Paleo diet?

Options
I have been doing a little research on meal planning that cut out processed foods and sugar. I stumbled on the Paleo or Paleolithic diet. It is a diet that reflects how we ate as early humans 150,000 years ago. Some parts I think I can deal with, I have been contemplating cutting out the processed foods and refined sugar for a few weeks now. But, they instruct you to cut out dairy, grains, and legumes. I just don't know if I can conceive in my mind that yogurt, whole grains, and beans are bad for you! Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts, advice, or experience from the Paleo diet?

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a little more than a month. I have been grain free for that whole time. I feel so much better, more energy and far fewer digestion issues. I'm still working on the dairy (I have drastically reduced it) and sugar (again, drastically reduced).

Check out Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson's sites. Also feel free to friend me and take a look at my diary.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Any highly restrictive diet is silly in my opinion. Eating less refined sugar and carbs is great but there's no need to totally eliminate them or anything else. Most of these fad diets use a nice sounding theory as their base and back that up with cherry picked "facts" from actual research, and that's the better ones. When analyzed further, the fad theories usually don't hold much water or are unnecessarily restrictive. I urge more people to spend time researching how the body's metabolism actually works and plan your eating around that.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a little more than a month. I have been grain free for that whole time. I feel so much better, more energy and far fewer digestion issues. I'm still working on the dairy (I have drastically reduced it) and sugar (again, drastically reduced).

Check out Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson's sites. Also feel free to friend me and take a look at my diary.

I just finished reading a huge blog that referenced those two guys. I think I am going to start monday, take the weekend to grocery shop and prepare some meals in advance. I will probably have to take baby steps to cut out dairy and grains. I have always eaten yogurt and whole grains and thought them to be healthy so that will be an obstacle. The biggest wall to get over will be my boyfriend.. he eats whatever he wants and is still skinny. And such an enabler!! He is always trying to get me to indulge in ice cream and junk with him. I think he feels less guilty that way.. lol
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This kind of eating is based on a theory of what you might call "evolutionary nutrition," that the optimal diet for humans is the one we were eating during the paleolithic era.

My problems with this are:
    -You can't really nail down what people ate during that time period. The only real conclusion you can draw is that people ate whatever happened to be available, and that people can thrive on many different types of diets
    -Even if we could nail down what people ate during that period, and even if it were the same for all humans living everywhere, what evidence is there that a diet from that particular historical period is optimal
    -There are 7 billion people on earth, we're not feeding them all without grains.

The positive aspects of the diet is that it focuses on the elimination of processed foods. While I agree that processed foods should be limited, I still believe they can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm quite familiar with it's and the extremely restrictiveness is it's achilles heel. It's definitely a healthy diet, and contrary to popular belief is not necessarily a low carb diet. The problem with the paleo diet is the extreme deciple diatribe, much like vegan speak, so if you can adhere to the basic philosphy of natural ingredients I personally don''t see anything wrong with consuming potato's, beans, dairy, tomatoes, butter or grain..............it's really about a diet that you can continue to follow for the rest of your life as opposed to a quick paleo, atkin, med diet blah, blah, blah. I follow a farm to fork philosophy which works perfectly for me, but I'm not about to tell someone to follow that, if it's going to be a problem for them, what would be the point.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Any highly restrictive diet is silly in my opinion. Eating less refined sugar and carbs is great but there's no need to totally eliminate them or anything else. Most of these fad diets use a nice sounding theory as their base and back that up with cherry picked "facts" from actual research, and that's the better ones. When analyzed further, the fad theories usually don't hold much water or are unnecessarily restrictive. I urge more people to spend time researching how the body's metabolism actually works and plan your eating around that.

I do agree with you. I don't like how restrictive the plan is. I think I will modify it so that I can still have moderate amounts of grains and dairy (specifically yogurt, milk, and whole grain bread). But, I would like to increase my veggies and protein and remove the processed foods and refined sugars. I am trying to get back to lifting heavy again and I know my current diet won't facilitate muscle gain and fat loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age?? I just can't get past this to even bother taking the diet seriously.

I understand avoiding processed and refined foods, and to some extent wheat..
  • erickirb
    Options

I do agree with you. I don't like how restrictive the plan is. I think I will modify it so that I can still have moderate amounts of grains and dairy (specifically yogurt, milk, and whole grain bread). But, I would like to increase my veggies and protein and remove the processed foods and refined sugars. I am trying to get back to lifting heavy again and I know my current diet won't facilitate muscle gain and fat loss.

No type of diet will work for fat loss and muscle gain at the same time. You need to eat at a caloric surplus to gain muscle, but at a caloric deficit to lose fat.

To maintain muscle in a caloric deficit protein is needed as well as heavy weight, while in a caloric surplus building muscle needs protein and heavy weights. So the only difference really comes down to the number of calories consumed, as higher protein and heavy weights is best from gaining muscle, and losing fat without sacrificing lean muscle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This kind of eating is based on a theory of what you might call "evolutionary nutrition," that the optimal diet for humans is the one we were eating during the paleolithic era.

My problems with this are:
    -You can't really nail down what people ate during that time period. The only real conclusion you can draw is that people ate whatever happened to be available, and that people can thrive on many different types of diets
    -Even if we could nail down what people ate during that period, and even if it were the same for all humans living everywhere, what evidence is there that a diet from that particular historical period is optimal
    -There are 7 billion people on earth, we're not feeding them all without grains.

The positive aspects of the diet is that it focuses on the elimination of processed foods. While I agree that processed foods should be limited, I still believe they can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation.

^^ this
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have been Primal (very similar to Paleo, but slightly less restrictive with regards to dairy) for almost 8 months, and I have never been happier or healthier. Please read my blog post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/4milesat40/view/6-months-primal-179202 and also come check out the Primal/Paleo group forum here on MFP.

It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I think everyone should give it a serious try for 30 days before knocking it.

:)
    Amy
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends and his wife have been on the Paleo diet for about a year. It sounds like a total lifestyle for them, and they don't appear to waver. He has lost 94 lbs. I looked into it, but I just think it'd be a really hard thing to stick to. Eating out must be a nightmare, and for me, it would remove a lot of the enjoyment out of food and dining.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Yes if you are 100% healthy and feel great and don't think the long-term health data is there and compelling.

But if you have health or energy issues the right kind of highly restricted diet is exactly where you should start. There are many forms of food intolerance that are not obvious without using a highly a restricted diet to tease them out. Addressing that is VERY important for some people. Although I'm not really sure paleo is the way to go for that.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm primal too, I eat dairy. i also eat the occasional legume, especially peanuts. I avoid all grains, and I am allergic to wheat. It's working great for me.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I did this diet (Timothy Ferriss style) last year and in 40 days lost 30lbs. I felt amazing. I wish I would have stayed on it. I gave myself one cheat meal a week too.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think I will modify it so that I can still have moderate amounts of grains and dairy (specifically yogurt, milk, and whole grain bread).

Yogurt and milk - okay. Any bread - whole grain or not - just isn't healthy. It's not. Check out the book Wheat Belly or www.wheatbellyblog.com for more info.

Just because it's whole grain doesn't mean it's good for you. It's like saying that filtered cigarettes are healthy when compared with unfiltered cigarettes. I mean, maybe they're technically not as bad, but they're still not healthy.

I truly don't understand the venom of some of the anti-Primal/Paleo posters on here. Read about wheat. Learn how it has been genetically modified for greater yield, and about the poisonous side effects of that modification. Consider the amazing, life-changing success that many people have had by eliminating it from our diets.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, and to share resources.

Amy
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age??

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has been eating this way for 7 weeks and she's convinced she'll never go back. Absolutely LOVES it and as a bonus is down 17 lbs. It's definitely something that you have to be ready for because it is a lifestyle change!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I think I will modify it so that I can still have moderate amounts of grains and dairy (specifically yogurt, milk, and whole grain bread).

Yogurt and milk - okay. Any bread - whole grain or not - just isn't healthy. It's not. Check out the book Wheat Belly or www.wheatbellyblog.com for more info.

Just because it's whole grain doesn't mean it's good for you. It's like saying that filtered cigarettes are healthy when compared with unfiltered cigarettes. I mean, maybe they're technically not as bad, but they're still not healthy.

I truly don't understand the venom of some of the anti-Primal/Paleo posters on here. Read about wheat. Learn how it has been genetically modified for greater yield, and about the poisonous side effects of that modification. Consider the amazing, life-changing success that many people have had by eliminating it from our diets.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, and to share resources.

Amy

You can make bread with no wheat (Ezekiel bread)
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a little research on meal planning that cut out processed foods and sugar. I stumbled on the Paleo or Paleolithic diet. It is a diet that reflects how we ate as early humans 150,000 years ago. Some parts I think I can deal with, I have been contemplating cutting out the processed foods and refined sugar for a few weeks now. But, they instruct you to cut out dairy, grains, and legumes. I just don't know if I can conceive in my mind that yogurt, whole grains, and beans are bad for you! Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts, advice, or experience from the Paleo diet?

I am Primal, which is similar to Paleo, but allows some dairy :) www.marksdailyapple.com is a great website. Even if you disagree, it's worth checking out.
  • hrtoftx
    Options
    I actually have a friend that started doing this a while back. She has a blog with some of her meals that she has made. I myself dont think that I could do this but some of the foods she makes are interesting.
    Check it out

http://paleomermaid.blogspot.com/