Stereotypes are awesome...

Options

Replies

• KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm male with long hair. I look a little rough with it down sometimes. Panhandlers look the other way and won't even approach me, even in downtown Atlanta.

JM

Yeah my boyfriend gets this a lot. His hair is nearly 4 ft long and the first time some people meet him (whether down or in a slicked back ponytail) many automatically assume he must be a miscreant of some kind. What is it that makes people think that long hair on a guy equates to dirt bag?

Myself, I'm a teacher but I look very young (especially since dropping 40 lbs last year). My first day on the job (I was 24 at the time) I overheard lots of "Who's the new kid?". No matter how professionally I dress I never fail to get those people and students who show a lack of respect because I "look too young" to be a teacher, therefore I must not be any good at it.

It's ok though. Once they get to know me the stereotype is usually lost AND as a bonus, I know in 20 years I'm really going to appreciate looking nearly 10 years younger than I actually am! :drinker:
  • One of the women that works at doggie daycare asked me if I was cooking spanish rice or chimichongas the previous night because my dog smelled like Hispanic food. I told her that I don't use seasoning on my food/or eat salsa and she didn't believe me. She kept pressing me and when I told her I had fresh cocktail shrimp with cooked spinach she asked me if I stuffed them in a tortilla...LOL

OMG! I seriously hope she was joking!

LMAO she was totally serious. I was so surprised by the situation that I just stared at her with my mouth open.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    One of the women that works at doggie daycare asked me if I was cooking spanish rice or chimichongas the previous night because my dog smelled like Hispanic food. I told her that I don't use seasoning on my food/or eat salsa and she didn't believe me. She kept pressing me and when I told her I had fresh cocktail shrimp with cooked spinach she asked me if I stuffed them in a tortilla...LOL

Seriously?! Wow.. i really hope she was just joking. No lie that would annoy me.

People think my family is in the mob.... yeah no.
    I am not from Jersey Shore, i am not orange.

Then on the other hand people think i'm Hispanic? Eh people can think what they want too, i am who i am. Judge me from a far thats your problem, get to know me on the other hand.. sh1t thats still your problem =)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I can relate to this is well.

I have DD's and a Masters Degree (but I'm also a horrible typer...LOL)
    I am white and from the South but I am certianly not raciest. But I guess I do make jokes about Yankee's but they are just jokes and I have great freinds form New England and Ohio

Oh and by the way I am white with blonde hair and blue eyes and German...as far as I know no one in my family was a Nazi. The German part of my family moved to ther US right before the Civli war and lived in Iowa.

People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I can relate to this is well.

I have DD's and a Masters Degree (but I'm also a horrible typer...LOL)
    I am white and from the South but I am certianly not raciest. But I guess I do make jokes about Yankee's but they are just jokes and I have great freinds form New England and Ohio

Oh and by the way I am white with blonde hair and blue eyes and German...as far as I know no one in my family was a Nazi. The German part of my family moved to ther US right before the Civli war and lived in Iowa.

People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

OH I forgot the racist one too!!! UGH SO ANNOYING!
  • Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to get stereotyped ALL the time... and like many others it was because i have E's, blonde hair, blue eyes and have a flirty nature and come from the North East England (Geordie Shore anyone?).. therefore obviously i dont have anything going for me in the noggin and im the easiest slut going... when in actual fact im a university graduate (primary school teacher) and have been with my boyfriend for 9 years (faithfully might i add).

But i do love a good stereotype... chavs especially:explode: javascript:add_smiley('explode','post_body')

xx
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One of the women that works at doggie daycare asked me if I was cooking spanish rice or chimichongas the previous night because my dog smelled like Hispanic food. I told her that I don't use seasoning on my food/or eat salsa and she didn't believe me. She kept pressing me and when I told her I had fresh cocktail shrimp with cooked spinach she asked me if I stuffed them in a tortilla...LOL

seriously thats almost upsetting! I like the stereotype that because Im Hispanic all I eat are spicy foods. or i have to have jalapenos on everything....which i rarely eat...
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've got some:

I'm automatically afiliated with the mafia because I'm 1/2 Italian, then they ask why they let women in the mafia...
    That I know all the rules to Bocce Ball (lawn bowling)
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I must know Shania Twain
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I ride polar bears to school/work, have no running water, and live in an ice hut (no joke... )
    If I'm friendly and bubbly (which i am 99% of the time) that I'm not intelligent or serious.
    B/c I'm a girl, I shouldn't know anything about cars, or like them for that matter.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So I guess the sterotype, once a b1tch always a b1tch, fits here.
    That's not so much a stereotype as it an embroidered pillow phrase.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I work at a job with Gov't assistance. I work with many families that have lived off the system for generations...Since I am white, young, and dress square I am often tested by ppl trying to hustle the system and play me for a fool from all race groups. I am often called racist when I catch them up and terminate assistance...really??? My children are black and I terminate white ppl too...LOL. We have all races of ppl that are trying to get over on us, but often the "you're racist" comment comes from black families which makes me sad. This is such a generational out for many families...I have responded with "your behavior has absolutely nothing to do with it right?" I have many black families that are perfect on the program and trying their best to get off of it, why are you mooching?? I am a non-discriminatory terminator...LOL. I love the expression on their faces when they yell at my front desk and tell them I'm racist then the front desk tells them about my kids. That comment doesn't get repeated after that...
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    429700_1834345396542_1777671004_924053_1827548016_n.jpg

It's so funny how we stereotype people based on the way they look.
    I'm often stereotyped as a brainiac control-freak just because... oh, wait. That's a valid stereotype. Never mind about me. :bigsmile:
    There are, however, lots of people who are stereotyped because of their appearance or reputation when they are, in fact, not like that at all.
    Any stereotypes you've been placed into that just don't fit?

Umm... I don't get the joke. Am I dense? They're both convicted felons. I think Snoop's last felony conviction was in 2007...
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oh... I've got plenty...

Dumb blonde with big boobs. Excuse me, but I graduate Magna Cum Laude with my Bachelors degree, and I am currently working on my Masters in Occupational Therapy with a 3.93 GPA in my last semester... so bite me. And boobs (areolar tissue and fat) have NOTHING to do with intelligence!

I'm white therefore I'm rich and "privileged". I've stood in line at food pantries and live off of student loans. I came to school with $10 in my bank account after working 60+ hours a week over the summer to help my newly divorce father with bills, etc... again bite me.

I have a Texas Southern drawl therefore I must be slow... hahaha go ahead and try me. I am quick to respond and put you in your place! I am a true believer in Southern hospitality, but I can pop an attitude when needed.

I am a woman, andI have driven dirt track racecars... so yes, believe it or not, I am a good driver!! WHO KNEW!?!?!? And no, I am not a lesbian just because I like guy sports (another stereotype in itself).

And no, I DO NOT RIDE A HORSE TO SCHOOL!!!!!

I too would like to cum laude... :laugh: ...anyway.. random movie line.

People assume that just because I live by the border that I have a "mexican accent". But i really just sound like everyone else. I do not sound like Consuelo from Family Guy! LOL
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

seriously thats almost upsetting! I like the stereotype that because Im Hispanic all I eat are spicy foods. or i have to have jalapenos on everything....which i rarely eat...
    I think, based on that stereotype, I must be a closet Hispanic (if you disregard the fact that I'm basically all German and have reddish hair and freckles). All I eat are spicy foods and I have to have jalapenos on everything (well, ALMOST everything).

• People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

They called you a YANKEE because you were from ALASKA?! LOL That doesn't even make sense...Alaska wasn't even part of the United States during the Civil War...
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    because i'm overweight i sit here stuffing my face with crappy food all day long.. don't exercise and smoke because i have a smokers cough... << aha yeah right~!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I've been stereotyped. Pretty accurately though.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    that i have 4-6 kids because i'm hispanic...

i have 0.

OMG.....ppl are always surprise when I tell them I have 0 kids. Almost as if because Im Hispanic im some sort of Baby making robot. Don't get me wrong....i like to practice making babies but no vajaja has ever been hurt by the soldiers penetrating its walls

:noway:

Was that too much? Its true. No uterus has ever been destroyed by my Soldiers of fortune

hahahaha!!! you guys are on a roll this morning!!! too funny!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    that i have 4-6 kids because i'm hispanic...

i have 0.

OMG.....ppl are always surprise when I tell them I have 0 kids. Almost as if because Im Hispanic im some sort of Baby making robot. Don't get me wrong....i like to practice making babies but no vajaja has ever been hurt by the soldiers penetrating its walls

:noway:

Was that too much? Its true. No uterus has ever been destroyed by my Soldiers of fortune
    Honestly, it was funny enough that I almost spit out my water.

Or since I do not impregnate woman you could be spitting out something........crap i think im crossing the line here :laugh: :laugh:

That reminds me, Chuck...ultrasound next Wednesday at 8am.... :indifferent:

I told you, We Hispanics are so fertile that I can look at you and still get you pregnant. Crap!! Ill be there
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've got some:

I'm automatically afiliated with the mafia because I'm 1/2 Italian, then they ask why they let women in the mafia...
    That I know all the rules to Bocce Ball (lawn bowling)
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I must know Shania Twain
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I ride polar bears to school/work, have no running water, and live in an ice hut (no joke... )
    If I'm friendly and bubbly (which i am 99% of the time) that I'm not intelligent or serious.
    B/c I'm a girl, I shouldn't know anything about cars, or like them for that matter.

Haha this reminded me of what people say to me when I tell them I'm from Alaska. I must have rode a polar bear, lived in an igloo, am an eskimo, drive a dog pulled sled, and it is cold and snows all the time!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do not sound like Consuelo from Family Guy! LOL
    We need more Lemon Pledge, misser.