and that helps the PCOS, or others get fertility treatments various kinds to stimulate the ovaries into ovulating (which causes periods).
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I haven't had mine in about a year due to the fact that I am on the depo shot (birth control).
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Mine became irregular (went from 29 days apart to 40) when my thyroid was low. But that's probably not what you're going through. I've never gone 6 months, I think it's a good idea to make a dr.'s appt. and figure out what's going on! good luck :)
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    18 months...the whole time I was preggo and the first 9 months of BFing.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You guys really need to do research on this. I have PCOS and it is a bad case. I got pregnant with my son with out fertility treatments! The doctor put me on a structured carb diet, 45 carb breakfast, 30 carb snack, 45 carb lunch, 30 carb snack, 45 carb dinner, 30 carb snack. It spurred me to ovulate, and 9 months later Alexander was born.
    Yes, absolutely.

I am assuming your talked with your OB/GYN. Some OBs are enlightened but mostly not. All they want to do is put you on BC pills and be done with it. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH. that just masks the symptom. the CAUSE is insulin resistance, and you must treat this for the sake of your future health and fertility. You need to see an endocrinologist.

False! PCOS causes issues with your ovaries and hence periods. If you don't have periods, you aren't ovulating, and if you aren't ovulating you can't get pregnant! Some people with PCOS can lose a considerable amount of weight and that helps the PCOS, or others get fertility treatments various kinds to stimulate the ovaries into ovulating (which causes periods).
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It's been about 10 years for me--but I'm 65, best thing about getting older. :)
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this... Mine went a little crazy (nothing to do with weight loss or gain)... I ended up in hospital one month... then the next time it never came... then the following time... nearly hospital again (but I refused to go)... then nothing... I just put it down to my thyroid playing up (I am already on medication for that)...

Turns out my prolactin levels are elevated and am now being monitored for a pituitary tumour.

I'd get a full blood count done and make sure you keep an eye on things... when your body changes... you know it best... and it's better to be safe than sorry!!!!
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah about 9 months! Once I start working out and lost 20lbs I begin to have a cycle!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one for almost 6 years, but I was on Depo which stops it. Now I'm back on depo and no longer have them again. I've never had a regular period my whole life. My first period lasted an entire year (yes you read that right) and then I was put on birth control pills which still never controlled or stopped my periods. I was 15 almost 16 when I got on depo. I'm very thankful for that shot every 3 months. The few times I got off a depo and tried to be "normal" has always ended badly. My body either wants to bleed to death or just be on depo. =P
  • CompuGirl2
    CompuGirl2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I didn't have my period for two years in high school. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with PCOS and Hyperinsulinemia since they often run together, so the doctor says. I was told that both would get better if I lost weight. However, I have read that athletes in impeccable shape also experience missed or no periods due to their level of fitness somehow messing with their hormone production.
  • Chaquilas
    Chaquilas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went about 6 months w/o then had 1 for over a month, had a d&C, started birth control and it finally ended. Had one additional one and then stopped the bc, and havent had one since. It is going on 7 months now. Hopefully as the weight drops it will be back. Prior to gaining almost 200lbs in less than 2 years, it came each month like clockwork.
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    My periods were always normal && I started taking bc because if horrible cramps. Well once I stopped taking birth control my periods were sooo out of whack I would go 6 months without then get one then go another 3 months without & and so on. NOW finally since losing weight I've finally started getting them monthly (lol I never thought I would be HAPPY to get my period monthly) I honestly believe my birth control had something to do with it && I also did gain weight while on it so that could have been the reason as well! Good luck I hope they get it figured out
  • kiqno
    kiqno Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never missed a period, but since I've been loosing weight I have had some strange ones. Like for a couple months I started spotting for 2-3 days before my period (I had NEVER spotted before), then one month my period lasted for only one day and was very....TMI here..."chunky". I started taking a daily vitamin and it helped to get my periods mostly back to normal. I read somewhere that your body fat regulates your hormones...and since your hormones regulate your period, your period becomes effected if you lose weight aka body fat....just my thoughts on the subject lol
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    I went 14 months....but 9 of that was because I was pregnant and the other 5 was because my son was being exclusively breast fed. Within days of introducing solids once a day, I got AF. my %BF is really low right now, so I'm really hoping I'm ovulating (just went off BC this month to TTC #2)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I went 9 months once, but I ended up with a baby.

Then I went another 8 months or so because that baby was attached at the breast.

Exactly this.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Surefire way to get your period: wear khakis or white pants.

Guaranteed. :grumble:
    Tell me about it. My program has me wearing white scrub bottoms! Who the hell does that? It's sick. Well of course since we have 15 women sitting in the same room 5 days a week, we all cycle together and all usually start the first day of clinicals. I swear that god must have a sick sence of humor.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    BTW it is very common to miss periods when adjusting to intense exercise routines, but it usually comes back within a few cycles. def talk to your doc about it.