Real Live friends as MFP friends...

Options
So, I have a quandry- One of my real-life friends has sent me a friend request through MFP-

I use MFP almost like a diary, and I appreciate the annonimity- being able to share my thoughts and get feedback from strangers- does anyone else see it that way? Do you have your real life friends as MFP friends?

thoughts????

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a friend, who's also a co-worker, that's on here. She's actually the person who introduced me to the site. I love having her on here. We don't check out or stalk each other's profile pages, we give each other a nudge when we notice the other hasn't been logging for a few days. And a congrats when one of us logged a workout. She's awesome for helping get through the work day. Helping each other make good choices around all the free food in the break room. And making efforts to eat well when we hang out outside of work.

But all that depends on the friend and your relationship.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand MORE than I do!!! Yikes. It's a slippery slope. I had a few friends on here that are (were) my friends in real life first. I found that I was much more serious about doing what needed to be done for myself and I eventually deleted them from my friends list after seeing over and over that they were not logging in. I guess it depends on the friend and depends on you... My experience did not end well for my 'real life friendships'. But I am perfectly ok with it. My journey is MINE. Good luck to you. It's a double edged sword that's for sure.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to not have any friends on MFP period. I just read and post on the boards.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I actually have to real life friends on my site, and I love it, My cousin who is my best friemd, and another friend, they are the best motivators, we are all here for the same reason, i text my cousin all the time about MFP, I don't think I would have it any other way. I guess you have to ask your self if you feel comfrtable enough to have them as a friend.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have one real life friend on MFP and really enjoy her on this site. She lives two houses down from me and we talk nearly every day anyways. It's fun to have the team spirit. I think I would only want my closest real life friends or family members. If it were just someone I didn't know very well or someone from work it may be uncomfortable.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I totally feel that way!!!

I have no real friends on here. I've even been hesitant to recommend the site because I don't want to feel obligated to friend them.

selfish? yes. silly? probably.

but I'm stickin to it for now!

edit to say - I actually am quite open about striving to lose weight/ be fit but for some reason I keep MFP private..
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would hate having a real-life friend on here. This is a place for ME and MY goals, and I'd feel like I couldn't really focus if my friends were here.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    my sister is going to join, will be strange as i can kinda say what i feel on here with nobody i know here knowing... im glad shes coming on at the same time though, it will really help her! x
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand MORE than I do!!! Yikes. It's a slippery slope. I had a few friends on here that are (were) my friends in real life first. I found that I was much more serious about doing what needed to be done for myself and I eventually deleted them from my friends list after seeing over and over that they were not logging in. I guess it depends on the friend and depends on you... My experience did not end well for my 'real life friendships'. But I am perfectly ok with it. My journey is MINE. Good luck to you. It's a double edged sword that's for sure.

This is me -- I took off my real life friends that I had on here for the exact reason stated.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    two of my very dearest real life friends are on here....it works out great for me,
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel comfortable with that real friend seeing your posts then I'd let her know that and decline. I actually made a rule when I started that I would only accept friend requests from people I knew in real life. That's what I felt comfortable so you just need to stick with what you feel comfortable with.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    two of my very dearest real life friends are on here....it works out great for me,

Awwwww....... I didn't know you felt so strongly about me. Especially since we haven't really met.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends was on MFP for a little while (she left after she got pregnant again), but it was a great way to keep motivated. that was my experience. Oh, my friend also worked with me so she knew if I ate something at work and didn't log it. It helped keep me accountable
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have friends on here from another support group for childen born with the birth defect my daughter was born with....they are like my second family and I love that some of them are taking this weightloss journey with me.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I would never tell my real life friends what I weigh :/
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I used to but they no longer long in after 5 months or so. It was weird because I totally understand where you're coming from :-)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I have one "Real life" friend on here, we are both working to improve our lives so it just makes sense... we also live together so...

But being randomly "Friended" out of the blue when you don't want RL friends finding you? That's why this particular ID is unique to me here at MFP it won't be used by ME at any other site, no one can "find me" as me unless I tell them my username so we can add each other, they can't just go to random sites and try my "known" usernames and find me... each site has it's own unique handle and that's my reasoning behind it :P
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have three real life friends on here. Wouldn't mind having more, since I won't say anything on here I wouldn't say in person.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have a few friends on here who are real-life friends, and it's very tricky. We have very different starting weights, goals and dedications to this process. It gets awkward sometimes, and has already spurned some hurt feelings (we're not all losing weight at the same rate, as is to be expected, and some people are taking that badly.) I'm thinking about weeding them out of my friends list. I love my anonymous new friends all over the world who don't judge or see me in real life scenarios.

You just have to use your best judgement. I would hope people would understand and not fault you for wanting to stay a bit hidden in the MFP world.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but I think there is a common understanding that what happens on MFP stays on MFP. :)