12 Tips for People who feel like they can't not losing weigh

Options
Okay, I noticed a theme throughout the MFP message boards. This is NOT directed toward any person in particular, but it seems there are quite a lot of people who are struggling to lose weight even though they feel they are doing all the right things. I really wanted to help these people because I spent A LONG time feeling the same way--frustrated. I just felt that any thing short of starvation would never work to transform my body. Now, that I have had success, I have a health and fitness blog called "Life After Lazy," and this week's post is my humble attempt to try to help people who were once like me, feeling hopeless and ready to quit. Let me know if there are any other tips you know of! I hope I can make a difference for some people.

Here is the link: http://lifeafterlazy.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-tips-for-im-doing-everything-right.html

(you'll have to copy and paste it)

Replies

• Hummingbird82
    Hummingbird82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    some great tips:happy:
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm one of those people in a funk right now, I'll check it out, thanks.

Btw it's easier to just hi-light the link and right click 'open in new tab'. Works for me.

Ven
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That might be helpful, except I'm doing all those things and not losing.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Nice blog, thanks for the tips! Alot of them I am doing so it's good to see I'm not totally off base!! Some of them I need to fine tune a bit more!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are some helpful tips in there, though only a personal level. None of it is necessary. I'd be as big as a house if I the only way I could lose weight was to eat the same thing every day! Or if I had to stay within my calori goal every single day.

She also contradicts herself. "Don't eat processed foods" and "No diet foods" but "I've calculated the non-dairy, sugarless ice cream into my day..." In what world is non-dairy sugarless ice cream not processed diet food, if indeed it is food at all?
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There are some helpful tips in there, though only a personal level. None of it is necessary. I'd be as big as a house if I the only way I could lose weight was to eat the same thing every day! Or if I had to stay within my calori goal every single day.

She also contradicts herself. "Don't eat processed foods" and "No diet foods" but "I've calculated the non-dairy, sugarless ice cream into my day..." In what world is non-dairy sugarless ice cream not processed diet food, if indeed it is food at all?

I specifically said not to eat the exact same thing every day and to have just a few staples meals and snacks you enjoy and to change it up once you are bored with them--it should be understood that I meant healthful meals and snacks that won't make you "big as a house." I didn't realize I had to spell that out...

I make my own ice cream using either rice or almond milk, organic vanilla extract, and agave (but you can buy options like this that are just as healthy and processed-food-free in most grocery stores). I don't think you understood my definition of "diet" foods--foods that are advertised as "low fat" or "sugar-free" but still contain all kinds of junk that's not good for you. My rice milk ice cream has no processed ingredients or artificial sweeteners. It is a 100% plant-based, whole food snack.

I never said you had to stay within your caloric limit every single day. I only shared what I do and what works for me.
  • ahinski
    Options

You are either at a healthy weight or something is wrong--get your thyroid checked asap and ask your doctor about what else could be wrong.
  • rml_16
    Options

You are either at a healthy weight or something is wrong--get your thyroid checked asap and ask your doctor about what else could be wrong.
    Not at a healthy weight. Had a full physical in October specifically because of my inability to lose. Everything's normal.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Not at a healthy weight. Had a full physical in October specifically because of my inability to lose. Everything's normal.

i would suggest having your insulin to glucose ratio checked by an endocrinologist. sounds just like me - nothing was showing up on normal tests (blood, TSH, thyroid ultrasound, glucose fasting) and turns out that my body is just not using insulin correctly. i don't have high blood sugar/diabetes at all, or any other health issues. my doc put me on metformin to balance the insulin and my weight is falling off.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks, Calliope. I'll definitely look into that!
  • ahinski
    Options
    Yes, something is definitely wrong. It's a shame that a doctor would send you away without answers. You might also want to consider seeing a nutritionist.
  • ahinski
    Options
    rml_16, But your profile says that you are thin? I'm confused...
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Well, as much as I appreciate the effort put into writing this blog/article I have to disagree with 5,8 and 9.

5. Meal timing and no. of meals/day is irrelevant. It's been scientifically proved for many years now. This is only a perpetual nutritional myth.
    8.Why is that? Variety of healthy food help people to go over a boring diet and getting sick of the same food every day. I have to mention that every person is unique. I can eat the same darn thing for a month without any problem but I'm one of the few.
    9.Personal preference in case of people that want to lose weight. A must for athletes or BBs. There are many many variables here (weight goal, fitness level, motivation, necessity, time availability and so on). As you said not always the more the better.

Other than that intentions are great and the rest of the tips are really valuable.:smile:
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the tips! :flowerforyou:
  • LesleeAH
    Options

5. Meal timing and no. of meals/day is irrelevant. It's been scientifically proved for many years now. This is only a perpetual nutritional myth.

Agree there. Frequency of meals does not speed up your metabolism - the amount of muscle you have does. Frequency of meals only helps keep you satisfied.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat processed food, only eat twice per day (sometimes three times), eat white carbs almost daily, and I'm down 33 lbs total (25 on MFP), 3 pants sizes, am stronger and fitter than I've been in years, and my blood markers are perfect. Sorry, but not everyone has to do it your way to drop lbs.

The only thing that makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit.

You admitted that you didn't do much research into this, and I'm glad this worked for you, but not everyone needs such a stringent diet to lose weight nor want it.

I appreciate that you're trying to help people, but part of that is to be open to the idea that not everyone wants or should do it your way.
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    good advice
  • dodson169
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I have to say that although some of those tips are common knowledge that they are not all necessarily universally going to work for EVERYONE. Plus, the eat every 2-3 hours is not true based on A LOT of research I've read that says it doesn't matter if you eat three meals a day or smaller meals every few hours ... it does not speed up your metabolism that is a myth.

I don't know this is just my opinion but I've lost 35 lbs. by eating what I normally eat just eating less of it and moderating it.

I think what is most important is finding what works for YOU and YOUR BODY.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Real question.. NY/NJ or Phila Phan... following will read later..