Pre-Logging Exercise

Options

Replies

• estjames
    Options
    I prelog food to plan my day if I think I might be weak (temptations at work, so this way I stay on track). I do not prelog exercise, but that is a personal choice. Some people find it helpful to make them accountable, but for me, I don't like to add calories into my diet until I earn them in case life gets in the way, I decide to do a different exercise, or go for a different time or intensity.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I never pre-log exercise. I wear a heart rate monitor and like to log what i actually burn, not an estimate. I will pre-log food only if I am going to eat out, I go onto the restaurant websites to look at the calories, then log it so that I don't stray or change my mind after I get there.
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have pre-logged once, only because I knew I wasn't going to be near a computer/app for a while. I did follow through. I think pre-logging kind of defeats the purpose. Do the exercise, then log it. That is my opinion.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log my dinners (since I always have them planned the day before) so this way i know what I can and can not eat during the day... I never pre-log my workouts. I log them once I finish my workout.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    If I pre-log exercise, I usually only do so to get an idea of how many calories I need to eat that day. I take it back off immediately once I figure that out, and only add it back on if I actually do it. Since I'm on maintenance mode, I need to make sure I'm eating enough food every day, and it's hard to do that if I exercise then have to eat back like 400-600 calories after dinner has already been eaten. (I tend to work out at night most of the time.)

Edit: I also log my exercise on a different website, so it's already scheduled for me in advance. If I don't do it, I don't record that I did it. Keeps me accountable and makes it easy to see which days I've done and which days I haven't over each month. :)
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference between pre-logging and "doing it" and pre-logging and "not doing" it. She's only fooling herself. Integrity is everything!!!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.

Yea! This is what I'd do..

Ditto
  • chodgi06
    chodgi06 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I prelog exercise that I know I'm committed to doing. (Team sports, meeting friends for a spinning class, etc) That way I can plan healthy meals throughout the day that incorporate the calories. I don't like to prelog anything I'm wishy-washy about.

Exactly. I pre-log my indoor soccer game (guess whatever my lowest calories burned has been recently and use that as a start) because they are typically late in the evening, i will not have enough time after to make up the calories, and I know i am 99% sure that i will get on the field and play and burn approximately that many calories. I try not to prelog any other exercise that will occur earlier in the day. I do prelog meals to plan out my day and see what calories are left for snacking, etc.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    For me it's important to do it then log it. Sort of positive reinforcement. So I don't log in advance.
  • hedwighigh
    Options
    I pre-log my food and exercise.
    If I don't do it, I delete it.
    But I'm actually more likely to do it if I go ahead and log it cause I don't want to delete it.
    Then again, I generally feel bad if I skip workout days in general.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't because I use my HRM to track my calories burned.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I pre-log food, but rarely exercise because I don't want to trick my mind like your friend may be doing. Not too mention, I may plan to walk/run for X amount of time, but that could easily change. Life does get in the way, so pre-logging just leads to disappointment.
  • star87cc
    Options
    I pre-log everything! slightly OCD, but then there's no suprises! I have all my meals, snacks and workouts planned as I have to book classes a week in advance at my gym to ensure my place on the night so thats how I know for the week what I shall be doing and as I havent purchased a HRM yet I'm using MFP as a rough guestimate. I dont eat all my exercise calories as I can only go to the gym after work and after that I dont feel like wolfing down more food and I dont like overeating during the day just incase the day comes when something happens and I really cannot make it!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-log my exercise. However, sometimes in the late afternoon I will pre-log my food so I stay on track for the day. I find that if I pre-log in the evenings it makes it so.....much easer to stay on plan and not overeat!
  • stacygb
    stacygb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also sometimes pre-log food &/or exercise. But if "life gets in the way" I go back and delete it. It would feel like cheating to leave it logged.
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    as a college student i always prelog exercise it's just easier. We have a workout club that gets everyone to go so i know ill go and do the whole work out. I don't see anything wrong with prelogging as long as you delete the things you don't eat/do. The only problem is if you constantly prelog and eat the calories you get back then don't work out.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.

^^^This.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about pre-logging your exercise? I have a friend who pre-logs constantly and then comes back later to say she never actually did the workouts because "life got in the way" or something. They aren't like "80 calories burned doing 90 minutes of 'cleaning, general'" but like "560 calories burned doing 62 minutes of 'running, 6 mph (10 minute mile)' or something like that. But then she posts about how "none of her MFP friends are being supportive..." when they stopped commenting "great job!" on her "workouts".....This isn't a *b*tch mode* post, I'm just honestly wondering if anyone does this effectively? Pre-logs and then follows through?
    You need to kindly just drift away from such people.
    No need to make drama of it.
    Just distance yourself and connect with those serious about reaching their fitness goals.
    :laugh: -Life got in the way - :laugh: - that's a good one....
  • Modmomma79
    Options

I do the same.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I never pre log exercise for any reason at all. I do try to guess how many calories I will burn for my workout to fit it into my meal plans for the day as I do pre log my meals usually the day before, or if not, then in the mornings, and make adjustments when/if needed. I don't see the point in pre logging exercise. Some people say it motivates them to actually do it, so that's fine if it works for them. I just don't do it nor see the need to for myself.