Paleo diet?

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I truly don't understand the venom of some of the anti-Primal/Paleo posters on here.

It's because followers of paleo make statements like this:

Any bread - whole grain or not - just isn't healthy.

You statement implies that there is NO AMOUNT of wheat that can be included in a healthy diet, and that this is the same for ALL PEOPLE. <----There is simply no evidence of that.

Also, issues about gluten aside, concerns about wheat extrapolated to grains that don't even contain gluten.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    I think I will modify it so that I can still have moderate amounts of grains and dairy (specifically yogurt, milk, and whole grain bread).

Yogurt and milk - okay. Any bread - whole grain or not - just isn't healthy. It's not. Check out the book Wheat Belly or www.wheatbellyblog.com for more info.

Just because it's whole grain doesn't mean it's good for you. It's like saying that filtered cigarettes are healthy when compared with unfiltered cigarettes. I mean, maybe they're technically not as bad, but they're still not healthy.

I truly don't understand the venom of some of the anti-Primal/Paleo posters on here. Read about wheat. Learn how it has been genetically modified for greater yield, and about the poisonous side effects of that modification. Consider the amazing, life-changing success that many people have had by eliminating it from our diets.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, and to share resources.

:)
    Amy

There's a thing called context and dosage. Take a look a http://www.bluezones.com/ People who live the longest on our planet have a varied diet that no one person could ever give credit that one is better than the other. Why, because diet is a small part of long life.....Also comparing tobacco with grain should be a red flag you should see, but don't..........paleo and vegans have much in common.
  • amyk023
    amyk023 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal since early October and have been surprised at how easy it's been to stick with it. There is a large online community who share plenty of recipes. Primal eating also allows eating dairy, something I wouldn't have been able to give up. Do some reading, like other's have suggested look at Mark Sisson and Rob Wolf. If you would like to cut sugar and processed foods, without the restrictions of the Primal/Paleo diet look at Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Primal and love the results it is giving me both in terms of physique and health. There are a couple groups focused on Paleo / Primal here on MFP that are a better forum since they tune out all the negative juju from folks that have a problem with it and / or just do not get it.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    MODERATION!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I just have serious doubts about cutting ALL wheat/gluten based carbs out of my diet. And no dairy? I happen to love fruits and veggies but really?
  • sunnygal1
    Options
    I love the Paleo diet. It makes sense to me and it works for me. I've lost weight, toned up, and I'm more energetic. I am a fitness instructor and I exercise intensely about 10 hours a week, and the Paleo way of eating works for me (yep I had to say it again!). It seems restrictive at first, but there are so many tasty recipes to make that my diet is actually much more varied than before in that I've tried all sorts of new vegetables and herbs that I had never even considered before. I'm not perfect, there are times that I allow myself protein bars (during the week) or some ice cream or popcorn or something on the weekend, but I try to eat the Paleo way about 80% of the time or more. I got started by buying the Everyday Paleo book by Sarah Fragaso from Amazon.com.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you the best in achieving your fitness and nutrition goals!!
  • mikki629
    Options
    I truly don't understand the venom of some of the anti-Primal/Paleo posters on here.

What venom?

People on here are giving OP their opinions and advice. If their responses seem venomous for you, then relax and take a step back to figure out why. And as always remember that what you think is right is not always going to be what everyone else thinks. It doesn't make them rude, evil, or automatically wrong for differing from you.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've been Primal.. I still have dairy but no grains. When I do cheat and have some pasta I feel awful the next day and have tummy issues... When I stick with it I feel so much better and do not get hungry!

Marks Daily Apple is full of great stuff.

I think everyone has an eating style that will work best for them, for me it's no grains, reduced processed foods.

Sugar=Crack
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I just have serious doubts about cutting ALL wheat/gluten based carbs out of my diet. And no dairy? I happen to love fruits and veggies but really?

Marathon runners usually get 55-70% of their cals from carbs, not sure how you would do that without grains.
  • Mylissa6
    Mylissa6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried a modified version of this before I really started dieting and I lost weight without even keeping track of my calories. I would have a multi grain piece of bread in the morning and would allow my self pasta or potatos once a week for dinner. I found I ate a lot of salad with tuna, with vinegar and olive oil for the dressing, for lunch. I did eliminate dairy for the month that I did this because it was just something I wanted to try. All in all the best thing I learned was to stay away from processed foods. Now instead of grabbing a processed low cal. snack or lunch I eat more natural foods. I would suggest modifing it so it works for you. Good luck with your journey.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age??

^^^^THIS^^^^

This argument is simply silly because it assumes the only predictor of longevity is diet and also ignores the fact that there is a lot of disagreement about the actual longevity of our pre-civilization ancestors.

We simply cannot ignore things like modern buildings that protect us from the elements and modern medicine which handles things well. If an ancient ancestor broke a bone or got a bad tooth cavity it could lead to an untimely end. Not to mention greater risk from predators and neighboring tribes, higher infant mortality rates, illnesses that now have been all but eradicated through vaccination, etc.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Marathon runners usually get 55-70% of their cals from carbs, not sure how you would do that without grains.

Lots of potatoes, I suppose.
  • sunnygal1
    Options

I am a runner too and I eat the Paleo way. My best half marathon times were while I was on the Paleo diet. I guess you'll never know if it's the right eating plan for you unless you try it! Give it 30 days and see if you like it. If not, go back--no harm, no foul. :)
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a primal diet for several months now (so some dairy is allowed, as @misskim mentioned above).

No matter what you do, definitely study or read up on the Paleo and Primal philosophies out there, as previously mentioned. In the end, what I think is key is listening to your body and what it needs and how it functions when you eat whole foods for awhile and skip the junk.

Another great resource is the Whole 30 (see http://www.whole9life.com/whole30 for details), which basically has you eating only good fats, meats, and plenty of vegetables and fruit for 30 days. I just finished that exercise and it was really eye opening.

Do check out the Paleo/Primal groups here on MFP, as well. Happy also to answer questions, etc. Feel free to friend me if you like.

Good luck!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    what I don't get is why would we want to eat like they did thousands of years ago when the lift expectancy was less than 40 years of age??

^^^^THIS^^^^

The average life expectancy was lower because they didn't have the protection and shelter that we have today and they didn't have doctors and hospitals that we have today, and they had to hunt and gather and migrate, etc. which left them very vulnerable to injury and illness.

Why is that even an arguement against the diet? Anyone can understand the difference. :laugh:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    food for thought early humans and not so early humans ate each otheri nor was theri life span very long wheat oats and barly grows wild they ate it along with grass and every thing else i think most things from the caveman days should stay theri i do like things fresh and with out chemicals but if this kind of diet helps you reach your goals i say good luck all that really matters i love grains and dairy in small amounts
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

This argument is simply silly because it assumes the only predictor of longevity is diet and also ignores the fact that there is a lot of disagreement about the actual longevity of our pre-civilization ancestors.

We simply cannot ignore things like modern buildings that protect us from the elements and modern medicine which handles things well. If an ancient ancestor broke a bone or got a bad tooth cavity it could lead to an untimely end. Not to mention greater risk from predators and neighboring tribes, higher infant mortality rates, illnesses that now have been all but eradicated through vaccination, etc.

Thank you....!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^

How can you 100% sure that he diet didn't contributed to the shorter life expectancy?