what the hell is Splenda?

Options

Replies

• splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For all of those that cut down on sugar, good for you! If they are looking for something more natural other than sugar try Agave nectar it's got a much more natural taste that Splenda and Stevia.

Second this....First try to eliminate, if youcan't go natural with agave syrup, and it does not take much.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    i have splenda everyday. 4 packets (two per cup) in my morning coffee. leaves no after taste and is the closet tasting thing to real sugar i have found. love it!
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I could sing a song about how much I love splenda! Too bad you guys can't hear it! :flowerforyou:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ideal sweetener (xylitol) is the best non-caloric sweetener in my opinion, hands down. It's all natural and looks/tastes almost exactly like sugar.

Love it! I'll never use Splenda again after trying it.

XYLITOL FRIENDS UNITE!

We use so much xylitol in this house. It's zero-carb, but low-cal, and I think it's only a 7 on the GI (sugar is 100). It's the best!

I tasted splenda and all the other alternatives and they all taste like I licked the ground at the scene of a chemical spill. That includes stevia. Also, there are a couple documentaries on the subject of sweeteners that are pretty interesting called Sweet Deception and Sweet Remedy.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Splenda is no good. I did a research paper in college about how horrible it is for you, and even contacted the company. They were frantic, sending me videos and reading material about how Splenda is good for you. Regardless, I made my paper public. Please do not use the stuff.
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think people should know there are chemicals in white sugar too. Sugar isn't naturally white like that.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ideal sweetener (xylitol) is the best non-caloric sweetener in my opinion, hands down. It's all natural and looks/tastes almost exactly like sugar.

Love it! I'll never use Splenda again after trying it.

672-0004.jpg

I have never seen Ideal before. Where in the world is it? Do I need to go to the Vitamin Shoppe?
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Stevia is certainly the better choice from a natural perspective. No calories in it either and it's not processed with harmful chemicals in the way that splenda, and other artificial sweeteners are. Give it a try! My favorite is Stevia in the raw. :heart:

Note: I didn't read through the whole forum so I'm not sure if others have already provided input on Stevia.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    real sugar is better

Yup.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ahh never heard of xylitol. Might give that go. However, in all essence, I rarely use any sweeteners anyway since I've cut out sweets and don't add any sweeteners to my coffee these days. I do appreciate the info however!
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thats because splenda is made from the backbones of enslaved unicorns. Anything unicorn related has zero calories. It was a big controversy as many did not like that unicorns were being forced to make splenda but that all passed

That is THE BEST!!! LOLOLOL!!!!!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The worst part about ANY artificial sweetener is trying to make ICED TEA without it coagulating. Is saccharin the only sweetener (including sugar) that dissolves in cold water?
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This post comes at a perfect time! I just bought a box of Truvia on Tuesday. I am a phenylketonuric, meaning I can't process the chemical phenylalanine (Equal, Nutrasweet, aspartame) it gives me raging migraines and causes mood swings. So no 'sugar-free' or 'diet' products for me.
    I have heard lots of stuff about Truvia and Stevia and thought I would try it to replace the sugar in my coffee. It does have an after taste and i'm not sure my tummy likes it. I did put it in my coffee this morning and only drank half the cup because it tasted off and I do love my coffee! So i'm going to try and finish off the box and see if I get used to it.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to be a splenda junkie until I read that when consumed the liver just really didn't know what to do with it. My liver has enough to do so I decided to switch to stevia. It is a flavor worth getting used to. And it comes in handy little bottles of liquid with droppers. My favorite flavors are vanilla creme and valencia orange (great in iced or hot teas)
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I use splenda all the time. So what if it's 'fake'. I'll still use it for my coffee & hot tea.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This post comes at a perfect time! I just bought a box of Truvia on Tuesday. I am a phenylketonuric, meaning I can't process the chemical phenylalanine (Equal, Nutrasweet, aspartame) it gives me raging migraines and causes mood swings. So no 'sugar-free' or 'diet' products for me.
    I have heard lots of stuff about Truvia and Stevia and thought I would try it to replace the sugar in my coffee. It does have an after taste and i'm not sure my tummy likes it. I did put it in my coffee this morning and only drank half the cup because it tasted off and I do love my coffee! So i'm going to try and finish off the box and see if I get used to it.

If you don't end up liking it, give xylitol a shot. You can read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

(I don't know why, but I can't get that link clickable.. copy-paste it to your address bar)
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    WelcomeToTheWorld_2129_spr1.jpg
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Although I have my doubts that anything will replace my sweet -n- low; I am willing to give xylitol a try. Off to Kroger I go later.

Anyone have a coupon? :-)
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love splenda, I like my tea really sweet but with sugar it leaves a 'gloopy' (lol, cant think of the right word for it) feel/taste in my mouth, but 2 pips of splenda is just right for me, Makes it sweet without the aftertaste of sugar!!

Have to have sugar in my coffee though (have not had coffee since before xmas!!)

xx
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    it tastes like crap.

...in coffee

i don't mind it in some baking... and can deal with it in tea.

i'll take those few calories to avoid it if i can though.