Pre-Logging Exercise

Options

Replies

• DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I pre-log. It holds me accountable. I am very good at talking myself out of working out! If I log in and plan my day food wise-- I make no bad choices or mistakes.

De-friend her if it annoys you that much!
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.

I often pre-log meals, then alter them if I've eaten more or less than I thought I would.
    I don't pre-log exercise.
  • philcrawley
    philcrawley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I pre log exercise - i feel crap if I've logged it and don't do it - so it's like an extra incentive to hit the gym!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I cannot see how pre-logging can be accurate... Depending on my engergy level, diet pre-workout and mood I could do the same exercise three times and burn different calories each time.

What would you put for calories burned when you pre-log? Am I the only one who has various results from the same workouts?
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I prelog when I first get to the gym so I can have my work out planned out.
    If for some reason I don't do one part of the work out, I delete it off my post. I do not leave it in my diary.
    It seems to work as a motivation while I'm at the gym.
    I'll be on the elliptical and be like "well... I'm kinda tired.... BUT I already logged it.. must.. trek... on... "
  • nau05242
    nau05242 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I plan my work outs for the week but I don't prelog them, mainly because I have a HRM and use the cal burn from that instead of the MFP cal burn. However, I prelog food lots because having a plan makes me more likely to stick to it.
  • InsaneMontae
    InsaneMontae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You might as well wait until you do the exercise, because you will most likely have to go back and change something, because until you do the workout you don't know how many calories you burn!!!
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    True, you don't know the exact amount, but if you do the same activities regularly, you have a general idea... I just log what I burned last time, and update it after I've done it... It's usually only a few calories difference... But it gives me a starting point on how many calories I have since I work out too late at night to be eating 3-500 calories and sleep comfortably... :-)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.

Yea! This is what I'd do..

Yep same here.

Me too
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i think everyone is accountable for theirselves. if someone want to pre log then its fine...if they do it step by step ..then fine...whatever works for them...because in the end....remember...all work will SHOW!!!
  • kirsten375
    Options
    I'll "pre-log" food, as i'm making it, so i know i'm not going over my calories, and i'm not really exercising at the moment, as i haven't gotten the money together to pay for the Gym, but i do walk 30 mins 4 times a week or more depending on if i'm going to town or not. but i'll log what i've walked just as i finish.

and sorry to be british, but what on earth is an elliptical? i'm guessing cross trainer.

I wouldn't dare pre-log things well in advance, and definitely not exercise, i'm not that rigid with a routine to be able to follow through with it.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I pre-log, but I'm a bit of an obsessive planner. I plan out my food for the week so none of my meals are a surprise and because of the way my schedule works, my BFF picks me up from work and we go straight to the gym on the same 5 days a week. I know which days I lift weights and which days I"m going to run and which days I'm going to do other cardio or a class. Very rarely do I prelog and I don't follow through and when that happens I always go back and change it.

I found that I actually have to pre-log in order to get all the calories I need in for the day. I work out fairly late in the day so there's not enough time to get that extra 600 calories in afterwards. This way I can eat small healthy snacks throughout the day and acheive the calories I need.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll pre-log things that I know i will do.... that way when it gets busy and i'm getting ready to go or too tired when I get back I don't forget. I think pre-logging's fine if your going to stick to it and be accountable to yourself. I do the same with my meal planning, I pre-log it all and then print it out and put it up in my kitchen so when I'm making food I can follow it like a real menu but at the same time I can organize a full days worth of food.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise at the end of the day for the opposite reason. I may need to do a bit more later to account for some unplanned calories that jumped down my throat!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    maybe she spent too much time talking about it on the forums to actually do it! lol
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I pre-log my food whenever I can just because it saves time. I go out for a 30 minute walk every evening but I don't pre-log that.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Most of the time during the week I pre-log, it actually motivates me to do it, but if I didn't do it I'd take it off...there is no point using mfp if you are going to cheat with food and exercise!

^^ this
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I pre-log to ensure I do it! I use it as my plan. I pre-log all my food that I plan to eat that day too.
    I rarely every change it. I think there have only been two days where I had to go back and change it...only because I couldn't go skating that day after all dammit...lol
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do my exercise after I do it so my heart rate monitor tells me how much I actually burned.

I do pre-log food sometimes though. Espeically for things that I had to premake and bring to work
  • kac452
    kac452 Posts: 10
    Options

Same here.