what the hell is Splenda?

Options
ZERO calories?? you mean I've been drowning my coffee in REAL sugar for X amount of calories when I could have been drowning it in Splenda for ZERO?!?! why didn't anyone tell me this before?.... :drinker:

Replies

• amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    love splenda I even add it to some recipes
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Truvia is better - natural alternative and also available at major groceries.
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well its basically chlorinated sugar.....
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Splenda makes my belly roll like a ball on a playground.BAD..........LOL
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    it tastes like crap.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Splenda has been around for years but I find leaves an after taste
    BUT I have found a new thing called TRUVIA - this is a natural sweetener and ZERO cals
    & I think tastes a whole lot better then the other sweeteners
    Might b worth a try :drinker:
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Another artificial sweetner. I used it occasionally until now. Truvia (from the stevia plant) is better, natural alternative.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    real sugar is better
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Splenda gave me headaches! I use Stevia now and love it:love:
  • athensguy
    Options
    I would think you should quit putting any of that stuff in your coffee.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    n-a--s-t-y
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I too prefer real sugar to anything that is more processed and chemically altered but on those occasions where I don't want the added calories, I do use stevia.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    Splenda has been around for years but I find leaves an after taste
    BUT I have found a new thing called TRUVIA - this is a natural sweetener and ZERO cals
    & I think tastes a whole lot better then the other sweeteners
    Might b worth a try :drinker:

it sure does leave an after taste. Tried it for first time today while making coffee at work. Hope it doesn't upset my super sensitive stomach. Will have to try Truvia. I just can't believe I never took the time to check out other alternative sweeteners. The REAL sugar in my coffee was killing my calorie bank. Nothing will ever beat the real thing but it's nice to see the big difference in calories for my breakfast. I can never give up my sweet coffee!!
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    I would think you should quit putting any of that stuff in your coffee.

Wish I could. I've actually cut back A LOT on sugar. Baby steps. baby steps.....
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to go on how horrible artificial sweeteners are for you and just tell you instead that it's not calorie free.
    They can do this by using a loop hole in the food packaging laws. If something has less than 5 calories a serving it can be legally labelled as calorie free. Splenda is actually 4 cals a serving.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1) The first ingredient in Truvia is erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. The second ingredient is rebiana, which is a highly purified stevia derivative. Natural is a bit of a misnomer in the case of Truvia. If you want to eat something natural, get accustomed to things being less sweet, and eat small amounts of raw sugar.
    2) If you want to talk about bad aftertastes, add even a tiny bit too much stevia to something.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats because splenda is made from the backbones of enslaved unicorns. Anything unicorn related has zero calories. It was a big controversy as many did not like that unicorns were being forced to make splenda but that all passed
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Unicorns are better put to use fertilizing my Organic spinach which grows under rainbows.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thats because splenda is made from the backbones of enslaved unicorns. Anything unicorn related has zero calories. It was a big controversy as many did not like that unicorns were being forced to make splenda but that all passed

dang FDA will approve anything.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ideal sweetener (xylitol) is the best non-caloric sweetener in my opinion, hands down. It's all natural and looks/tastes almost exactly like sugar.

Love it! I'll never use Splenda again after trying it.

672-0004.jpg