Doctor advice conflicts with MFP

Options

Replies

• finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm in a bit of quandary here. I've lost weight the past year by following pretty much what your doctor told you: I've been gradually decreasing my caloric intake (as my weight dropped) and for the most part not eating back my exercise calories. I do have cheat days where I blow out my calories so that my body doesn't become too accustomed to the amount I'm feeding it, but those are the exception not the rule. It works for me right now, but I had a lot to lose, so things may need to change as I gradually move into a lower range.

Regarding HRMs, I've been using one since mid-September. I had been exercising steadily for a few months before that. I was initially absolutely appalled by what my HRM estimated I was burning. It was much less than I thought I was burning (And no, I'm not taking into account MFP's inflated numbers; I don't know where it comes up with its ridiculously high burns for ellipticals.) I went through a period of trying to find someone who agreed with me that my HRM was "cheating" me out of the calories I was really burning. Most people told me that it was probably reasonably accurate. I finally accepted that maybe I hadn't been working as hard as I thought I had and used it to motivate me into working even harder. I've dropped more than 50 pounds since that time and my cardiovascular fitness is better than it ever has been in my life. So my point is that an HRM should be considered a tool, not a fountain of truth.

Your doctor may not be crazy but if her statement was as dogmatic as you indicate, it sounds like she is not a particularly flexible person. It's clear that you are not in sync with her and it would probably serve you best if you found a different doctor or at least sought a reliable (i.e., professional) opinion.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is challenge your doctor on her advise. Ask her for the research that supports her conclusions. If the doctor cannot or will not provide the evidence on which she relies, find someone who can/will.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yes, when in doubt ALWAYS go with the internet over a medical professional.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest getting a second opinion from a nutritionist, as PPs have stated. Just don't write off your doctor based on what a diet website/message board full of random people have to say.

I haven't given an opinion either way but there are lots of people here who have lost a great deal of weight by following MFP's plan, I wouldn't write them off either as their advice could be just as valid, they've been there and done that. I have had a lot of advice here that has helped me a lot more than my GP who suggested "an 800 calorie diet and plenty of exercise wouldn't do you any harm"
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I understand your reason for going to the doctor was for your 6 month checkup. Is that just for blood work? Were you there specifically for nutritional advice? I personally wouldn't get rid of her just because she said what she said. I have had doctor friends and they knew less about nutrition and healthy eating than I did. I would never ask my doctor about such things. I stick to why I am there and that is it. If something pops up in my blood work, then I might make mention of what is going on in my life.

To be honest, some doctors are not all that bright and don't educate themselves about new things.

You know what they call the person last in their class at med school? Doctor.
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to anything you read on the internet or in a message forum. Take the advice of your DR. he/she is a professional with a degree.

What do you call a med student who graduates at the bottom of his class? "Doctor"

That being said, obtaining a medical degree does not necessarily mean that one will be a good medical practitioner. Patients have every right to advocate for themselves, in fact, they should. Patients would do well to educate themselves and work as partners with their medical providers. A doctor that doesn't listen would be hard to partner-up with, moving on might be a necessary option to take. And in all fairness, a patient who is unreasonablle isn't a good partner either.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to anything you read on the internet or in a message forum. Take the advice of your DR. he/she is a professional with a degree.

What do you call a med student who graduates at the bottom of his class? "Doctor"

That being said, obtaining a medical degree does not necessarily mean that one will be a good medical practitioner. Patients have every right to advocate for themselves, in fact, they should. Patients would do well to educate themselves and work as partners with their medical providers. A doctor that doesn't listen would be hard to partner-up with, moving on might be a necessary option to take. And in all fairness, a patient who is unreasonablle isn't a good partner either.

Yes. the lowest worst doctor in the world did graduate. Someplace their is the worst Dr. They still have that degree.
    Your Dr would also have a working knowledge of your health history and what may be right for the patient. Yes. If you are not happy with your DR, then you should go find another one. I would go by what they say, before I went with some internet forum post.
  • rachielyon
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS.....That it disgusting and a complete abuse of her medical degree....Weight loss/caloric burn is different for EVERY person...there is no way to set a cookie cutter number and apply it to everybody. You can burn as many calories as your body can burn.....That's as simple as it is. Move - Burn - Lose. That woman is a moron. I have lost 70 lbs and i can GUARANTEE you that I have not eaten 1200 calories EVER during that journey....What a buffoon. I hope you find a new doctor soon!!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So I went to my Internist last week for my 6-month checkup, and just about everything she told me was against what I’ve learned and what I’ve read on MFP. I think I need to find a new doctor!

I was frustrated because I hadn’t lost any weight in over 3 weeks, but I’d started eating healthy (from eating whatever I wanted) and had added a 2nd round of exercising several days/week. When I mentioned I burn between 400 - 900 calories in a day through exercise, she said there is no way I could burn that many unless I was a younger, very athletic person. When I told her I used a heart rate monitor, she informed me those aren’t a reliable measure of caloric burn.

She also said the only way for me to lose weight is to eat 1200 calories per day, regardless of how much I exercise. And that if I don’t lose the weight now, I will really balloon up once I hit menopause (I’m 45). How’s that for encouragement?

So I think I’ll find a new doctor before my next checkup!

I had a PAC tell me that I was lying about my weight loss, that I couldn't possibly have lost the weight I said I had. When I offered to step on the scale, she said, "That won't be necessary--you couldn't have lost that much weight in that amount of time." In other words, she called me a liar, and then told me NO, she didn't want to see the actual proof. I walked over to the scale and weighed myself, and she REFUSED TO LOOK. Can you BELIEVE that?

Your doctor's coming across like an idiot. You're right to move on.

Kris
  • Dot1961
    Options
    WOW! LOL! I can't believe this! Are you serious? She sounds like the doctor from hell! She was no inspiration or encouragement at all! She sounds more like a saboteur! I don't blame you for finding another doctor. I would run, not walk to find another doctor. I am glad you are not giving up after that "advice"!
  • sandijojo
    Options
    I agree with your findings...find a new doc asap. I have learned the hard way that the dr. is not always right and you should go with your gut instincts. Good Luck!!
  • rachielyon
    Options
    I had my Dr. tell me I needed to up my exercise to 3 hrs a day b/c I hadn't lost any weight in 6 months. I was walking a mile, 3x a day with my american pitbull/mix who is a complete goofball on a leash. The Dr. said, well you should up your walks to 2 miles each then. Are you kidding?!?! After 2 years with this idiot I finally got her to test my thyroid and it turns out I have a thyroid disease and most of my gain could have been prevented if I hadn't been seeing such a fat phobic priss. I originally weighed 185 and wore a size 12/14 jeans when I started seeing her. I went up to a size 24 jeans before she agreed to test my thyroid. Tell me that isn't messed up!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    MFP advice conflicts with MFP advice.

I wouldn't ask a doctor for weight-loss advice any more than I would go to a dietician for a migraine. While both might offer input on either subject, I'm more inclined to listen to a fitness professional about fitness and a doctor about medical ephemera.

They'd both better be prepared to back up any advice with empirical data and research. I don't tolerate quackery.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's post so I may be repeating or this may have already been addressed . It is often in your best interest to get a second opinion on medical advice just for your piece of mind but DO NOT take what you read on MFP as that second opinion . Your M.D knows your specific medical history and has been trusted to give you advice based on what only you and the doctor know . I agree wholeheartedly that this does not sound right but I am not qualified to give you medical care or to second guess someone in the medical field . I also do not think that anyone qualified would want to give you advice without first going over your medical history and giving you an examination .
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I went to my Internist last week for my 6-month checkup, and just about everything she told me was against what I’ve learned and what I’ve read on MFP. I think I need to find a new doctor!

I was frustrated because I hadn’t lost any weight in over 3 weeks, but I’d started eating healthy (from eating whatever I wanted) and had added a 2nd round of exercising several days/week. When I mentioned I burn between 400 - 900 calories in a day through exercise, she said there is no way I could burn that many unless I was a younger, very athletic person. When I told her I used a heart rate monitor, she informed me those aren’t a reliable measure of caloric burn.

She also said the only way for me to lose weight is to eat 1200 calories per day, regardless of how much I exercise. And that if I don’t lose the weight now, I will really balloon up once I hit menopause (I’m 45). How’s that for encouragement?

So I think I’ll find a new doctor before my next checkup!

internist aren't specialized in weight loss- i would not trust her advice really. maybe you should see a nutritionist or start with a pt?
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    So basically, because your doctor didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, and her advice conflicts with the advice you get on a message board full of mostly people who have very little actual knowledge of metabolic processes, aging, and nutrition science, you think she sucks and you should find a new doctor? Her job isn't to "encourage" you. I'm sorry to disagree with just about everyone, but I think you're writing your doc off a little too quickly. Why not actually try what she advised you to do, and see what happens?

The more you weigh... the more you need to eat to ensure your body doesn't starve. If you weight 200 pounds (for instance), you will absolutely need to eat significantly more than 1200 calories a day, and that's in order to LOSE 1-1.5 pounds a week. The BMR doesn't lie... it's slightly different depending on the person but not THAT different.

I also think the doctor is a quack.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So basically, because your doctor didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, and her advice conflicts with the advice you get on a message board full of mostly people who have very little actual knowledge of metabolic processes, aging, and nutrition science, you think she sucks and you should find a new doctor? Her job isn't to "encourage" you. I'm sorry to disagree with just about everyone, but I think you're writing your doc off a little too quickly. Why not actually try what she advised you to do, and see what happens?

I agree! Not that doctors are the all knowing, but MFP gives a general calculations with exercise and caloric intake, or you could always get a second opinion and see what another doctor has to say
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    your doctor is an idiot and shouldn't be practising medicine....
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, you need to have a doctor that you trust. You've lost trust in this doctor so it's time to move on.
  • peapodkris
    Options
    I agee that it is time for a new doc!
    My doc does not always agree with my choices, but her attitude is that I should be expending more than I am taking in while eating foods that are good for me. I have changed my diet up quite a bit in the past year and am down 30 pounds so far, 70 more to go!
    Good luck on your journey to being healthier & finding a doc who works better with & for you : )