daily weigh-in club

Options

Replies

• Ostinatoarts
    Options
    Daily weigh ins have know meaning...no significant value. They are minor fluctuations that reflects mostly water weight and not sustainable progress.

Weighing daily helps some people stay on track. Seeing that you lost 0.2 lbs from the previous day is encouraging. You do not typically lose 3 lbs over night. Weighing weekly will show you a bigger number but it is all the same....

Also, for people who enjoy both math and science, we know that weighing in daily does not introduce errors caused by water weight, but rather screens them out. As direct feedback, scale weights are pretty unreliable and useless. It is the aggregate collection of data that increases accuracy in the long run. You might remember such evils as the "line of best fit" from high school math class, and for once, you can use this information in your real life. :)

If you want to see it in action, check this out: http://www.myweightracker.com/history

The site also has an awesome tool which helps you log daily weights. After five days, the math kicks in and is able to show you more accurately what is going on with your weight. Let me know what you all think... I use it every morning!
  • bryonysten
    Options
    So glad its not just me! I am the same as a previous poster, if I don't weigh in daily the weight goes on too fast and I end up putting the weight back on that I just lost. Some weeks I put it on over the weekend, lose it effectively during the week only to repeat the cycle again. Sigh.

This morning for example I weighed 3lbs more than yesterday morning, despite eating healthily and playing ladies football for nearly 2 hours! I think its probably down to retaining water though due to the exercise. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

I just want to see a general downward trend so I only log my weight when I have lost a pound. It is then easy to see how long it takes between weigh ins to lose the weight (in my head anyway).

A pound a week is 52 in a year... just gotta keep reminding myself.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm in...for now at least! I'm Tatiana. And I was a successful weight loss story. I lost half my body weight a number of years ago. 70 pounds. But in the past 8 months, I gained 31 pounds. Part of it was due to medication changes, but I also started having unremitting fatigue. And stopped exercising. And started doing what I do when I don't exercise...eating sugar and flour to keep my energy up. BUT. I recently figured out the cause of my fatigue...with some help from my doctor...and I'm feeling better. And the weight is starting to creep downward. But I have to help it along.

I like daily weigh-ins because, as a former obese person, I find that I always need to "keep an eye" on what my body is doing...or it will run away from me. Just like looking in the mirror every morning. You don't always look exactly the same, but its good to make sure you don't have something growing on your face.

This morning? I was 136.
    Yesterday. 135.6
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    sweet110, welcome to the thead. I feel the same way when it comes to daily weighing. I would love to have my weight in the 130s. Good job.

I am holding steady. To the ounce.
  • sweet110
    Options
    sweet110, welcome to the thead. I feel the same way when it comes to daily weighing. I would love to have my weight in the 130s. Good job.

I am holding steady. To the ounce.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah...I'm 4'11". So being in the 130's isn't as good as it sounds! But its clearly better than being in the 170s, which was my heaviest weight.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    yesterday: 130.7
    today: 130.2 (-.5)
  • mommy2ajs
    mommy2ajs Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Yesterday: 190.8
    Today: 188.00(-2.4)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...146.2
    One before...147.6

YES !!!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi! New to this thread...

My name's Chris, I am 34, married and we have one awesome little baby called Bradley, he is 8 months old. I work 9 - 5 in an office doing a pretty mudane job. I love cycling, astronomy/science, reading and I am a pretty major geek!

I weigh myself everyday and have done since the start of this journey, I really feel it helps me to see what my body is doing and how my weight loss is progressing over time. I tend to lose a bit, bounce around for a couple of lbs, lose a bit more, bounce around, plateau, bounce around, lose a bit... And that's pretty much how it goes, but at least it's going in the right direction. I try not to let the ups get to me and just use them to motivate myself when I am in the gym or more importantly to work a bit harder when I am out on my bike.

Nice to meet everybody, feel free to friend request if you would like some motivation.

Chris
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I started with MFP about 40 days ago and have lost 16 lbs so far. I'm hoping to lose about 30 total. I weigh myself every single morning after I get home from the gym. Nearly everyone tells me not to weigh everyday, but I find it exciting to get on the scale and see how I'm doing. Since I'm exercising regularly and eating right, what I see on the scale is almost always encouraging. Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't wait to weigh in each morning!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I DONT GET IT! last night when I went to bed I weighed 126.8 and this morning I was at 126.0.... I usually lose 2lbs overnight! Why did i lose just .8?!
  • sweet110
    Options
    I'm holding steady. I weighted in at 136.2. Yesterday I was 136.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    I usually lose 2lbs overnight! Why did i lose just .8?!

i have had that happen. usually, for me, it means a hormone issue.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    yesterday: 130.2
    today: 130.2 (+)
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    yesterday: 130.2
    today: 129.5 (-.7)

meant to write an = sign yesterday, not a +. oops. i am happy about today's loss. i will need some willpower this weekend. the boys have 12 games (12 hours of sitting on my rear) and my mom and sister are going to be in town to watch. it is so tempting to not watch what i eat.
  • sweet110
    Options
    yesterday: 136.2
    today: 136.0

Essentially the same. I've been circling 136 the past 4 days. I'm not concerned...I also have pms, so I might not see any movement for a week.
  • Panaru
    Panaru Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was wanting to join you guys if I could? I find checking in daily really helps me stay on track better then not.
    I have a lot to go and I seem to go up and down from day to day but weekly it still goes down.

Also I hate to admit it but I feel if I don't start sharing with others I will fall off the wagon and quit again.
    I really want to stick to it this time!

So.. Joining in!
    Today: 259lb
    Yesterday: 259.8
  • sweet110
    Options
    Welcome panaru!

My numbers.
    Yesterday: 136.0
    Today: 135.8
  • Panaru