12 Tips for People who feel like they can't not losing weigh

Options

Replies

• bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    These tips are great I'm already doing a few of them but others I'll definitely begin to see if I can jumpstart my weight loss! :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Frequency of meals only helps keep you satisfied.

In my opinion that is a very important factor in a weight loss programme and for that reason I stick to 6 meals a day.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I could help those who appreciated my genuine attempt to try to offer good, solid advice--because that's what it is. I appreciate all the kind words and support. I had about 10 friend invites as a result of this blog post from people who wanted to use my experience as a motivator, and I'm not only flattered, but finding it motivating for myself!

I never meant to imply that other people accept mediocrity, although it's true that some people do and that IS PERFECTLY OKAY! I was just trying to justify why I do what I do. I was not trying to be flip, I was simply pointing out that my goal is to be as healthy as can be, so that's why my standards may seem higher. If you twisted what I said, and took it personally, it's a result of your own insecurity. That's what seems to be the problem here. People are arguing that I'm saying a caloric deficit will not help you lose weight and if you read my post, I clearly said that it is IMPORTANT to have a caloric deficit if you want to lose weight. I HAVE A CALORIC DEFICIT! So, I firmly agree with the statement (said by someone else) that a caloric deficit is the bedrock of weight loss, but that implies that it is solely the foundation for a much larger, complex structure. What is the purpose of a foundation without an overriding structure for it to support?

I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth. Someone raised a point about agave not being as healthy as I thought, and I readily accepted their information and intend to research it more because I'm greatly appreciative when people point out that I am wrong or misguided; it helps me. However, it seems many people are putting words in my mouth and twisting around the whole intent of why I shared the blog post in the first place--TO HELP PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND NOT GETTING THE DESIRED RESULTS. If you are satisfied with the results you are achieving with your caloric-deficit-only method, then this advice was not intended for you! But that didn't work for me and it's clearly not working for others as well and this was my humble and genuine attempt to share my own experience with success. If it's not your experience, then by all means, please keep doing what you're doing. Different strokes for different folks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    rml_16, But your profile says that you are thin? I'm confused...
    My profile says I was very thin most of my life. It does not say that I currently am. Read more closely.

Compared to some, I guess I am. I'm a size 8. But to ME, that is quite heavy. I'm 5'3" and weigh 153 at the moment. And, no, it is not all muscle weight.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you are satisfied with the results you are achieving with your caloric-deficit-only method, then this advice was not intended for you! But that didn't work for me and it's clearly not working for others as well and this was my humble and genuine attempt to share my own experience with success. If it's not your experience, then by all means, please keep doing what you're doing. Different strokes for different folks.

^^^^^Quoting you so I am not labeled as misquoting you. You said calorie-deficit-only method didn't work for you. Calorie deficit is in fact the only way to lose weight - so if you lost weight you in fact had a calorie deficit. There are many ways to create that calorie deficit - so maybe that's what you mean, the ways can vary - but it's still a calorie deficit and that is what causes weight loss. You can achieve this by diet changes or more exercise or both but the fact still remains, only a calorie deficit will decrease weight. To state otherwise is just not correct.

That's all. Keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    You may be right; maybe there is no scientific research that says your body reacts differently when you don't eat every 2-3 hours, but that's not what I was saying. I was saying that doing so prevents cravings and over-eating. And there is plenty of research to suggest that it is definitely true that skipping meals slows down your metabolism.

While it is true that skipping meals slows down your metabolism this isn't really here nor there with this statement. If you eat three meals a day your metabolism will not slow down (as with 5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours). Plus what you are saying in that it prevents cravings and over-eating is just not true it is a MYTH...a perpetual one but still a myth. There is actually research that states an individual can be more prone to overeat when eating smaller meals more times a day. Here is an interesting link regarding the research I've read on this topic: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And your statement, "The only thing makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit" is simply not true.

Can you name another? Just curious.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A few minor pts of contention
    Processed foods sabotage any diet. They make the brain think you're eating a highly nutritious food because it has such a rich taste, but your body doesn't process it as such. These foods are linked to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.

Que? just because it's processed doesn't mean it's "bad" and i think you confuse processed foods and their actual degree of processing ie. oatmeal, milk, cheese, protein powder, frozen veggies and fruits etc, all are processed
    Ezekial bread is made of sprouted whole grains--the best kind for you

If you ignore the fact of it's phytic acid content and it's effect on mineral absorption

as well as the pts on meal timing, calorie deficits etc

It was a well intentioned if not slightly misinformed blog post
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And your statement, "The only thing makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit" is simply not true.

Can you name another? Just curious.

liposuction?
  • WendiPQA
    WendiPQA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Excellent reminders!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm simply saying that this is what I did and what worked for me! Talk about emotionally invested... you're the one going on the defense about suggestions that were not even meant for you!
    You keep saying that your post isn't a one-size-fits-all solution, and that it is only what worked for you. But your thread is essentially titled: "12 Tips for People who feel like they aren't losing weight". You also state in your OP: that it is your "humble attempt to try to help people who were once like me, feeling hopeless and ready to quit."

Posting a message on a fitness site that is addressing difficulty losing, feeling hopeless and feeling ready to quite is casting a wide net. Nothing wrong with that, just that it's not as specific as "here is what worked for me, maybe it will help others" as you have implied in later posts.

Intentional or not, your post - in how it was titled and worded - was in fact aimed at a relatively large audience on MFP. There were some inaccuracies in what you posted - or at least some points that are debatable. And people are correct to point those out.

I enjoy these types of threads because I think the end result is that some people end up learning some things and often have long-held myths dispelled for them. Unfortunately, it usually comes at the price of defensiveness and possibly hurt feelings. And sometimes this weird rescuing behavior that I don't understand. But the end result (on the whole) is that people end up with better information.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    .. Seriously people? She made it clear that these are HER tips and they are what worked for HER. Its fantastic that you can eat white breat everyday and lose weight.. then keep doing it.. And, finding mayo clinic articles to "prove her wrong" is obnoxious.

WHAT WORKED FOR HER. Take it or leave it, but ensuing a debate to make yourself the hero is idiotic.
    Is this what worked for her? I'm a little confused.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    .. Seriously people? She made it clear that these are HER tips and they are what worked for HER. Its fantastic that you can eat white breat everyday and lose weight.. then keep doing it.. And, finding mayo clinic articles to "prove her wrong" is obnoxious.

WHAT WORKED FOR HER. Take it or leave it, but ensuing a debate to make yourself the hero is idiotic.
    Is this what worked for her? I'm a little confused.

Me too.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Hey! I saw this episode of "As MFP Turns" a few days ago...

An exchange of opinions and information is what make the forum what it is. There is nothing wrong with providing reputable information to rebut some long-held myths about metabolism, nutrition, etc. It only makes the forums more valuable to the members.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    That might be helpful, except I'm doing all those things and not losing.

You are either at a healthy weight or something is wrong--get your thyroid checked asap and ask your doctor about what else could be wrong.
    Not at a healthy weight. Had a full physical in October specifically because of my inability to lose. Everything's normal.

i would suggest having your insulin to glucose ratio checked by an endocrinologist. sounds just like me - nothing was showing up on normal tests (blood, TSH, thyroid ultrasound, glucose fasting) and turns out that my body is just not using insulin correctly. i don't have high blood sugar/diabetes at all, or any other health issues. my doc put me on metformin to balance the insulin and my weight is falling off.

I had the same issue. I had to specifically request the test and my insurance didnt cover it, but the test came back showing the same problem. On Metformin and my body processes things right now.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I'm LMBO...that's all!:laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The blog should be renamed "12 myths that I want to perpetuate."

Also, 10 is laughable, WORK TO FAILURE EVERY WORKOUT, BUT DON'T OVERTRAIN. Working to failure every workout is the definition of overtraining.

Every single "tip" is a rampaging diet myth that has been debunked by science many, many times.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Team Edward or team Jacob hmmmm
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Team Edward or team Jacob hmmmm
    Jacob. hands down.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options