Real Live friends as MFP friends...

Options

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i can understand your point, but i think it has to do with how comfortable you are with the friend. i just introduced someone to the site and i'm happy to have her here, but some others i know i would be uncomfortable having on the site and following what i'm doing.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started on here with 5 of the people from my office. It was great for a while, but they all dropped off the wagon and stopped logging in. It was then that I started coming on the boards and making new friends. I did introduce one of my friends to it, but she only has me as a friend so literally uses it to log her food and very occasionally puts a comment on my weight loss. It doesn't bother me, but maybe would if I found out she had been discussing what I was up to with our other friends.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As a rule, no way, no how.

However, one of my IRL friends who I haven't seen in far too long found me by my picture. And I kind of love her for finding me just by my freaking eye. She's a very non-judgy friend in all aspects and one of the few I think I would allow. (<3 Amb!)
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have several real life friends on here and wouldn't change that. In my opinion, we all joined the site for the same reason...to lose weight. If they know me, they already knwo I need to lose it and vice versa, so now we can support each other on MFP and in the real world. It helps me with accountability. :) But of course, every one has their own feelings on the subject.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    its funny (not funny "ha ha", but funny interesting!) to read how many people don't want their "real" friends on MFP. I actually prefer to know my friends, and have added very few strangers to my friends list. I guess I'm not too worried about the privacy issue. I mean all my real live friends have seen my success, considering I've lost 90 pounds! Its pretty obvious! I find comments made by my real friends mean a lot more to me, because I know they mean it and aren't giving me lip service. If you feel that the person you know may not be supportive, then don't add them.
  • SweetProgression
    SweetProgression Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well if they're dedicated an involved I wouldn't mind. If they were putting up a front "acting on here like they were pushing toward their goal but in real life they're doing and eating whatever" I'd not add and if they asked why I'd be honest. I would love to have my current friends as real life friends but people seem pretty standoffish even the ones who may live close. I guess it's for the same reason, they appreciate their anonymity. I wouldn't want family members or coworkers on here if we never talk much anyway so I hate when they try to add me on ANYTHING. In the end it depends on how good of a friend the person is and their dedication.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I pretty much use MFP to bag on people I hate and to generally talk smack, so that really wouldn't work for me.

I actually could give a damn about losing weight... I needed somewhere to rant and I'm too lazy to start a Facebook page.

Just kidding. I care about losing weight.

OK, not really. But I was kidding about not having a Facebook page. But I only use that to stalk chicks from high school.
  • amandasowards
    Options
    All of my friends on MFP are real friends or family except for 1 and I find that it is so encouraging to have them on here. They give me the motivation I need to keep going! We are constantly cheering each other on and giving each other different ideas for recipes and workout routines. Its awesome! We are all focusing on the same goals and it just works for us!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have 2 people on here that I know in "real life" and I love it! Holds me more accountable and I can have something else to talk with them about, something we are going through together and have in common:) They are great support people!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have my mom, best friends, cousin, aunt , husband, coworker and people i met on this site as friends. I love having the support of people in all aspects in my life on here. they are going through similar things or might need advice or might give me good advice. It's all on your comfort level. it's been working out great for me :)
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have some family and coworkers who are on MFP and it works for me, but everyone is different. I think if you are uncomfortable with it, you have every right to tell them you would rather not add them.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have 3 that are "real live" friends. I'm okay with having them because anything I would share on MFP I would share with them, and probably already have. :)
    If it's someone you don't want to know your business, then I would "ignore."
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My hubby is on here with me, as well as someone who I met through a video game that I talk to on a daily basis. I also have my best friend (coworker) as well as a cousin on my friends list. It has actually enabled me to become closer to all these people. We are all serious though about losing weight and discuss things outside this website.

I think it honestly depends on your relationship to this person. You need to decide if you are comfortable with them seeing what you write. It's been positive for me though. :)

I wish you luck in coming to the right decision for you. :)
  • ilikeher
    Options
    Two of my best friends are on MFP with me, but they are both positive, supportive ppl. If this person is a good friend and someone who you trust that will support you, go for it. If not, don't do it. Your friends are here to help you, if you are going to be uncomfortable or feel like this person might be judging you whats the point
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Often I post blunt statements and I don't necessarily worry about who I am offending. I'm not mean, but I like the anonymity of it, as you said. I have friended a few RL friends on here. They are also my friends on facebook. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it causes me to check myself before I blurt something out on here.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would never tell my real life friends what I weigh :/

This was my biggest problem, but now I'm losing weight I've found I'm telling the world what I do/did weigh. I never plan to weigh this again so I figure I may as well. :)
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never thought about it. I'm not a very private person and if they quit signing in, so be it. I like having people know my goals as when I'm out with them, they are aware that I am not going to order extra fries and whatnot....No big deal at all to me!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    All my MFP friends are imaginary...
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I instruct at a group fitness center, and I use MFP like a diary, too. I spend more time here than on Facebook. When I first had someone ask me for my MFP username recently (I push MFP all the time because hey, it works and it's FREE!) I was apprehensive about it, but then I decided that it's actually a good thing. I want everyone to succeed and to not become discouraged. They can see that I've lost my weight even though I make mistakes, have bad days, and good days. I don't become discouraged because I know all setbacks are temporary unless I give up. And I really want to see all of them make their goals!

I have 4 girls I know in from the studio on here now, and I'm sure there will be more. And it helps keep me accountable! :wink: