Doctor advice conflicts with MFP

Options
123457»

Replies

• foodsafetyguru
    foodsafetyguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Excellent response badger! 1 stamper...weight loss is not a black and white issue and is a dynamic process. eating too few Calories may result in weight loss in the short term...but it's not sustainable if you're exercising. MFP recomendations are subject to some error, but is much more accurate than a blanket 1200 kcal recomendation for everyone. If you hit a plateau, you may need to change up your routine since your body adapts to exercise and gets more efficient over time. review portion sizes, etc. Switching to a different type of exercise on a regular basis will use different muscles and keep your body on its toes. This is the whole idea behind cross training.

The person that has the most stake in your health is you. If the doctor is not a good partner, then leave that one for someone who will spend the time to personalize your health care. Good job taking your health care into your own hands. Since it was mentioned that most on MFP are uninformed, my education is in Food Science and Human Nutrition, Anatomy and Neurobiology.
  • Cylindad
    Options
    I agree, and doctors get VERY little training in nutrition. They are trained to write on a script pad.
    And the LESS they write on the script pad, the LESS they get paid!
    Can you imagine if more people took care of their bodies, the LESS they would have to go to the doctor and their paychecks would dwindle rapidly!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get a new doc if only for the reason that you probably wont' be comfortable talking to her about issues anymore. She seemed abrupt and judgmental. I also agree with the thought that you should ALWAYS question your doctor. They're human and fallible. If you think they're wrong, talk to some one else.

She is correct about the inaccuracy of an HRM. However, it is the best at home calorie burn estimator. I would recommend getting your resting metabolic rate tested. It's really simple. You sit and breath in a tube for 10 minutes. It's the most accurate picture of what you as an individual burn.

If you want an accurate view of your physical fitness, I would recommend Vo2 Max testing. I'm not sure if this includes any type of caloric burn calculation.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Im always have apprehensions about eating back exercise calories. the calculations on here are over stated and HRMs are not a fool proof way. i shudder to think of how many of the "help im not losing" posters are overeater blindly for eating back what they "burned"
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll join the choir - your doctor gave you terrible advice.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I agree.. try what she said.. At least you tried. THEN prove her wrong-if needed. We don't honestly know how many calories we are truly burning. No watch can be 100% accurate. This is why I advise not eating exercise calories.
    So basically, because your doctor didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, and her advice conflicts with the advice you get on a message board full of mostly people who have very little actual knowledge of metabolic processes, aging, and nutrition science, you think she sucks and you should find a new doctor? Her job isn't to "encourage" you. I'm sorry to disagree with just about everyone, but I think you're writing your doc off a little too quickly. Why not actually try what she advised you to do, and see what happens?
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    When you decide to look for another Doctor is Sugest zocdoc.com. Its a great website that allows you to see the docs profile and reviews from patients about bed side manner, etc.

I use this website because I deal with doctors on a daily basis and I know they all have different personal options that sometimes conflict with my life style. anyway. give it a try :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd say listen to the doctor BUT this is an exception. Having been a person that lost all my baby weight after having three kids in just under a year (twins Oct and another baby the next august) I'm calling out that lie! I never EVER counted calories and lost all the baby weight and looked the best I ever have in my life. Get a new doctor.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of thoughts on this.

My doctor was honest with me and said nutrition and weight loss wasn't necessarily her speciality and had me see a nutritionist she often sends patients to for more specific, individualized consultation. I think this is the norm for most doctors who are not nutritionists. They may not be up to speed on the current research.

Also, notice how there are many different schools of thought for weight loss from nutrition to exercise on these boards? That's no different in the medical field. There are a lot of different schools of weight loss, some work for some people and others, not so much.

When it comes to health, I always go with my gut. If you feel like she isn't giving you the best possible advice or you're just not sure it works with what you've researched, go see a different doctor. Compare opinions. Seek one who specializes in working with women who have weight to lose and want to get healthy. Speak directly with a nutritionist if you can. You may get two wildly different opinions, or you might not. But at least you'll have done your due diligence and not gone forward with something that just didn't feel right to you.

When it comes to healthcare, the patient ALWAYS has the right to speak up. Doctors are awesome but they are also human. They might not have read all the newest research in one area that isn't their specialty. It doesn't make them bad doctors necessarily, but it pays to seek more advice.
  • Cris725
    Options
    I'm a medical assistant and I have worked for many different doctors. And none of them knew everything and they all had different opinions. Never be afraid to go for a second opinion. At the end of the day, no one really knows your body like you do. A good doctor will take that in to consideration and even talk openly with you about why their opinion may differ from yours and be willing to explain it to you.
  • kitavery
    kitavery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might not rush to dump the doctor but a second opinion is always useful.
    Yes, it is harder to lose at this weight but there are also a lot of other factors at play when our bodies are changing, and hormone levels have a lot to do with things.
    There are a lot of really great books on perimenopause that spell out why it is hard to lose weight at this age and what can be done about it.

I agree. I had a hysterectomy back in November (at 35) and it has made loosing weight harder then before even though I am on hormones. As hormones change and you get older the amount of calories needed does change regardless or what MFP says. Your dr sounded insensitive which is what would make me mad and want to change....however her info may not be too of base. Your body could be perimenopause and not even know it.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Im always have apprehensions about eating back exercise calories. the calculations on here are over stated and HRMs are not a fool proof way. i shudder to think of how many of the "help im not losing" posters are overeater blindly for eating back what they "burned"

^this is spot on.

:drinker:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Two years ago when I had a cold and could not afford to take sick days from work, I saw a GP who told me that chicken noodle soup and bed rest are the best ways to beat the common cold. I just wanted an antibiotic so I could get back to work as quickly as possible. And why would I pay a doctor to tell me to eat chicken noodle soup? I could have just called my mom and got that answer. Needless to say, that doctor is no longer with the practice due to her hippie methods not helping patients.

Why would you need an antibiotic for a cold. Not trying to start a fight but you usually don't go to get an antibiotic for a common cold. If you take an antibiotic for every cold, sore throat etc you could build up antibiotic-resistance infections. That isn't hippy talk, the CDC will tell you the same thing.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Two years ago when I had a cold and could not afford to take sick days from work, I saw a GP who told me that chicken noodle soup and bed rest are the best ways to beat the common cold. I just wanted an antibiotic so I could get back to work as quickly as possible. And why would I pay a doctor to tell me to eat chicken noodle soup? I could have just called my mom and got that answer. Needless to say, that doctor is no longer with the practice due to her hippie methods not helping patients.

Why would you need an antibiotic for a cold. Not trying to start a fight but you usually don't go to get an antibiotic for a common cold. If you take an antibiotic for every cold, sore throat etc you could build up antibiotic-resistance infections. That isn't hippy talk, the CDC will tell you the same thing.

True. A cold is a virus, and antibiotics don't treat viruses. They only treat bacterial infections. Taking antibiotics for colds is one of the reasons so many antibiotics don't work anymore.

Your doc was spot-on, though I might also recommend a neti pot, lots of fluids, and an OTC decongestant/expectorant.

Kris