8 Foods You Should Eat Every Day

Options
bizco
bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
From a Stanford University study and published in Men's Health magazine. The same holds true for women. Add lean protein daily and you're golden.

1. Spinach
2. Yogurt - label must specify "live active cultures"
3. Tomatoes
4. Black beans
5. Carrots
6. Blueberries
7. Walnuts (raw)
8. Oats

The study did provide some alternatives if you just can't stomach the above foods, but the alternatives provide fewer benefits. They are:

1. Kale or romaine lettuce
4. Pinto or kidney beans
5. Pumpkin, sweet potatoes
7. Almonds (raw)

Replies

• MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    What are black beans ? :/
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 4/8!!! And eat the rest, except blueberries- yuck, several times per week!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Beans......that are black :noway:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    From a Stanford University study and published in Men's Health magazine. The same holds true for women. Add lean protein daily and you're golden.

1. Spinach
    2. Yogurt - label must specify "live active cultures"
    3. Tomatoes
    4. Black beans
    5. Carrots
    6. Blueberries
    7. Walnuts (raw)
    8. Oats

The study did provide some alternatives if you just can't stomach the above foods, but the alternatives provide fewer benefits. They are:

1. Kale or romaine lettuce
    4. Pinto or kidney beans
    5. Pumpkin, sweet potatoes
    7. Almonds

They said Kale had LESS benefits than spinach? That surprises me, I've heard otherwise. Black beans are delicious!!

And those are great, but I hate spending $3/carton on blueberries when they're out of season.
  • bizco
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and look in the canned beans aisle. Drain and rinse them to remove most of the sodium. I add them to my salads.
  • bizco
    Options
    And those are great, but I hate spending $3/carton on blueberries when they're out of season.
    Buy them frozen when they're out of season.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I ate beans everyday, I wouldn't have any friends.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Blah, I hate frozen fruits. I'd rather have the real things unless it's going into a smoothie (which I don't usually do because I don't like drinking my calories).
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 for 8 (sub some almonds for the walnuts, though). I'm not a fan of tomatoes. I eat them in salads every now and then but definitely not every day. I eat black beans and oats occasionally.

I love fresh blueberries. I've tried the frozen ones, but I hate the taste (to me, it is very different than fresh), so I just make room in my food budget for them. Luckily, my brother-in-law's parents grow blueberries, so I can get them for free from time to time.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Blah, I hate frozen fruits. I'd rather have the real things unless it's going into a smoothie (which I don't usually do because I don't like drinking my calories).

Defrost them a bit in the microwave and stir them into yogurt with granola, or bake them into high fiber muffins or waffles. They are YUMMY that way.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump - great ideas to add variety to my diet!
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mmm.. I love black beans :)
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    they were talking about this on the radio this morning
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do love spinach... & I do eat a lot of yogurt & carrots. beans, not so much :/
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Those things may not necessarily go with what I am eating during the day, some of them I do not like either. Pumpkin or sweet potatoes.
  • AmandaJ1957
    Options
    1. Spinach, kale, or romaine lettuce: I really need to work on upping my intake of these.
    2. Yogurt: no problem. I eat it every day
    3. Tomatoes, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes: I'm not allowed by the doctor to eat tomatoes, but I'll definitely work on increasing my intake of sweet potatoes or winter squashes
    4. Black, pinto, or kidney beans: I already serve beans twice a week; I suppose I could up it to 3 times, but probably not more than that
    5. Carrots: I'm way short on these. I guess I'll add eating a raw carrot each afternoon. That's doable.
    6. Blueberries: yuck. I know I should like them, but I don't.
    7. Walnuts (raw) or almonds (raw): I eat almonds most days, but not raw. Hmmm
    8. Oats: I'm thinking calories

I think that it would be hard to eat ALL of those things EVERY day on the number of calories I'm allowed by MFP (1200), but I'm certainly going to try to bump up how often I eat some of them.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't care for walnuts or blueberries. I do eat raspberries almost every day though. They are actually a little more nutritious than blueberries. I eat them frozen or add them to oatmeal and jello.

raspberries vs blueberries:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/471169-the-value-of-blueberries-vs-raspberries/
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I love eating most of that stuff but I don't have it everyday. Heck, I don't think there is a lot that I actually eat every day. I do try to always keep homemade yogurt in my fridge though. And fresh spinach (that I freeze) for smoothies.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Too bad I can't eat beans or nuts, haha. I do eat most everything else near daily... except blueberries. Tried to like them but BLEH. Much prefer raspberries or blackberries.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump