No need for a scale, 420 pounds and I feel great!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    sigh.
  • teresab46970
    teresab46970 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Now thats motivation!!! I love reading things like this, you have inspired me to keep going no matter what. I have lost 10 pounds, and the last time i checked was on the 7th of feb. I dont see the weight difference but I see the inches comming off. And like you I feel great, I have more energy, I think I might be getting my sexy back....lol i love it!!!!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you're seeing progress and also feeling great. I would ask that you please see your Dr / GP about your meds though - they shouldn't just be stopped and really do good. I had bad views about them years ago before starting in further ed and learning about how they work and the validity of taking them. If your brain levels are not right you really won't recover fully and I'd hate for you to associate this potential crash with your weight as it wouldn't be weight orientated.

Have a chat with your GP / Dr they may even be able to help with weighing too.

Good luck whatever you choose to do, but give yourself the best chance. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    WOW, you have really inspired me! No other words to explain, I just read it and thought how amazing it was and I am so sure you will succeed because of your positive attitude.

I have been on psychiatric medication for a long time, and also I am studying psychology and am a volunteer counsellor. I think getting off anti-depressants, if you are feeling so much better, is the right thing for you and ignore everybody else who says otherwise. Only you know what is right for you. Just remember to reach out for support if things get harder because coming off medication can be a massive change and can take weeks or months to get used to fully.

Good Luck!!! :D
  • porffor
    Options
    WOW, you have really inspired me! No other words to explain, I just read it and thought how amazing it was and I am so sure you will succeed because of your positive attitude.

I have been on psychiatric medication for a long time, and also I am studying psychology and am a volunteer counsellor. I think getting off anti-depressants, if you are feeling so much better, is the right thing for you and ignore everybody else who says otherwise. Only you know what is right for you. Just remember to reach out for support if things get harder because coming off medication can be a massive change and can take weeks or months to get used to fully.

Good Luck!!! :D
    And you think it's ok to just stop them? Seriously? I don't disagree he should stop them if he wants to but with support to ease off them, you have no idea what he's taking and the effects this could have.

I am studying a degree in psychology (have volunteered in a psych unit and done a counselling course) but that doesn't make me a psychiatrist. Which is the only person other than a GP who should make that decision with the patient.

Having just checked OP PhatAndy's profile he himself says he has a 'Borderline Personality disorder'. This really does need more than MFP posters opinions on Mental Health and medications.
  • cabezablanca
    Options
    Hey!

I started my weight loss journey exactly 20 days ago today. I weigh (Or weighed) Somewhere between 400-440 pounds, I will never know because I bought the highest capacity scale from weight watchers and broke it. Stepped on it and it errored. I got really discouraged by this but when I entered this journey for weight loss it was because I had almost died of a blood infection called Sepsis. I had salmonella in my blood. Therefore, a scale would not stop me. I then put my back out and was unable to exercise any more. I would not let that stop me. Today, Not only is my back out but ive cracked/bruised a rib because of the amount of weight i have to put on my right side due to a slipped disk. I would not let that stop me.

Im here to tell you that regardless of numbers on a machine, I FEEL great, I have gained self confidence, self respect, and self esteem for the first time in my entire life, and I am living an incredibly healthy lifestyle. Yesterday I put my jeans on for the first time in 20 days, I could fit my entire arm down the side of them up to my elbow wich measured about 5 inches wich most would say is equivalent to about 12 pounds.

I am happy, I stopped taking my anti-depressants today. I dont need them anymore.. I cured part of my mental illness on my own without drugs, the ability to care about my happiness and not just others.

All of this within 20 days.

If I can do it, you can do it. I believe in all of you you all have the strength to pull through this.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I support =)
  • cabezablanca
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I needed some inspiration. I have been struggling this entire month. I see the difference in my clothes but none on the scale. Your story has given me hope that its not just about the pounds. best of luck to you.
  • ahersh00
    Options
    Hey!

I started my weight loss journey exactly 20 days ago today. I weigh (Or weighed) Somewhere between 400-440 pounds, I will never know because I bought the highest capacity scale from weight watchers and broke it. Stepped on it and it errored. I got really discouraged by this but when I entered this journey for weight loss it was because I had almost died of a blood infection called Sepsis. I had salmonella in my blood. Therefore, a scale would not stop me. I then put my back out and was unable to exercise any more. I would not let that stop me. Today, Not only is my back out but ive cracked/bruised a rib because of the amount of weight i have to put on my right side due to a slipped disk. I would not let that stop me.

Im here to tell you that regardless of numbers on a machine, I FEEL great, I have gained self confidence, self respect, and self esteem for the first time in my entire life, and I am living an incredibly healthy lifestyle. Yesterday I put my jeans on for the first time in 20 days, I could fit my entire arm down the side of them up to my elbow wich measured about 5 inches wich most would say is equivalent to about 12 pounds.

I am happy, I stopped taking my anti-depressants today. I dont need them anymore.. I cured part of my mental illness on my own without drugs, the ability to care about my happiness and not just others.

If I can do it, you can do it. I believe in all of you you all have the strength to pull through this.

First off, congratulations! I love your attitude!!! It's inspiring how hard you're working when your body is working against you! As a medical professional I need to ask, however, that you did not stop taking your antidepressants cold turkey? This is really not a good idea and you should talk to your physician before stopping any medications. Antidepressants need weaned. =) Good luck in all you do!!!
  • ahersh00
    Options
    Hey!

First off, congratulations! I love your attitude!!! It's inspiring how hard you're working when your body is working against you! As a medical professional I need to ask, however, that you did not stop taking your antidepressants cold turkey? This is really not a good idea and you should talk to your physician before stopping any medications. Antidepressants need weaned. =) Good luck in all you do!!!

Ok, I saw where you said you talked to a doctor... shew! I was worried! Congrats to you!!!!!
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    @portfor

No I don't thinks its ok to just stop them. BUT HE HASN'T DONE THAT. If you actually read his comments it says he did it under a doctors supervision. And yes, I am not an expert but I do trust the medical profession. So before you get snippy, read the actual information first please.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Soon you'll run out of limbs to put down your pants lol
  • porffor
    Options
    @portfor

No I don't thinks its ok to just stop them. BUT HE HASN'T DONE THAT. If you actually read his comments it says he did it under a doctors supervision. And yes, I am not an expert but I do trust the medical profession. So before you get snippy, read the actual information first please.

My apologies if it sounded 'snippy' it was a question; which you have now answered, as I couldn't understand with us having similar (I assume) training that you would be suggesting simply stopping his meds was ok. I did not have the time to read every post which is why my first response was as gentle as I could ask him to get some advice.
    I'm glad the OP has had advice and been able to come off his meds, this ultimately is a great success in itself regardless of weight loss.

I am happy to discuss things openly on the board so no need for me to reply to your PM. I'm not out for arguements - if you see me around the board you will realise this.

Good luck in your studies and good luck to OP.
  • tackemup
    tackemup Posts: 3
    Options
    How are you doing? No posts for a while...
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. Keep up the good work!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Congrats Andy for taking control of your life. I worked in mental health for many years and my 2 suggestions are to keep up the positivity and to consult your prescriber before ending you medication suddenly. It may have serious side effects and some even can cause seizures when stopped abruptly. I think they can guide you on titrating (sp?) your meds safely. You are doing great and as long as you're doing it the healthy correct way, dont allow others discourage you from your weight loss goals. Some of us on here may encourage you to do it in a safer manor like my suggestions, but that's all we can do is support you. Good luck on your life change.

...and like an a** I didn't see your comments about being under supervision of a Dr. Well more power to you then!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!