Stereotypes are awesome...

Options

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    OH yes, I've been placed in a few of these...

I grew up in the South and had quite the drawl when I moved to NJ in 8th grade. Because I refused to stop saying y'all, the other kids assumed I was Southern and Stupid. I was one of the smartest kids in my class.

Because I had seizures kids assumed I was stupid.

When I moved back to the South they thought I was a yankee b/c I lost my drawl except for saying y'all. So they expected me to be rude. (That's a myth folks. Just 'cause they don't bag your groceries doesn't mean everyone's rude up there.)

Because I'm obese people assume I'm also weak. I'm not. I can easily lift a 50 lb or heavier child without strain. I can leg press 600 lbs. I've also earned my red belt in tae kwon do-while being overweight. I can defend myself, as more than one person has learned to their detriment.

Also because I'm obese people assume I am lazy. Oh wait, that one's right on, though I doubt it has anything to do with my weight. It's just one that I constantly work to overcome. :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of stereotypes placed on me honestly. People have a tendency to assume women who are big busted are "bimbos" so I have been placed in that category a lot (totally untrue). I live in the South but am originally from the North and have been called a "yankee" (although I'm from Alaska and we had no involvement in the Confederate war whatsoever). Also because I am white and live in the South, African Americans tend to assume I'm racist (untrue as I said, I'm not from here so I didn't grow up around racism against them because there were very few where I grew up to speak of). Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

All Southern White people born and bred in the South aren't racist either. Just sayin'.

I definitely know that. My boyfriend has lived in the south his whole life and I have lived here for 11 years now. Just saying how can you be racist against a specific group of people that you were never even exposed to growing up? Not saying all white people from the south are racist by any means, although lots of people think that is the case.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children, so people assume that I'm easy, and they must have different fathers.
    Who assumes that anyone with 4 kids is easy and had them with different fathers?

Do they all look incredibly different, or something?
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    got this in an email last year... seemed fitting :)

I'm EMO, so I MUST cut my wrists
    I'm BLACK, so I MUST carry a gun.
    I'm HISPANIC, so I MUST be dirty.
    I'm ASIAN, so I MUST be smart.
    I'm NOT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, so I MUST be a loser.
    I'm JEWISH, so I MUST be greedy.
    I'm GAY, so I MUST have AIDS.
    I'm a LESBIAN, so I MUST have a sex-tape.
    I'm ARAB, so I MUST be a terrorist.
    I SPEAK MY MIND, so I MUST be a *****.
    I'm OVERWEIGHT, so I MUST have a problem with self control.
    I'm RELIGIOUS, so I MUST shove my beliefs down your throat.
    I'm an ATHEIST, so I MUST hate the world.
    I DON'T HAVE A RELIGION, so I MUST not have morals.
    I'm REPUBLICAN, so I MUST not care about poor people.
    I'm DEMOCRAT, so I MUST not believe in being responsible.
    I'm JAMAICAN, so I MUST smoke weed.
    I am LIBERAL, so I MUST be gay.
    I'm SOUTHERN, so I MUST be white trash.
    I take ANTI-DEPRESSANTS, so I MUST be crazy
    I'm a GUY, so I MUST only want to get into your pants.
    I'm IRISH, so I MUST have a bad drinking problem.
    I'm INDIAN, so I MUST own a convenient store.
    I'm NATIVE AMERICAN, so I MUST dance around a fire screaming like a savage.
    I'm PREPPY, so I MUST shun those who don't wear Abercrombie & Hollister.
    I'm a CHEERLEADER, so I MUST be a stuck up *kitten*.
    I'm on a DANCE team, so I must be stupid, stuck up, and a *kitten*
    I wear SKIRTS a lot, so I MUST be a slut.
    I'm a PUNK, so I MUST do drugs.
    I'm YOUNG, so I MUST be naive
    I'm RICH, so I MUST be a conceited snob.
    I WEAR BLACK, so I MUST be a goth.
    I'm BLONDE, so I MUST be a stupid ditz.
    I'm a WHITE GIRL, so I MUST be a nagging, steal-your-money kind of girlfriend.
    I'm CUBAN, so I MUST spend my spare time rolling cigars.
    I'm MEXICAN, so I MUST have hopped the border.
    I'm NOT A VIRGIN, so I MUST be easy.
    I FELL IN LOVE WITH A MARRIED MAN, so I MUST be a home-wrecking *kitten*.
    I'm a TEENAGE MOM, so I MUST be an irresponsible slut.
    I'm POLISH, so I MUST wear my socks with my sandals.
    I'm ITALIAN, so I MUST be part of the Mafia.
    I GOT A CAR FOR MY BIRTHDAY, so I MUST be a spoiled brat.
    I'm PRETTY, so I MUST not be a virgin.
    I HAVE STRAIGHT A'S, so I MUST have no social life.
    I DYE MY HAIR CRAZY COLORS, so I MUST be looking for attention.
    I DRESS IN UNUSUAL WAYS so I MUST be looking for attention.
    I'm INTO THEATER ART, so I MUST be a homosexual.
    I'm a VEGETARIAN, so I MUST be a crazy political activist.
    I HAVE A BUNCH OF GUY FRIENDS, so I MUST be ****ing them all.
    I HAVE A BUNCH OF GIRLS WHO ARE FRIENDS, so I MUST be gay
    I HAVE BIG BOOBS, so I MUST be a *kitten*.
    I'm COLOMBIAN, so I MUST be a drug dealer.
    I WEAR WHAT I WANT, so I MUST be a poser.
    I'm RUSSIAN, so I MUST be cool.
    I'm GERMAN, so I MUST be a Nazi.
    I hang out with GAYS, so I MUST be GAY TOO.
    I'm BRAZILIAN, so I MUST have a BIG BUTT.
    I'm PUERTO RICAN, so I MUST look good and be conceited.
    I'm SALVADORIAN, so I MUST be in MS 13.
    I'm POLISH, so I MUST be greedy.
    I'm HAWAIIAN, so I MUST be lazy.
    I'm a STONER, so I MUST be going in the wrong direction.
    I'm a VIRGIN, so I MUST be a prude.
    I'm a FEMALE GAMER, so I MUST be ugly or crazy.
    I'm BLACK, so I MUST love watermelon and fried chicken.
    I'm BI, so I MUST think every person I see is hot.
    I'm ASIAN, so I MUST have a small penis.
    I'm a GUY CHEERLEADER, so I MUST be gay.
    I'm SKINNY, so I MUST be anorexic.
    I'm PREP, so I MUST be rich.
    I dont like the SUN, so I MUST be albino.
    I have a lot of FRIENDS, so I MUST love to drink and party
    I wear tight PANTS and I'm a guy, so I MUST be emo.
    I wear GLASSES so I MUST be a geek
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    that i have 4-6 kids because i'm hispanic...

i have 0.

OMG.....ppl are always surprise when I tell them I have 0 kids. Almost as if because Im Hispanic im some sort of Baby making robot. Don't get me wrong....i like to practice making babies but no vajaja has ever been hurt by the soldiers penetrating its walls

:noway:

Was that too much? Its true. No uterus has ever been destroyed by my Soldiers of fortune
    Honestly, it was funny enough that I almost spit out my water.

Or since I do not impregnate woman you could be spitting out something........crap i think im crossing the line here :laugh: :laugh:

That reminds me, Chuck...ultrasound next Wednesday at 8am.... :indifferent:

I told you, We Hispanics are so fertile that I can look at you and still get you pregnant. Crap!! Ill be there

MMhmm...Never come to my store again! And stay away from my Renee!!!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

They called you a YANKEE because you were from ALASKA?! LOL That doesn't even make sense...Alaska wasn't even part of the United States during the Civil War...

Exactly, I can't tell you how many times I have said that to people! People around here call everyone who is not from the south a yankee!

Isn't everyone who is from North of the Mason Dixon line a Yankee? And really, is it a real line...like did they go out there with spray paint and mark the spot? I have family in the south, and I swear they talk about the Mason Dixon line as though it is some form of religious icon!

Hm...that's interesting. Personally, I always thought that Yankee referred to those that fought against the North, which is why I wouldn't count Alaskans as part of that group...but anyway on that point I also wanted to say I live in the South and if I had a penny for every time I heard the Civil War referred to as "The War of Northern Aggression" LOL

HAHA the War of Northern Aggression? I have actually never heard that before lol. Yankees are people who fought in the civil war against the south by definition in the US, however it refers to ANYONE from the US when you are talking to people from outside the US. It has somehow gotten lost in translation I suppose.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I only read the first page... but I also get a double whammy... people believe that I should be some ignorant and introverted, religious zealot because I was taught at home. I always get the whole "You were homeschooled? I never would have guessed!" usually implying the stereotype... and I'm a Military Brat, thus the introvert (as we are supposedly not good at making friends because we change them so often) stereotype again...
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

And no, I DO NOT RIDE A HORSE TO SCHOOL!!!!!

Because I have a horse I'm posh and rich! Lol!

The true is, because I have a horse I am poor as I spend all my wages on her, and in my free time I'm covered in mud and smell like horse!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    nevermind... my reply was redundant. ;-)
  • MomsTooBig
    MomsTooBig Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children, so people assume that I'm easy, and they must have different fathers.
    Who assumes that anyone with 4 kids is easy and had them with different fathers?

Do they all look incredibly different, or something?

The girls look the same, and their brother different (he has my hair colour eyes)

It is silly, but shows like Maury and Springer etc paint this picture. Being on assistance at the moment doesn't help either. Most of the poor treatment or 'assumptions' being made are on a government/city level, not personal (by people around me/on the street I mean).
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have a few more -

I have lost a ton of weight, so I must have eliminated carbs, taken pills, gotten surgery, or done something else drastic (as opposed to eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and moving my body).

Because I got pregnant at 17, I must have been skanky and trashy. I actually graduated high school a year early, salutatorian of my class, and was a virgin prior to my son's bio-father (who fortunately is out of the picture and has been for a long time) and, until we got married, my hubby and I were celibate throughout the course of our dating/engaged relationship.

Because I am tall, I must be good at basketball. Nope.

Because I love romantic movies and fluffy romance novels, I must be a hopeless romantic. I am just about the most UNromantic woman you'll ever meet - extremely practical and logical - romantic movies and books are escapes from reality.

Because I am a woman, I must love to shop. It is, in fact, probably my least favorite thing on the planet. I think I'd rather have my teeth pulled without Novocaine. I *hate* shopping.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    -That I am loud mouth (no I am not, being loud is so unnecessary and embarrassing)
    -Some people are surprise when I say I am in college and I'm going to graduate school for Applied Behavior Analysis and etc etc and that I "speak intelligent"<--- I get this all the time. "Oh wow you speak very intelligent"
    -They assume I love what's consider "soul food" or fried anything which in fact I don't eat that stuff and don't like it. I love Italian and grilled chicken salads. Fix me that and I'm happy.
    -I have an Amernian friend who reference stuff from I guess hip hop music videos (and 99.9% of the time I have no clue what he is talking about) I finally told him to stop doing that and assuming I just listen/know that stuff because I don't.

I am completely the opposite from the stereotypes. I'm not loud, I love learning alot, I speak well, I don't like soul food, and I like other kinds of music not hip hop.

Yes these stereotypyes I get all the time because I'm African American. I get a lot of racist ones too but I won't go there

:/
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Isn't everyone who is from North of the Mason Dixon line a Yankee? And really, is it a real line...like did they go out there with spray paint and mark the spot? I have family in the south, and I swear they talk about the Mason Dixon line as though it is some form of religious icon!
    It is a real line, but more like a border line...

Driving from Ontario to Texas, going through West Virginia we stop at the most stereotypical gas station in the world. Dog on the front porch, old man on the other side chewing tobacco etc.
    We get some snacks, gruff man behind the counter...
    Him "You a Yankee, you sound like a Yankee."
    In the back, his wife I assume "You be QUIET EARL they ain't Yankees!"
    Me "No sir, I'm Canadian."
    Him "Is that a Yankee?"
    Her "EARL they ain't Yankees!"
    Me "What's a Yankee?"
    Him, clearly getting annoyed, "Anyone NORTH of the Mason Dixon Line"
    Me "Well I'm Canadian"
    Her "EARL they ain't Yankees!"
    Him "Is that a Yankee?"
    What I said, "No"
    What I wanted to say, "well sir, technically YOU are North of the Mason Dixon Line." Which he was by about 2 miles.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because I'm smiley and like kittens and things that sparkle that I can't LOVE metal and hold my own in a mosh pit.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Now that sh1t is hilarious....this has been stolen and put on my wall...thanks for the laugh... :laugh:
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with a particular steretype, but it's one I don't really mind because it's fun to show people that they're wrong.

I've played in punk bands most of my life, and, even at age 32, I still dress in a fairly punk style. (I don't have a mohawk anymore, but I have tattoos, and I generally wear sleeveless t-shirts, a leather biker jacket, a sleeveless jean jacket with patches, spikes, etc...that kind of thing.) And, partially because I am still active in the music scene, I am often out at bars and clubs and such, and they're mostly the kinds of places that are populated by a crowd that is significantly younger than I am.

The combination of these factors (still dressing like a punk in my 30s and still hanging out at "alternative"-type bars that are more catered toward younger people) tends to make people think that I'm an immature, sad, lonely, uneducated drunk. They don't tend to take me for the kind of person who went to college, so it's always fun when people find out that I have a Masters Degree, and I, in fact, TEACH college. :)
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Because I am from a small town in Kansas, college degrees and have to dress professionally for my job I must be that clean cut all American girl. I can't like heavy metal music and have tattoos.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Because I am from a small town in Kansas, have college degrees and have to dress professionally for my job I must be that clean cut all American girl. I can't like heavy metal music and have tattoos.

Sorry for the double post.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    "I have a lot of FRIENDS, so I MUST love to drink and party."
    CRAP! Maybe stereotypes are correct. That one fits me perfectly.
    :drinker:
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Because I am a woman, I must love to shop. It is, in fact, probably my least favorite thing on the planet. I think I'd rather have my teeth pulled without Novocaine. I *hate* shopping.

I'm well outside the usual stereotype on this one. If I'm dating someone, I actually have no problem going shopping with her. For clothes, shoes, whatever. I will walk around the mall all day and watch you try on clothes as long as you make sure I'm fed first (otherwise I get grumpy). :)

It's traditionally been difficult for me to convince a girl that I AM SERIOUS. Yes, I REALLY DO like shopping. Their reaction tends to be "But....men hate shopping. Aren't you hating this?"

I think it's funny.